Live well issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avery

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Nitro 700LX but I can figure out how to pump water into my live well. The pump out feature works fine and the recir. works as well. I don’t know if it’s my lack of knowledge and the boat is smarter than I am or if I actually have a problem.

Is there a lever that has open and closed? Probably on the sidewall near the helm. If you do, it controls a valve in the hose between the livewell drain and transom that lets water into the live well, up to the water level of the boat when open. Turn to closed when the water level is ok. If you leave it open, it will drain when you run the boat. If you get the boat on plane, it might drain close to empty.

Is there a lever that has open and closed? Probably on the sidewall near the helm. If you do, it controls a valve in the hose between the livewell drain and transom that lets water into the live well, up to the water level of the boat when open. Turn to closed when the water level is ok. If you leave it open, it will drain when you run the boat. If you get the boat on plane, it might drain close to empty.
It has a push/pull valve in the livewell itself. When closed only recirculates when open only pumps out. I was thinking like you when I first got the boat looking for that lever but apparently that’s not the case in this model. I’ve tried closing it and switching to pump out thinking it might do the opposite but it just recirculates

How many hoses go to the transom? How many pumps are on the livewell? Are there any pumps on the transom that connect to the livewell hoses? Does the livewell drain when out of the water? I don't have a pump that drains the tank. I can only drain my tank when running the boat (more water will drain the faster and longer I go) or taking it out of the water. I have 2 pumps. One recirculates the water in the tank. The other one fills the tank, if I don't want to use the open/ closed valve. When the water level is where I want it, I can shut-off the pump. If I leave it on, it continues to bring fresh water in. Water will drain out the over-flow tube when the water gets high enough.
Any chance you have a fill pump wired backwards? I don't know if that's possible. If the vanes are curved you could tell by looking if the motor is turning the right direction.
(edited 5/18/2021 4:30 pm)

How many hoses go to the transom? How many pumps are on the livewell? Are there any pumps on the transom that connect to the livewell hoses? Does the livewell drain when out of the water? I don't have a pump that drains the tank. I can only drain my tank when running the boat (more water will drain the faster and longer I go) or taking it out of the water. I have 2 pumps. One recirculates the water in the tank. The other one fills the tank, if I don't want to use the open/ closed valve. When the water level is where I want it, I can shut-off the pump. If I leave it on, it continues to bring fresh water in. Water will drain out the over-flow tube when the water gets high enough.
Any chance you have a fill pump wired backwards? I don't know if that's possible. If the vanes are curved you could tell by looking if the motor is turning the right direction.
(edited 5/18/2021 4:30 pm)
I don’t know if you can tell much from this photo. The one with the blue top is the bilge it just has one hose run out the transom. The one with the black top seems to be mounted to the transom with a hose running to the livewell maybe? And the other solid white one has two hose running to the livewell so I’m guess that’s the recirculating pump. I’m the third owner of this boat and everything is as is when I bought it. I haven’t changed any pumps or anything so if one is backwards that part isn’t on me 🤣 I was told all the pumps where working properly when I purchased it. Everything else on the boat runs fine so I’m not sure if like you said, a pump is backwards or if I’m just not activating the right switches. There’s also two hose in the bottom of the boat that run towards the livewell, gas tank is in the way, but they don’t have pumps on them, coming from the transom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 38
When you pump out, where does the water exit? The yellow pump with the black top looks like mine, which is the water fill. It is controlled by an ON-OFF-ON switch. 1st ON runs the pump continuously, bringing in fresh water. 2nd ON runs the pump on a timer, 1 minute on, 3 minutes off. The water level is to the overflow hose, near the top of the tank, which empties through the transom. Or I can fill the tank through the manually controlled valve, which fills through the drain at the bottom of the tank. If you are having trouble following the hoses, you could remove the gas tank.

Guys I think I figured it out, thanks to all of y’all’s help, but after all the talk and questions I actually did some testing and turns out the yellow pump with the black top never had power to it for some reason. The previous owner had ran some lights down the side that quit working so I’m going to wire the pump into the light wire that has its own switch in the console. I’ll find out if that fixes my problem Saturday morning. I appreciate all the helpful input. If it don’t work I’ll be back 🤣

Guys I think I figured it out, thanks to all of y’all’s help, but after all the talk and questions I actually did some testing and turns out the yellow pump with the black top never had power to it for some reason. The previous owner had ran some lights down the side that quit working so I’m going to wire the pump into the light wire that has its own switch in the console. I’ll find out if that fixes my problem Saturday morning. I appreciate all the helpful input. If it don’t work I’ll be back 🤣
Sorry about being so wordy, and not thinking about the most obvious. Just thought the pump would be the 1st thing you would check. Oh (live)well.

Sorry about being so wordy, and not thinking about the most obvious. Just thought the pump would be the 1st thing you would check. Oh (live)well.
Well it would’ve been the first thing I checked but someone wired something wrong or something so every time I flipped a switch and engaged/disengaged pump out valve there was a pump running so I just assumed it had power but we all know what happens when you assume

Latest posts

Back