Locks on Rod Lockers and Storage Bins

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
This is a good one for Ken or Craig:

The lids over the rear storage bins and the battery compartments on my V-18 don't have locks. I'd like to add the same kind of keyed locks that are on the rod lockers and the front storage bin.

I know that this would mean cutting some holes and grinding a lock channel in the ribbing, but would you recommend a different approach? If not, what is the part number for these locks, and can I order them from you via e-mail?

Thanks.

Mark

Good question.

Mark, Hope you don't mind my horning in on your question but...guys, if we have a key number or the lock number for the locks that came on the boat can you get more locks keyed to the same key. I'd like to put a lock on my rear compartment also. Thanks

Craig is off today, but I will get you some answers tomorrow. You can order locks keyed the same as the ones on your boat.

Mark, that sounds like a good way to go...more on this tomorrow.

I ran into the same thing on my 175 (I know for under $10K I can't expect everything). I did the tackle storage one my self with a cabinet lock from Homedepot (looks just like the ones on the rod locker). was a PAIN with only my usual tools (i'm NOT Mike the Tool Man Trepper). Cutting the hole for the lock was easy, getting a groove cut into the aluminium wall of the deck was really tough! My drill and saw handles was to long to fit so that I could drill a nice perpendicular hole and then cut evenly. So it's a bit of a ragged cut, I need to get a metal file and smooth it out.

BUT i'd love to key it to my other locks, THANKS Ken for letting us know we can order more locks keyed to the same lock as the rest of the boat.

I look forward to anyone else's ideas!

TrepMan

TrepMan, Have you tried a Dremel tool? I think you can even get them with flexible shafts to get into tight places.

OK guys, here's what we'll need. Of course I'll need hull ID#'s. Also, the lock cylinder may have a number stamped on it, or the key itself will have the # (ie C415A or PK625). Get me this info (e-mail me [email protected]) and I'll see what I can come up with.

Craig

Craig: I sent the HIN and the key number via e-mail. Thanks for helping out with this project!

Everyone else: I'll take photos of the project and put 'em up for others to see, just in case you want to try this too.

Mark

Craig, Thanks. I'll have to get back with you in the spring. Boats in storage now.

It was good to talk to you on the phone, Craig. I really appreciate the help and assistance you give to the folks on this site.

Kudos to Craig, Ken, Kathy and the entire Detroit BPS staff!

(Are you reading this, Tracker Marine corporate?)

There ought to be a 5-star program for Tracker dealers, like Chrysler's. And this staff should get the first award.

Nominations for other 5-star dealerships, anyone? Maybe that could be another post. "Owner-approved 5-star Dealers"

Mark

Now you know exactly why Mini and I feel so lucky and proud to be a part of it,....that crew ROCKS!!

Feed off their Energy!!!! LOL

Thanx Mo, good leadership means nothing without a great staff behind you.

Latest posts

Back