Livewell draining (help)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firedog978

Reaction score
Ok all, I need some help.

Over the winter I replaced my livewell pump. Not just the cartridge but, the entire pump. I put in a Rule 500GPH Tournament series. The current version of what I had originally. By the way, I have a 175 Sport fish and ski 2001 model.

Since changing the pump I cannot get the livewell to hold water. I have the toggle at the console (empty or auto). I am not keeping water when it's set to auto as supposed to be for keeping it full. It's not holding water in either position! The pump is working fine putting water in the livewell but, it never fills more than a couple of inches due to the water draining. There is no hose, connection, or any other leak and no water is just going into the bilge. It's actually draining through the 2-way valve and out the hose to the transom intake/outlet no matter that it's set to auto. I've taken the 2-way valve free and checked to make sure it is functioning correctly (position). It turns and closes showing the hole one way and the solid shut off the other. The cable from console to the valve is also function well (free and smooth) with no kink. So, I feel sure that it isn't clogged and sticking open.

What can be causing this!? Any suggestions or outright knowledge of why is appreciated!

I've also attached pics of the above mentioned items.

At console to fill or drain

Aerater001.jpg

First switch is manual or auto (timer)

Aerater002.jpg

This one is not the one I have but, very much alike.

V1200.jpg

Hi Firedog,

Is it possible that the valve is not closing all the way?

On my 901, my valves have always leaked. I have to put plugs in my pump out holes so the recirculating works, otherwise all the water pumps out a little at a time.

RoyC

The valves have rebuild kits for them available on the Flo-Rite website.

Roy, I'm fairly sure it's closing. It functioned well when I took it free and checked it. However, something is wrong to let the water out. It certainly would point to that valve.

Thank you Mini, I'll check into them.

Meanwhile, I think I'll remove the drain filter screen from inside the livewell and just stick a plug in it. Since the pump is working fine and fresh water will be flowing in that should do. It can then just flow out the overflow at top but, maintain a sufficient level.

Latest posts

Back