Livewell Operation / Problems

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Not to annoy anyone but rather than post to my message from yesterday and get overlooked I wanted to explain how I have been operating my livewell and my assumption to how it should work. Since the replies are confusing me. It's obvious I need a lesson in livewell operation.

This is what I do:

Step 1) Switch Livewell Aerator button to manual and fill 3/4 way to back wall drain plug.

Step 2) Turn Aerator button to automatic. (I assume this would bring in fresh water on every cycle).

Step 3) Turn Recirc button to auto with the nozzle pushed in (the recirc nozzle has a pumpout feature when pulled out)

Step 4) Watch the livewell flood over the lid and onto the deck when aerator cycles back on in auto. Every three minutes!

I have to much water in the livewell. The timers on both features are working in three minute intervals(they do not have an adjustment.

Tank design.

The tank has two nozzles above the water line, aerator & Recirc. the overflow is on the back wall of the tank, just below nozzles. There is a rubber plug in a drain hole on the bottom of the tank.

What am I doing wrong?

Someone on the last post replied to slow down the rate the fresh water comes into the tank, i will try. But like Tex said, you should be able to get fresh water in the tank when you want and not have a flooding problem.

Thanks

Well, have you tried turning off the recirculate, and just running on auto?

Eliminate some options, and then try adding them back one at a time. Right now, you don't know if it's the recirc or the auto timer, or a combination of both.

Tex

That what's this site is for:) Not just fishing...You'll find a wealth of info here and ton of BS:)

Tee, I know, but sometimes I can sound like a broken record.

Second weigh tourney coming up this weekend and I am getting kinda pumped up about it. Heck I will just let the tank overflow all day if I had to, I guess to much water is better than none!

I prefished this past weekend and found a good pattern on location. As far as color it appears they are hitting everything from bright to dark. But I will stick to the bright, the water is still very cloudy from the chemical treatment. To my suprise, I caught a 19" Smallie in this lake, I always thought it had LMB only. In any event I think I have a good choice of lures going into this tourney since I got a some advice from you guys on what to use in these conditions.

No problem with the questions, at all. That's one of the main reasons we are here.

The other thing is, as long as it working, don't let it put you off your 'game' this weekend.

Tex

It sounds to me like your overflow is not working right. I would check if for obstructions or kinks in the line. As far as your procedure it looks fine, you should be able to run the areator without worry because the overflow should drain off excess water.

Chris, Give Roger Miller a call at Flow Rite. He'll be able to tell you if you're doing something wrong in your proceedure or if it's something wrong with the equipment.

Sounds like you have the new pump out livewell.

Telephone

(615) 443-0264

FAX

(616) 243-5151

Postal address

3412 Lousma Dr. S.E. Grand Rapids, MI 49548 (map)

E- mail

Technical Assistance: [email protected]

Phone/Fax (615) 443-0264

Chris, I haven't followed this thread very closly because I seldom use my livewell and didn't feel like I had anything useful to add so I may be asking something here that has already been answered but here goes. What does your dealer say? This is a pretty new boat isn't it?

Harpo

Sounds to me like your overflow is plugged up. I have the same system and use it exactly as you explain, and mine does not overflow. I would look for obstruction in the overflow drain. Just my 2 cents, good luck. Let us know the solution when you find it. Thanks.

Harpo,

The dealer said "Don't use your aerator when fishing, just recirc. while trolling around and fishing" that is obviously not the answer I was looking for, does not seem right. As Tex and others said, you want the aerator to run while fishing to bring in fresh oxygentated water. The dealer mentioned a low center of gravity in the boat causes it to overflow on the deck rather than out the overflow drain. Sam gave me the number for the flowrite people and I spoke to someone over there, they were very freindly and helpful, he also said he could not beleive the dealer would say something like that. The system is made to be aerator while trolling or stationary and not to be used while on plane! He gave me some things to try out that I will do today. He also thinks the overflow could be obstructed.

I will keep you guys informed of my progress. I will bring the boat in for dealer maintenance if I can't figure it out.

Al Cannia,

So you keep the recirc. pulled out to drain water while on auto? And then keep the aerator on auto so they fill and drain water at the same time? Maybe that's the answer. It would be great if they gave better instructions. I will try this.

Carl,

Do you keep the recirc. pulled out? or in while on auto. And to just to be clear, you keep both rocker switches on auto to maintain the livewell?

Thanks,

Chris

I keep it in, not pulled out. Pulled out, to my understanding, is only for the purpose of using the pump-out feature, later when you want to drain the livewell. Yes I keep both rocker switches on auto to maintain and keep the livewell both recirculated and aerated. I have kept fish alive in there 2-3 days later this way (I put a charger on the starting battery and ice or iced milk jugs to keep cool) just to be able to eat the fish fresh.

Latest posts

Back