Lithium Batteries

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judy

Reaction score
I am thinking about switching to Lithium batteries for my Nitro Z20 2016. What would be the best setup and brand to look at?

I am thinking about switching to Lithium batteries for my Nitro Z20 2016. What would be the best setup and brand to look at?
Judy,
There is a ton of information and opinions out there on the web. Not trying to speak for others- but a lot of us have decided that the cost is just too extreme for recreational fishing applications. If you do this, let us know how it works out for you as to performance and cost factors..

Judy,
What size trolling motor is on your boat? Are you thinking of lithiums both for Trolling and Cranking? Lithiums for cranking are different from Deep cycle trolling. What type of fishing do you do? Four hours on a lake, tourney fishing in all types of lakes and weather, river fishing? You need this info to consider the AH range, the size BMS, the charging system, and number of batteries needed.

I use Ampere Time 100AH type 31 batteries in a 3 battery 36 volt setup for my trolling motor. I get over two days before charge on my normal long fishing day. They cost $349.00 each right now at Amazon, they have the only American based warehouse, all boat and automotive type lithiums are made in China. I use an Interstate AGM dual purpose type 31 for my starting battery. Those three lithium weigh the same amount as the AGM alone. I saved about 160 lbs. of weight right on my stern with them. Over the lifetime of the batteries they will save a lot of money. You'll need to replace deep-cycles four times over the time lithiums will last. A lighter boat is faster and more economical to run. Only one company makes a lithium that is "said" to be able to be used for a starter battery, Bass Pro sells this under their brand name Tracker, it is only a lithium with a 200 amp BMS (the little computer chip that regulates charging and discharging of the battery) rather than a 100 amp BMS that the Ampere Time does. Other brands do offer 200 amp BMS's as does Ampere Time but none recommend their use for starting which is a high amp and short duration function. Those lithium "starter" batteries run about a $1000.00. You'll get more watts out of a lithium than a deep cycle lead battery the same AH size or larger because you can discharge a lithium down to nearly zero % without damage, lead deep cycles only about 50% as it would shorten their lifespan significantly. I am buying a 4th lithium battery to run my electronics and stereo this week.

Judy,
What size trolling motor is on your boat? Are you thinking of lithiums both for Trolling and Cranking? Lithiums for cranking are different from Deep cycle trolling. What type of fishing do you do? Four hours on a lake, tourney fishing in all types of lakes and weather, river fishing? You need this info to consider the AH range, the size BMS, the charging system, and number of batteries needed.
The trolling motor is 36volts. We fish mostly on a lake, not tournament fishing.

You should then be fine with 50-60AH lithiums. You can go three-12V or one 36V. Its really a comfort/peace of mind thing that you will read people swearing to get 3 12V. The worry if you Cranking battery fails you can jump it from a single 12V. I think it is easier just to carry a dedicated jumpstarter. They are small and you can get good ones fairly cheap ($69-$99). I upgraded my trolling motor to 36V and got one 36V due to the price and the charger came with it. Amazon has bunches of good batteries Zoom, AmpereTime, Weize, etc for under $300.

Starbanker, You posted a thread back on 25 Jan 2022 IRT Ampere Time 100AH Type 31 Lithium batteries... Looking for feedback after you have used them for a while...Still read about a lot of problems with Lithium batteries failing and burning up battery chargers...The last guide I used a month or so back was using the Tracker Lithium batteries and had to deal with battery failure twice and losing his battery charger and went back to lead acid batteries...understand a guide using his boat daily and under pretty rough conditions sometimes, where I won't be....Wanting to put shallow water anchors on my 2022 Z19 Pro and reduce the rear weight...Thanks for any and all feedback...

I use 2 100Amp/hr Ionic Lithium batteries. Been out 3 times and have had to charge them once . I have a 24V Minnkota Terrova and 1 day I trolled with it for 3 hrs.
Love them, check out Lithium Hub. The whole experience with them was great. I did not get a lithium Ion battery for my Merc pro XS, just because Mercury does not recommend them. But Lithium batteries now have a BMS, battery management system. The horror stories I have heard of were before this was perfected. And the batteries were using a different composition then they are now. Love them, no more lead acid for me, as far as trolling motor goes.
Plus, a BIG plus is you can mount them on their side if you want, ANY position!

Starbanker, You posted a thread back on 25 Jan 2022 IRT Ampere Time 100AH Type 31 Lithium batteries... Looking for feedback after you have used them for a while...Still read about a lot of problems with Lithium batteries failing and burning up battery chargers...The last guide I used a month or so back was using the Tracker Lithium batteries and had to deal with battery failure twice and losing his battery charger and went back to lead acid batteries...understand a guide using his boat daily and under pretty rough conditions sometimes, where I won't be....Wanting to put shallow water anchors on my 2022 Z19 Pro and reduce the rear weight...Thanks for any and all feedback...
I have nothing but good things to say about AmpereTime batteries. I bought my fourth one to power my entertainment system (Got a big amp.) I never would have considered another battery if I had to put in an eighty pound battery, but at 25 pounds, big diff. I usually charge every night between days, however I haven't had to charge them more than 3 hours till full, so that tells me that I have a lot of headroom here. For under 400 bucks each you can't go wrong. I know that it makes a lot of difference performance-wise. I have a 10" hydraulic jack plate that must weigh a lot combined with the set-back puts the wieght distribution way back, this at least evens things out. I have one 4bankX10 amp NOCO charger for the lithiums and a second 1 bankX10 amp for the Interstate AGM. These are designed to handle any charging situation from 12 volt flooded, gel, AGM or lithium, plus it has a repair and 0 volt to charge function. These four batteries weigh slightly more than the AGM alone. I know a pair Talons weighs as much as an AGM and a foot at least further back, so my advice is go with the lithiums a a NOCO charger.

Latest posts

Back