Live Well Operation Z18

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTW

Reaction score
On my 2016 z18, not sure how the livewell works. I put plug in bottom of livewell, the I believe I turn on aerator button to fill with water. Recirc button to auto to recirculate the water. To pump water out of live well (there are two holes on side of boat, do I pull out the red re-circ nozzel and put aerator on manual to pump water? I do not have pump out switches on this boat. Can you even pump out water? thanks

HTW

HTW,

The two outlets on the back Starboard side are outlets- one each for the bilge pump and your livewell pumpout- if that feature was installed in your boat originally. You are correct the red valve in the top of the tank has a center pull out (about an inch pull) that directs water from recirculation inside the tanks to the pumpout outlet. You should have a switch down below the motor control box that rotates left and right. One position drains opens or drains the livewells the other postion closes the outlet to the tank. The tank will empty while you are traveling on the water if not fully closed. The closed position will keep most water out of your livewell if you dont want to haul water there. With it open water will enter the livewell, 6" maybe, depending on your load in the boat since the inlet and bottom of the livewell are below the water line when on the water. At the back you have a drail and an inlet for the incoming water (should have a screen installed over that intake port). The other one is simply a drain. You shouldn't have to put a plug in the bottom of the livewell tank unless your boat doesn't have the rotating switch below the motor controls. Hope this helps a little.

HTW,
Let me add this from a post I did in 2018- one of the best things I ever did to save my fish....
I want to share an idea that has worked extremely well for me over the past 8 years. I see the subject of live wells come up often and I can make a recommendation that will improve your live fish or bait holding ability greatly and add an extremely quite trouble free operation. Some years ago, motivated by the annoying sudden noises created by the recirculation/aeration systems in a live well system, I decided to try one of the 12 volt "bubble pump" units, specifically the Power Bubbles air pump. I have owned the dual compartment rear livewell configuration in 3 different boats including my 2017 Nitro Z18. The very first thing I installed when I got home with the new Z18 was the two line air pump unit with lines feeding air to the bottom of both sides of the livewell box. The air pump unit comes with two feed lines and air rocks and costs less than $50. The pump is wired to attach to the 12v system (no clips) and I added an on/off switch at the helm. Current draw is extremely low on these pumps- you simply drill two 1/4" holes a the very top of both sides of the livewell and feed the line through to the compartments down low and add a touch of silicone at the drilled holes around the lines. I zip tied the air feeders to the center divider on both sides at the bottom of the tank. I installed the pump unit just behind the livewell boxes inside the back hatch glued to a thick piece of packing foam to be sure no vibration is transferred to the boat body or hull. extremely quite operation with only a very slight hum- if you are over it at the back and it's very quite around you. I turn it on when I hit the water and don't turn it off until I'm home. you can use half the amount of water and never use noisy aeration or recirculation provided by the pump system that circulates water. My fish never die- even with upper 80 degree water temps like we have here in the summers in Louisiana. I have been amazed at how well this works. If you do this, I can guarantee you will say its the best improvement you have ever done to keep fish alive. You can carry fish all day and if you decide to turn them back they will be so lively that you can hardly get them out!

HTW,

The two outlets on the back Starboard side are outlets- one each for the bilge pump and your livewell pumpout- if that feature was installed in your boat originally. You are correct the red valve in the top of the tank has a center pull out (about an inch pull) that directs water from recirculation inside the tanks to the pumpout outlet. You should have a switch down below the motor control box that rotates left and right. One position drains opens or drains the livewells the other postion closes the outlet to the tank. The tank will empty while you are traveling on the water if not fully closed. The closed position will keep most water out of your livewell if you dont want to haul water there. With it open water will enter the livewell, 6" maybe, depending on your load in the boat since the inlet and bottom of the livewell are below the water line when on the water. At the back you have a drail and an inlet for the incoming water (should have a screen installed over that intake port). The other one is simply a drain. You shouldn't have to put a plug in the bottom of the livewell tank unless your boat doesn't have the rotating switch below the motor controls. Hope this helps a little.
Thank you Larry, this helps. When you say motor control box, do you mean the throttle assembly?

HTW,
Let me add this from a post I did in 2018- one of the best things I ever did to save my fish....
I want to share an idea that has worked extremely well for me over the past 8 years. I see the subject of live wells come up often and I can make a recommendation that will improve your live fish or bait holding ability greatly and add an extremely quite trouble free operation. Some years ago, motivated by the annoying sudden noises created by the recirculation/aeration systems in a live well system, I decided to try one of the 12 volt "bubble pump" units, specifically the Power Bubbles air pump. I have owned the dual compartment rear livewell configuration in 3 different boats including my 2017 Nitro Z18. The very first thing I installed when I got home with the new Z18 was the two line air pump unit with lines feeding air to the bottom of both sides of the livewell box. The air pump unit comes with two feed lines and air rocks and costs less than $50. The pump is wired to attach to the 12v system (no clips) and I added an on/off switch at the helm. Current draw is extremely low on these pumps- you simply drill two 1/4" holes a the very top of both sides of the livewell and feed the line through to the compartments down low and add a touch of silicone at the drilled holes around the lines. I zip tied the air feeders to the center divider on both sides at the bottom of the tank. I installed the pump unit just behind the livewell boxes inside the back hatch glued to a thick piece of packing foam to be sure no vibration is transferred to the boat body or hull. extremely quite operation with only a very slight hum- if you are over it at the back and it's very quite around you. I turn it on when I hit the water and don't turn it off until I'm home. you can use half the amount of water and never use noisy aeration or recirculation provided by the pump system that circulates water. My fish never die- even with upper 80 degree water temps like we have here in the summers in Louisiana. I have been amazed at how well this works. If you do this, I can guarantee you will say its the best improvement you have ever done to keep fish alive. You can carry fish all day and if you decide to turn them back they will be so lively that you can hardly get them out!
Thanks Larry. I did something similar when I did not have live wells. I bought a batter powered air pump from a pet store for 20 bucks and it aerated the water I kept in a large plastic storage bin. My fish lived all day. I will certainly try that again. Thanks

HTW,
Yes, the mechanical switch, to open and close the livewell drain, is just below and in front of the hand throttle arm. Also, I had forgotten that the Z18 has a vent port below the gunnel on the Port side that I didn't mention. Without running mine to see, I have forgotten but I think the bilge pump water exits from the Port side outlet and not the Starboard side. There are two drains on the Starboard side. Anyway, be sure that you push the red valve back in when using your livewell. There are some variations in how this is set up on the Z18 in different year models as I recall.

HTW,

Top Fin also makes a battery powered air circulating unit with all lines and hook ups sold at pet stores.
Secure your unit next to the live wells and take lines thru small holes on the top sides of your well.

Latest posts

Back