Loading boat - In Current

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Haugh

Reaction score
I appreciate your patience. I know there have been many posts about loading a boat on the trailer. I am happy to advise I have it (almost) mastered it - in lakes.

So I don't look like a complete fool next weekend, can someone advise if the exact same techniques apply when loading in moderate current? We are headed to the Illinois river next weekend. I was there once before and embarrassed myself. I had issues getting the boat TO the trailer. The launch is 3 wide and we had the middle ramp (of course, the rookie gets the middle). Long story short, we had the trailer too deep, and I had to jump out of the boat to stop it from floating into the boat next to us. Not an experiece I want to relive. I know I won't, because I won't be that deep this time.

So my question in a nutshell. In moderate current, do you back the trailer in like normal (calm lake), or do you back in a little shallower so the trailer 'grabs' the boat and prevents it from floating sideways into your neighbor? Power load required.

When we were there last time, we saw a guy power-up on his trailer, leave the power ON, get out of the boat, climb in the truck, and back her down another 1-2ft - with the power on! :unsure:

I could do that with the wife along next weekend if needed. Thankfully, I won't have to leave the boat to pull it off.

My experience loading boats in river current is the same as a lake with a strong wind. Me personally,I back my trailer in till the bunks are all submerged to get them wet then I pull forward till about 1-2 feet of the middle bunks are out of the water. I do that no matter the situation. In current I was taught to drive in against the current. Example,the current is moving from right to left across your trailer so you would come at the trailer slightly to the left with the bow angled to the right of center. Once I hit the trailer,I power up enough to feel the bunks grab at which point the boat should center itself,straighten the wheel then add a bit more power to run all the way into trailer.

I dont know if that makes sense. Its easier shown than described lol. Under no circumstances should you ever get out of the boat with the motor still engaged unless you want to be "that guy" we've all seen at the ramp goin "I dont understand what happened".

+1 on normal trailer depth

+1 on driving up current

As for getting out with the motor running and in gear. Would you get out of your truck with it running and in gear?

Appreciate the input. I understand about coming in at an angle too. Thanks. We will be fine this time.

BTW, I did cut the motor before I bailed. :cool:

It was still pretty embarrassing, however. Although I was not the most embarrassed. There were a couple guys that were not so lucky. You know the sound of boat hitting boat... Not good. I hate that sound. :wacko:

Ed-Anyone that says they have never done something embarrassing at the ramp has either never loaded a boat, or they are fishermen and therefore liars by nature! I think we would all rather answer endless questions than get hung up behind someone who won't ask. I once had a guy block a 6 slot ramp while he untied his 25' pontoon, loaded the equipment, then broke out the wrench to put in the plugs in the pontoons! I tried to nicely explain that could be done before he got to the ramp, but I don't think it got through.

If I can have the driver angle the trailer to the current...it hepls a bunch;)

Latest posts

Back