livewell pump blowing fuses

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
In my last tourney, my passenger side livewell pump kept blowing fuses. It's one large well with a divider so the one pump on my side will fill it, but slowly, and I prefer both for maximum aeration.

I was also having an issue with the switch as the livewell was draining out while on recirc, when I'd run. So I took apart the valve and sure enough, the rubber "flappers" were not lined up properly and had let go. My assumption was that since they were off, when I dialed the valve to "Recirc" it was actually going a little past and leaving the valve open.

Then when I'd put it on fill, the valves were actually blocking the pump a little, thus causing it to trip the fuse.

So I took it apart, cleaned it, super glued the rubber "flappers" and reassembled it.

Then I was getting a bit of water in the bilge. Nothing major, but I know it's coming from that valve. I also, cleaned out the whole line too.

And then the fuses kept blowing. So what do I check? I've done this a lot, but lots of hands make light work. And I'm hoping you guys will pick up on the obvious that I'm forgetting.

Tonight I'm going to rewire the harnesses (had to wire one in the rain in a tourney) and heat shrink them afterwards to eliminate the possibiliy of a short that's causing the fuses to blow.

Then I'll take the valve apart again and clean it, glue it one last time, and silicone the seal so it's water tight. I will also run a snake down the open lines to be sure nothing is restricting the flow.

Other than that, I don't know what else it could be. Any ideas? :huh:

It could be the pump itself. If its binding up or not turning freely it can make it blow fuses. Might be worth it to just change it out just in case.

I had a similar problem with my recirc pump and while it worked over time it would pop the fuse, i replaced the pump and its been problem free since.

Mine blew fuses on my 99 518. I replaced the pump and that fixed mine. Found a small piece of fishing line on my impeller I think lead to the death of my pump.

I'm with Jim on this one. The pump could be overheating or drawing more than it should. Replace the pump, you can always have it as a "spare" or return it if it's not the problem.

Pull the pump out...it's proabaly got a little sand pebble in there. Mine did it about two times within a year so I replaced it with snap in pump from Flowrite. Alot easier to clean now...although you can't remove it on the water unless you plug up the intake.

Latest posts

Back