LIFE LINE...THIS is a cool charity

• Thread starter Bill McElroy [URL]http://bassfan.com/news_article.
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
I participated in this event this past weekend....it was my 4th in the last 5 years and 3rd in a row. The affect it has had on me both personally and professionally is unbelievable! A lot of top tour level Pro's were there,...like: KVD, Alton Jones, Mike Iaconelli, Shaw Grigsby, Kim Stricker, Kevin Wirth, Mark Zona, Kevin Vida, Art Ferguson, Terry Scroggins, Chip Harrison, Stacey King, Frank Scalish, and too many regional and local pro's to even mention.....atleast 50 Pro's total and 100 or so "guests". The "guests" pay to go fishing for 2 days with a different pro each day, and Life Line puts everybody up for both days and cover's 100% of their lodging, food, and each guest also receives a NICE gift pack with lots of donated stuff from tackle mfgr's and sponsoring companies, etc..etc. There is also a live auction and a silent auction, with 100% of the proceeds going to LifeLine. This year at the live auction alone, they raised $11,000.00!! (and that was for 8 items!!) I donated a customized S&T original, matted and framed, and that sold for $500 at the live auction. VERY COOL!!

I also had the privelage of taking 2 of LifeLine's sponsored kids fishing on Saturday....they are brother's and one is 21 and the other is 14.....the 14yr old is deaf and mute and it was the first time that either one of them had ever fished from a boat! I took them to a local lake, got them rigged up with spinning gear and tubes, and we went fishing!! It wasn't 15 minutes before "Eric" (the 14yr old) caught a nice Lrgmth and @ 5mins later, another one!! Then I caught one, and a few mins later, Matt (the 21yr old) caught 3 in a row!! Those 2 kids had the time of their lives!! Matt "interpreted" Eric's sign language and various "sounds" for me, so I could answer his questions and satisfy his "needs". At one time he wanted to go FAST, so we put the rods down and I let Eric wear my sunglasses (he didn't have any) and we went for a boat ride,....I wound that Ranger up to 65mph,....we did some tight turns and zipped around for a bit, Eric was squeeling with delight and pumping his fist like a mad man!! We ran around and back and forth and then went back to fishing. They both caught a few more and then Matt told me that Eric wanted to be back to the Great Wolf Lodge by 2pm so he could go to the indoor water park again before the 4pm "weigh-in". We got back about 230pm and Eric made a Bee-Line over to his LifeLine Guardian and proceeded to "sign to him" what a AWESOME time he had fishing and how much he liked his "pro" and how he had caught the MOST, and BIGGEST fish he's ever caught in his life!! His gaurdian told me,..."Eric was soooo excited about the day, that he was having trouble signing as fast as he was thinking......it was like he was stuttering with his fingers and hands!!....you did one helluva job with those kids!! THANK you!!".....I just told him,....."No,..THANK YOU, for the opportunity to do something like that for those 2 boys,....Matt is a helluva big brother and everything he thinks and does revolves around caring for his little brother,....I was really moved by that.....THAT is why I participate in this event every year...it's awesome!" Several other staff members from LifeLine came up to me later that day and told me how much "Matt and Eric" enjoyed their day and how t hey can't stop talking about the boat and the fishing. It was a grand slam of a weekend!!:wub:;)

You should all take time to check out the link below and think about participating next year if you can,....either as a "Guest" or a "Pro",.....what started out 6yrs ago with 5 Pro's and 10 guests, has now grown to 50 Pro's and 100 Guests,.......we can use MORE!! And you just never know,....you may get paired with KVD for a day on the water. The 2 guys I took out friday, fished with KVD on Saturday!! They both told me,...."That was the best thousand bux we ever spent in our lives,....we WILL be back next year!!"

I'll post pix
http://bassfan.com/news_article.asp?ID=1482

Here's a copy of the 'Toon I did for the auction. A guy named Les Stath has gone to this event every year since it started and he's bought EVERY ONE of the items I donate. He's a huge S&T fan,..and he told me last year, "I don't care how much it costs me....I'll never be out bid for your stuff,....I love it that much!"....so, this year, knowing he wouldn't be out bid, I put his name in the caption just to make SURE he bought it!! LOL. He did,...for $500!!

LifeLine2005S&T001.jpg

Cool deal Mac. Most people don't view deafness and a real big handicap. That's totally wrong. As I've stated on this board before, I've taught at a deaf school for 30 years. Being deaf is more than just not hearing things. Loosing your hearing is totally different from being deaf from birth. Children born deaf are left totally out of the cultural loop. The amount of verbal information a child picks up by overhearing adults and from casual conversation is incredible. Denied that a deaf child is behind in reading, language skills which is a severe handicap. Sometimes it's so overwelming that they never catch up.

Hopefully What you did was light a fire under this boy and maybe more than you realize. To learn more about fishing he may start reading the magazines and studing fishing. This will lead to a greater vocabulary and a high level of literacy. Reading is one of the most difficult subjects for deaf students to master. Missing the verbal link to a written word most deaf students have a hard time relating to the word's meaning. It takes a ton of practice for the average deaf student to read at his or her grade level.

What really really helps is an intense interst in a subject that can lead the individual to pursue a greater knowledge of that subject. It's a win win situation.

Anyway sorry to get all professional on you, but I wanted you to realize the full potential in your gift to that young boy.

Nuff said.

P.S. Did I ever mention I have a deaf younger brother?

fatrap

That's cool info Fatrap,..thanks!! Matt did tell me that even though Eric is 14,..he's only reading at a 3rd grade level.,..and he's physically a VERY small kid too...he looks like he's 8-9yrs old,.......with a mustache!! LOL!!

BTW,..He lost his hearing at 9mos old,......he caught encephalaitis and the fever "boiled" his ear drums!!:(

Mac...

What you have done is fantastic...

One of my cousin's is an electrical engineer and has some kind of biology degree... She works for a company in St. Louis that is developing alternative technology for deaf and hearing impaired. She says it is a ways off, but they have technology that may one day return a large number of deaf people to some reasonable level of hearing. She says that they have the technology, it is reducing its size further.

Sounds like fun...Very rewarding...The greatest gift you can give a person is your time!!

Greg

They have developed cocular inmplants "CI's" that have given total deaf from birth children the sensation of sound. The problem is people develop language early in life. An adult suddenly getting his/her hearing would only hear noises strange and undeciperable to them. Most adult deaf from birth people, when faced with a possible hearing for the first time, would reject the procedure. While an individual who has a chance to "regain" lost hearing would benifit and jump at the chance.

fatrap

Mike... I gues the problem with current implants has to do with the discreet variances that our hearing deals with.. things like pitch and tone...also, the "binocular" hearing we have to determine range and direction... Also, there is some kind of breakthrough on the interface between the implant and the nerves... All very "technical"... But, she is very excited about it ...

You da man Mac Daddy!! I just love to do charity events, especially with kids. I get 10 times more than I give EVERY time.

TOXIC

You've got that right bro,.....I still get the good vibes when I think about how excited Eric was when he was reelin' in fish and enjoying his boat ride,....I showed Eric a few things with my sonar and GPS unit and used hand signals and the map book to explain as best I could what was going on....I made sure to look at him so he could read my lips and he seemed to understand exactly what I was trying to explain....he'd point at arches on the sonar and use his hand to imitate a fish swimming!! I'd give him a thumbs up and he'd look at Matt and smile......Matt kept looking at me and Eric and I could tell he was thinking "Man,..this little dude is having the time of his life!!":lol::p Matt kept thanking me over and over too...he was just as stoked as Eric was!!

That trip was the best one I've had so far out of all of them......I hope they can both come back next year,...I'll ask to take them out again!! LOL

Mac

That's great, Mac. Kudos to you and the other participants for making something like this come to life. I've enjoyed helping our local Boy Scout Council put on a fishing day for scouts who are deaf, developmentally disabled (Downes Syndrome), and BLIND! Imagine the thrill that comes from handing a blind child a fishing rod rigged with a crankbait, helping them cast, then watching them reel (they like the feeling of the bait pulsing through the water), and then getting a strike.

Moments like those are few and far between in life. Your cartoon is absolutely perfect.

Way to go Bro!!

My neice Hailey had an implant put in a year ago. She's almost three and her development has been astounding! You're a good man, Billy Mac!!!

Here are a few pictures I said I'd post when the film came back (Yeah,..we're not ALL digital!!..LOL)

Here's the group shot of all the pro's.....recognize any faces??
LLPros2-2005.jpg

Here's Me and Matt getting interviewd by Mark Zona on the stage

LL2005Weighin-M&E.jpg

LL2005Weighin2-M&E.jpg

and my new BESTEST buddies after the weigh-in!! (Eric gave this "sign" to the crowd when Zona asked him if he had fun!!):lol::p

Matt&EricLL2005.jpg

and dinner with Kim and Sara Stricker

LL2005Dinner-Strickers.jpg

I can't wait to go back next year!!

Thanks for all the kind words and feedback!!

Mac

Great pics Mac. EVERYBODY ought to donate some time to a worthy cause. Take your pick there are plenty of them out there!!

TOXIC

Totally awesome!!!

Who's that hot chick on your right?!? :wub:

Nice pic's... looks like the big dogs ready for a hair cut.. your looking a little shabby!!!!!

Don't be laughin TOO hard now Gunny,.......that "love cream" was in YOUR shaving kit!!!:lol::p

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

And if he used that cream and was sneakin across the border..........He could put his #eed in dere!!

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back