Let's revisit Tony Stewart and Toyota

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Hutson

Reaction score
In one of our recent discussions on here, Tony Stewart, JGR and Toyota were brought up. I read tonight on www.tracksidetalk.com and www.captainthunderracing.com that Tony maybe looking to jump ship over the whole change to Toyotas at JGR. They are reporting that Tony may be going to Richard Childress Racing to drive a forth team car and stay with Chevrolet. None of this is on Jaski.com, so I don't know where thay got it or how true it is, but it sure made me say hhhhhhhmmmmmmm.

As I've said before, I'm not a Tony Stewart, JGR, Toyota or RCR fan. To be honest, I'm not even a huge NASCAR fan anymore. I just linked to the site via a local TN short track site.

Looks like you were on to something Mac;).

Steve

That would be cool if he did,..I'd remain a TS fan if he did that!! But,..if I see him in a 'Yota next year, you'll find my TS tshirts in the rag bin!!:angry: You can't get any more AMERICAN than NASCAR and the foreign cars belong in the GP & Indy circuits....not haulin' shine!!:cool:;)

I heard the same thing on ton'ys show on Siris, he was asked about it and declined to comment, sumthins up!

I still want to see him jump ship and win the Indy 500. That being said I would rather see him drive anything but a toy car... Make me real happy if it was a Ford....

BF

Ok, never having been a big Nascar fan, just what is JGR Steve? Cut it Out! I can hear loud laughing right now.:wacko: And, isn't Joe Gibbs going with Toyota? So who will drive for him if it's true? I'll bet Tony will stay with Gibbs no matter what.

Please, I don't want anything thrown at me but isn't Toyota the only vehicle right now being built in the United States?

Uncle Billy

JGR = Joe Gibbs Racing, Inc. Yes, JGR has announced that after 20 + years with GM, they are now leaving to join the Toyota Team. Will Tony stay with JGR, "no matter what"?...Only his lawyers know for sure, but don't count on it,..like everything else, $$ talks, and TS stands to lose a LOT of his fan base if he switches...and FANS = $$.

"Isn't Toyota the only vehicle right now being built in the United States"?!....Please Uncle Billy,......put the crack pipe away...:wacko:

Never have been a TS fan.......and he's kinda chunky to try squeezing into an Indy car isn't he? :wacko: :)

Please Uncle Billy,......put the crack pipe away...

I wish everyone would stop telling me that:wacko:

All kidding aside Mac, I really had someone tell me that and swear to it. He said that while some parts were made in Nippon, most were made and all were assembled here. Heck Mac, I don't know. I'm not even sure of my name any more.:huh:

Aunt Plaidskirt

LOL.....Well your friend has his facts just a tad wrong. GM still has the highest percentage of "American Made" parts in their cars and trucks that are "assembled here" and that's @ 80%. Ford & Chrysler are right there too, but Chrysler may be a little less because of their recent German ties. The "imports" Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. have the LOWEST percentage of American Made parts and that's less than 30%. Just because they're "assembled here" doesn't mean they're also designed, engineered and parts sourced from US suppliers. The vast majority of their parts are shipped over from Japan and assembled here. Toyota also sends 100% of their profits back to Japan and comparitively speaking,...re-invests the smallest percentage back into the US economy as far as plant updates, exploring new technologies and investing HERE for long term growth. In a nutshell....Japan does all of that at home....they just assemble and sell here, and they will NOT allow us to sell our products over there!! I wish our Gov't would get off their butts and do something about that.......we need to either tax the hell out of their "parts" coming in here,....or get them to open their doors to our products. The playing field is far from level in that regard, and it needs to be addressed!!

Okay,...carry-on.......and you should talk to Tox about plaid skirts...he's been known to sport one or two!! ;):rolleyes:

SUPPORT THE USA!!;)

<GULP> I really had no idea and it's a little late for me to heed your advice. I must admit I didn't research as I should have and just took someones word for it all. I never in my life thought I'd be buying a vehicle who's name ends in a vowel.:angry: I never said he was my friend and now I don't like him at all!:p

I had no idea our auto's were frozen out over there but did know quite a few of our other products are, including some vegetables that even though are not on the outright ban list, have to sit on Japanese docks until their inspectors get around to approving them. As I understand it the wait is so long the produce is rotten by then. And we don't do a damn thing about it!

Geeeezz, now I'm sorry for my truck.:( BTW, I was thinking of Scott when I mentioned Plaid Skirt. I can't even think of plaid without seeing that picture in my head. ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!1

Uncle Billy

No sweat Billy,....enjoy your truck....Yota builds good stuff....no doubt about it. But, we've caught up to them in the "quality" dept. and in some category's we've passed them. It's the "perceptive quality" issue we're still struggling with. Oh and you can rest assured, that if you're ever driving down the road and TWO giant steel beams on a pendulum come out of no where,.:eek:..you've got the power to get out of the way!!:rolleyes:

Geez those commercials are hokey!!

Have a good weekend!!

Mac

I remember when we tried to build right-hand drive 'Vettes to sell in Japan-Due to the multiple tariffs to get them to dealers in the country, the price had basically tripled. No way to sell anything like that. In the '90s at Saturn, the company decided we were going to make Saturns to sell in Japan. Everybody pretty much knew the project would fail, but Saturn was trying to prove they could sell cars there. My supervisor had a stack of books in his office over a foot thick of additional requirements we had to meet on the cars to make them acceptable for sale in Japan.

I retired from GM 15 months ago. Got tired of piddling around the house, so I got a part time job at The Home Depot. I worked in hardware and sold power tools, among other things. One day, I went through everything we sold to see if I could find anything made in the USA. Nope, closest was a Milwaukee drill made in Mexico. Even the Makita stuff is made in China nowadays. One of the main reasons I quit was that I just couldn't stand telling a customer that a tool was good when I knew it was built as cheaply as possible in China and would only stand up to occasional use. Mao Tse Tung made a statement in the '60s that they would conquer the United States without ever firing a shot. They're doing it.

To bring this back to the topic. I think Tony is a spoiled punk, but he'd sure take a huge leap in my opinion if he'd make a stand and refuse to drive a Toyota. Didn't he state a couple years ago that never drive anything but a Chevy? I figure he'll do like everyone else though, and follow the money. Hutch

I can't believe the crap coming outa China now......man alive......is there ANYTHING with paint on it over there that isn't fulla lead?? GEEEZ.....that issue is going to bankrupt Mattel!! :blink::wacko:

It should bankrupt Mattel.

Bring the work to Detroit. There are plenty of skilled workers here to build toys.

Mini

I sure can't seem to find ANYTHING that doesn't say CHINA on it. Give it a try, it's hard to do.

I do agree that the Toyota commercials are pretty hokie!. BTW Mac, thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

Uncle Billy

I can't speak to Japan, but from China at least in 3 months let me tell you Mac GM has a LOCK on vehicles over here!! 90+ % of minivans in Shanghai are GMs, until recently most passenger cars were GM (Below is from the GM website - http://www.gmchina.com/english/operations/shgm.htm)

In 2005, Shanghai GM sold 325,429 vehicles, ranking it first in sales among domestic passenger car producers. It is the first domestic automaker to sell 1 million vehicles within its first eight years of operation and is the only automaker named one of China's Most Admired Companies for five consecutive years.

Can't comment on the quality or chinese products vs. mexico vs. india... sold in the US right now :)

But, I was totaly surprised about GM here in Shanghai. I fully expected to see 90%+ chinese auto makers like Cherry, but nope, GM has a huge market and I assume profit here in Shanghai.

Just a little different perspective, and yes I rent a GM Minivan!

Trep

But you've never had beer till you have one with a good quantity of formaldehyde!! :wacko:

!!

But you've never had beer till you have one with a good quantity of formaldehyde!!

That's for sure! Had my fair share of them years ago when visiting Guantanamo Naval Base, Cuba. :wacko:

Latest posts

Back