Launching/retrieving problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave wastasi

Reaction score
Hi all, my dad and I just picked up a used 1995 160tf and it has been running great for us however we are both new to boating and have a couple issues we need help with. We have gone out several times now and today i noticed a quarter-sized chunk taken out of the boat on both sides in the exact spot-when boat is loaded on the trailer they are directly in the middle of the wheelwell. we have to be doing something wrong when launching and retrieving but for the life of me i cant figure it out. ANY ideas what we are doing wrong or what it is rubbing/hitting??? Also how do we fix the fiberglass in the least expensive way? thanks everyone for their help

Check the bunks see if anything is sticking out that can scratch the boat. The next thing I would look at is how you are loading it. If nothing is on the bunks you may be trying to put it on the trailer when the trailer is too deep causing it to scrape on something further back on the trailer maybe the top to a guide on or a side bunk

Pictures of the boat and trailer would help immensely. It's hard to say without them. My first thought is to agree though, that the trailer is too deep and it's hitting guide on or side bunks.

Hmmmmmm....Those trailers are made not to gouge if you get off center. A little more info is needed. Pics would be great. Where exactly are the chips and how do they match up to the trailer? What shape is the bunk carpet in? Are the chips on the side of the boat or on the hull where the bunks are? Explain what you think you are hitting on the trailer because there's no way for it to chip unless you hit it. Are they on both sides?

TOXIC

Had the same problem with my 160 when I had it. There are screws or rivets holding the side panels on your fenders. I took them off, and replaced them with nylon screws and nuts purchased at Lowes. Never had another issue.

Bubby:)

boat1.JPG

boat2.JPG
boat3.JPG

boat4.JPG

boat5.JPG
boat6.JPG
boat7.JPG

thanks for the help and advice everyone. The general opinion to fix the gouges is marine tex......but my question is which one as i noticed several types, and how much (oz) should i buy? Thanks in advance

Am I missing something or does that not have side bunks?

And is that fender bent up? Pics are not clear.....

Dave, can you scale the images when you upload them to 50% or less? Might help see them more clearly.

Thanks!

Could it be that we are not backing in deep enough and it slams into the back of trailer before it levels out on bottom bunks when loading??

Recommended fixes for the gouges?

boat1.JPG

boat2.JPG

boat3.JPG

boat4.JPG

boat5.JPG

boat6.JPG

boat7.JPG

Normally there are roller guides just forward of the tail lights that stick up about a foot or so...??? At least there were on the trailers that I have had......nothing there to keep the rear from going side to side.....

Latest posts

Back