loading a bass boat without power loading

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wagner

Reaction score
Hi,

A number of lakes I fish strictly forbid power loading at the lauch sites, and I have no choice but to winch the boat in. I have a new Z7 I'm learning to do this with, and I tried having 2/3 of the bunks submerged and 1/3 out of water (which worked with my old boat). It was extremely difficult to crank in using the winch. With my old boat, if I would have the bunks completely submerged, the boat would not settle properly and usually end up crooked on the trailer.

Do any of you have experience loading bass boats where power loading is prohibited? How much of the bunks do you submerge?

Thanks,

Mike

Submerge the bunks completely and put the boat on the trailer. Winch the boat up to the roller and pull out slightly, if the boat is on the trailer it will usually settle on the bunks correctly. Before you pull to far out get out and check to see if the boat is sitting properly.

HP

I have a 7 as well. I'll back down until all bunks are wet, then drive out till the top one inch of fender shows, then drive the boat on, might have to crank the last foot or so, but it goes smooth

Ran into the same problem on some small lakes in MI., spray the runners with a silicon spray, just remember that it will slide the next time you launch. A steep ramp without a hook and your boat will be on the ramp before the water.

just put new boards on our trailer and bought those plastic plates that go over the carpet and its amazing how the boat slides off the trailer--havent winched it on the trailer yet but when we load we have to keep the boat in gear or it slides back in the water---almost too slippery---not sure if it would screw up your fiberglass boat. We have a tin boat.

I had a Ranger bass boat which I installed polished aluminum diamond plate on the front of the trailer so I could step on. Just leave the trailer a little less in the water from where you noticed in launching then just leave the boat in gear at idle, step out and winch the last foot or so. Works with me. Powering on at ramps tears up props!

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. This definitely gives me some ideas to try out.

I have a Z7 also. I agree with wetting the bunks and then 1" of the top of the fender showing above water.

I also have a Z-7, and if I do as yall say (1" of the fender showing above water), I'll never get the boat loaded. I know, I tried that once, and I now have 2 nice indentations in my bow rubrail from the bow roller side plates.

I back mine in fully to wet all the bunks, then pull up until the outermost bunks have about 3" showing above the water. This also means the water level is about 3" up the fender from the step pad.

I can idle on to within 2' of the roller, then a little power pushes her to where she needs to be.

The depth and angle of the ramp makes such a difference. I have only every owned Aluminium until now and always hand winched mine on without ever getting the wheel bearings wet.

Now I have a Z6 and have to dunk the trailer in the water to power load as I was warned not to winch at all, even the last foot or so and checked my manual which also warns not to winch any at all.

I power load but as a rule, depending on sharpness of ramp etc, I back in until the mudguards are just above or at water level. I always silicone my bunks for both unloading and loading and find I need to gently power load the last 2 - 3 only with not alot of effort.

If the boat isn't exactly dead centre, I simply give it a nudge when it's out in the carpark and it centres itself.

Reality is, each ramp will be different and even weather conditions etc will play a big part.

Most of all, take your time. Once you get it hooked, you can always have someone back you in a little further so you can winch until snug. I put the tailgait down on my sierra to help with being able to stand/sit if necessary. Having a truck with a bed goes along way in helping get in/out on these restricted lakes. Keeps you dry.

I take a pair of hip boots with me when I know that I have to winch my boat onto the trailer.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I tried leaving about 1" of the bunks exposed, and the boat went on the trailer perfectly and it was not too hard to winch in.

Mike

also leave the boat running and in gear to aid the winching. Once on the bow roller, get back in the boat and shut off the motor and tilt it up.

Latest posts

Back