Line Weighing / Watching

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Now I know why a lot of you guys are always saying it's hard to see the line in a certian color, or mention "line Watching".

Lately, I have been using more and more soft plastics, "Berkley Power Worms" or "Senkos". Seems to me especially this year that the majority of fish are taking the bait and not really giving the "TAP TAP" or taking the bait and running sideways. Just kinda sittin there with the worm in it's mouth.

I guess this is more of an observation than a question, but how do you all fish with plastics? Do you really stare at the line? Maybe I am missing more fish then I know of. This weekend none of the fish I got gave any indication they were there until I lifted the pole to move the worm a bit.

I wanted to ask one other question - It also seems deadsticking the bait is much more productive this year for me, not a lot of hits on the initial fall. Any suggestions as to why that would be?

I get a lot more information from watching my line than feeling it. Because I'm usually fishing in timber and the bait is always banging into tree branchs and roots it's hard for me to tell a tap from a bass from the weight hitting a tree. BUT...when I see that line suddenly go a differant direction or stop when it should be falling, I KNOW that something is happening and it's time to set the hook.

I like P-Line for this. It lights up like neon above the water and I'm told it is invisable under water. Plus it is very sensitave and has very little stretch.

Harpo

I don't really stare at it so to speak but, I watch my line closely. I like a small belly in my line on the intial drop til' it hits bottom but, really go more by feel when slow swimmin' a worm. Powerworms are by far my "go to" bait especially here in Ohio. I don't fish them that slow this time of year due to their activity level. Hopping a worm off of the bottom is also productive...how high and fast may take some experimenting a little. A lot of times you won't even feel it..it's like you say more of just grabbin' it and settin' there. Actually I don't mind that as bad because once the I feel the tension...he's mine. What I hate is when they won't commit..no matter what you do. It's the nature of the beast...FISH ON! :)

Tee, So Power Worms are your "go to" bait. I have seen lately a lot of success with them so If you can't beat them join them right? I have been using Motor Oil Color, the 7", but I do want to try the 10" version. Have you ever tried the bigger version?

Motor Oil...my favorite color. I like that color in the Berkly Bungee Tail. I don't really care for the other Powerbait worms....they tear up too easy IMHO. Zoom also makes a motor oil/chartruse color that's good.

Harpo

I'd bet that you were missing more fish than you knew.

I have always bee a "line watcher". I think it comes from sub-surface fly fishing. I would always have to watch for very subtle indications that a fish might have grabbed the bait. A strike would seldom be transmitted to the fly line itself; it was generally just a slight hesitation in the normal movement of the leader or a different ripple where the leader would lie on the surface.

Line watching from a boat can be very difficult if the boat is not either stopped or moving at a very steady, slow pace. I can usually do it when I'm on the trolling motor and know what to expect visually but not when fishing with someone else.

me!

I do use the 10" version...mostly when Carolina riggin' though and it WILL catch fish....BIG ONES when they are active. Don't be shy...give em' a try! I've tried them all and still come back to the original. I have used the Bungee with good sucsess also.

Harpo...Powerworms still have the best scent on the market and THEY DO WORK! I have found they may not be the toughest but, they are still the best. I proved it to my buddy that uses all the "others" and outfished him 2 to 1 in the same areas. Zoom is my second choice but, always tend to come back.

There are two colors I really miss that Berkley doesn't make anymore...The combo worms in Purple Fleck/Blue tail & Black fleck/Red tail....they really shined when others would not work. My two best colors are the motor oil/pumpkinseed and the Purple fleck can be used anywhere. The pumpkinseed with chartruese tail is hot in dingy water...FISH ON!

You cannot Senko fish without watching your line. Period. That being said, I usually watch the entry point of the line to the water. That way you can see the fall without having to "feel" the bite. With a good rod, you would be amazed at how you can feel the slightest bite. Many times on a long cast (very rare with a senko), I will feel the tap even though the line is much to far away for me to see (where I prefer to watch it). In those cases a sensitive rod pays for itself. I can tell if there is a thread of weed on my bait. I hafta say that senko fishing (done correctly) is a combination of the two. Plastics as a whole are line watching baits as are J&P.

TOXIC

As Toxic said, line watching is a MUST... Now, that can be difficult at times if the wind is bowing your line or river current is sweeping toward you. I fish a Senko like Toxic told me to. I cast, usually a short distance, and watch for ANYTHING. I wait, and then I wait, and then I wait some more. I'll then raise my rod from straight ahead to about the one o'clock position. Yesterday, fishing where I took Toxic, the wind was pretty hard and the current was fairly swift. On two of the three bass I caught I DID NOT know they were on until I raised my rod. They just sucked that bait in and didn't move. I use a very sensitive rod and felt nothing until I took the slack out of the line.

One of the most difficult things, for me anyway, is discerning what is on the end of that line. The place I fished yesterday has Bass, Stripers, Gar, Pickerel, Shad, White and Yellow Perch, Bluegills, you name it. The bigger fish will usually take that Senko and GO. The smaller fish will peck away at it and if the first one or two pecks are hard enough, it's very hard for a plug chucker like me to NOT try to set that hook. You will lose a lot of Senko's that way.:)

Bill

Me, Funny you mention that about Fly Fishin, I love to "Dry Fly" but cannot nymph fish at all. It might be a patience thing. I had the feeling I was missing fish. The Power worm is balling up at the end of the hook, no damage to worm.

Tox, not looking for excuses but, one of my biggest problems latley is keeping the Tracker in one spot in the wind, it could be a real pain in the neck. I think my patience for Senkos needs to be worked on. Lately, I cast, wait 20 seconds, reel up and cast again.

Chris, that's why I don't fish Senkos very often. I've got to have something with a "sinker" on it to fight that wind sweepin' 'cross the plain.

Harpo

It is hard to adjust your style for a senko. That is the mistake that most make and why they have limited success with them. If I hear someone say that senko's don't work, I can just about guarantee you that they are working them too fast. The hardest thing is to try and tell someone how to fish them without seeing their individual fishing style first hand. Too much slack, too tight of line, too fast of a retrieve, wrong retrieve, rigging options (I rigged one wrong the other day and got -0- bites, put a new one on right and caught fish!!). After smacking Barham on the back of the head enough times until he would quit reeling, he wasn't having any success either. I have to be in the boat with you and I guarantee I can teach you how to make them work. Simple bait that is 90% more effective depending on your presentation. That's what tickles me most about them...use them the right way and they are deadly, use them the wrong way and they are marginal (and most don't have the patience or the will power to change). I will c-rig them and drop shot them also, but my fav is weightless, on light line in no more than 10 ft of water (I will c-rig for the deep stuff).

I am for hire!!!LOL!!

TOXIC

LOL @ Chris!

I eventually went to doing the same thing! Watching a trout hit a dry fly is about as exciting as fishing gets - but nymph fishing is BOR-R-R-R-R-RING. And hard on the old eyes, too.

I now switch to ultra-light spinning tackle for anything sub-surface.

Toxic, I better start savin my pennies now, but there's a catch 22, if I save for your fishin lessons I can't afford Senkos. Is it extra for not getting smacked in the back of the head?

Hey, everybody - It's always a good birthday when you catch a fish, not big but it's a B-Day fish. Wife took the picture on Sunday.

BirthDay Fish.jpg

Nah, I'll do that for free!!LOL!! (Both the lessons and the smacking). I also provide the senko's. USUALLY I can talk people through it but Barham is a little slow, hehehe. I'm payin him back for a wicked sunburn. Dang thing hurt for 2 weeks.

TOXIC

Still a good fish Chris:) It's green too...so that is a B-day bonus. Git-R-Done!

I'm absolutely convinced that I tend to fish soft plastics TOO FAST. I don't swim them back in, but I don't fish them slow enough - most of the time - either.

I think that some of it comes from fishing so much in the Federation as a non-boater, and most of the people down here fish faster. When I thought about it, my best fish (on soft plastics) were when I was fishing slower and more thoroughly.

I don't watch the line as much as I should. Having tri-focals now (ugh) and wearing fitovers, it's just more difficult for me. I've switched to using hi-vis green on some of my finesse spinning outfits, and I can definitely see that line better.

How much do you think the fish are affected (if at all), by using something like hi-vis yellow line?

Tex

Good question Tex,

I am now using green low visiabilty Spider-Line. Mainly because it was on Sale for $3.98. I have very good vision and can see it above the water, but it does dissapear in the water, and it's a very clear lake for NJ standards.

I know what you mean about the fishing fast thing, this is my first year in tourneys and I think it has alot to do with fishing faster. Skip it under a dock and 20 seconds later it's on to the next cast. Hey Tex you mentioned a couple weeks ago your standings, how are you doin now?

Chris -

Every time I see your picture.....

I think I'm looking at the third Blues Brother!

ME!, LOL, hey those are my $14.99 Cabelas Special.

I do play guitar though, well actually I don't play but I sure try to.

Red, I don't work for them anymore but I did when that Tax company was acquired. I was in 339 Jefferson Road. Do you work for the same company or know someone who does?

I think the color "thing" on line is more in one's mind than actual reality. I been proving that to myself time and time again this year with the Cajun Red line and the Flourescent green BPS line for crappie...I think it actually acts as an attractor at times....this bass was caught on The 4lb.green:)......
LooksFishy.jpg

It's not whether or not you see it, it is whether or not the slimys see it!! Personally I do believe some fish are line shy (that's why I won't use PowerPro in clear water). There are some lines that are visable yet disappear under water. They are gonna be mono or hybred (co polymer, etc.). The braids do not hide as well and I do not like leaders unless c-rigging.

Remember, plastics are designed to be seen by fish whereas the spinnerbaits/crankbaits are meant to elicit a reaction strike.

TOXIC

I'm sure they don't see the red... I can't above water...I see clear better and red is the first color to dissappear under water. I do use clear when fishing ultra clear like Dale.

Hey Tox..What's a slimy? LOL And do use much braided line?

You are holdin a green slimy in your pic and there are brown slimys, and bluegill slimys and real slimy pike and super slimy catfuish!!LOL!!

I use braid to deep fish tubes in the rocks. And I have also been known to snap a few rods on a hookset (when you see my hookset you'll know why).

TOXIC

Tex, I use Stren Hi-Vis Gold because I can see it. I also worried about the fish seeing it. Last Friday I fished a small lake with crystal clear water. I had the Hi-Vis Gold line and a Gamy RED hook. It looked like the circus was in town. Anyway, I had one of the best days I've ever had using that rig with Senko's. I fished the Senko's Texas rigged until they got tore up and then wacky rigged them and sometimes nose hooked them. I went through three packs of Senko's and each one caught at least five bass, plus a couple of pickerel and crappie. If those fish saw the line or hook, they didn't care.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the notes. I've read somewhere, the item about red not being seen. Does that mean they can't see the red hooks? Hmmmmmm.

My last Fed. Tourney is this Saturday - though Bonnie may well mess that up. Standings haven't changed - I'm still in 27th place. If I do well enough in this tourney, I may move up to a 'boater place' for the Championship in November. Need to move up two spots (to 25th), to secure the last Boater position. That would be neat.

Tex

Latest posts

Back