Leaking fuel tank

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy Reeves

Reaction score
I have a '96 model Nitro 160 TF with a fuel tank that is apparently leaking if I fill it all the way. A replacement tank is no longer available from Tracker Marine & available aftermarket tanks do not have the proper inlet/outlet configurations. Can someone suggest an epoxy patching glue that will remain semi-flexible for use in repairing my fuel tank? I will have to remove the tank to find & repair the leak but it will only require a little trimming away about 1" of fiberglass to be able to remove it. It is mounted crosswise under the seat.

Typically, fiberglass tanks are repaired with epoxy/resin/cloth kits.
First check the hoses, hose connections (vents and fill) and fuel gauge sending unit area for leakage.
Vic

Typically, fiberglass tanks are repaired with epoxy/resin/cloth kits.
First check the hoses, hose connections (vents and fill) and fuel gauge sending unit area for leakage.
Vic
The tank is plastic, not fiberglass. That's why I asked about an epoxy that stays somewhat flexible.

Kerz is right on about the sending unit. If you fill the tank all the way that is the place where it would leak. The rubber gasket shrinks over time and your boat being almost 25 years old maybe.

Kerz is right on about the sending unit. If you fill the tank all the way that is the place where it would leak. The rubber gasket shrinks over time and your boat being almost 25 years old maybe.
The gasket does seep a bit but that's not where the wetness is under the tank. The sending unit is in the center of the tank but the apparent leak is under the starboard end under the vent fitting. I've checked the vent hose where it connects to the tank & it is dry. The sending unit gasket seeping would not leak enough to leak out 1.5 gallons overnight. That's about how much was in the bilge the next morning. I have to use a little more gas out of it before I can pull the sending unit to replace the gasket.

If you have a air compressor I would block off the vent and get a rag with the air hose at the fill and push some air into the tank and look for the leak it will come out pretty fast.

the tank in my 95 looks like the same material as the water tank in my RV. if it is it can be heat welded with a piece of the same material. sound risky with gas. id be really cautious.

the tank in my 95 looks like the same material as the water tank in my RV. if it is it can be heat welded with a piece of the same material. sound risky with gas. id be really cautious.
Reading your solution I just thought about hot glue. That stuff sticks to anything & remains somewhat flexible when cooled. I'll just have to make sure I get it cleaned good. Acetone would probably be good for cleaning if it doesn't melt the tank. I've just got to go fishing till I get the tank empty & run out of gas near the launching site.

What about that black tape that the guy on TV sells, seals all kinds of leaks with it. Sorry can't remember the name. Just remembered, called Flex-Seal products.

Don't use that stuff. It melts when contacted by gas. I used some spray to seal a rear compartment on a jon boat and the moment I had some drops of gas hit it from the gas line it melted off and make a sticky goo mess.

Problem solved. Took the tank out, set it on sawhorses & filled it with water. Good flow of water, not just a seep, from the sending unit gasket once the tank got full. I should have checked that before I pulled the tank. The gasket had shrunk enough that the screws were only finger tight. The tank & its space needed cleaning anyway. Replaced the gasket, also used Permatex to help seal, re-installed but have not refilled with gas but I feel that the problem is solved. Thanks for the solution.

Bad mistake about the Permatex those rubber gaskets are designed to be used with out any sealer. The sealer repels with the plastic and rubber with gas it will leak eventually if not right away.

Latest posts

Back