Last tourney of the year this past weekend.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, our club fished our last tourney of the year this past weekend, on Lake Murray (near Columbia, SC). Lake continues to be down about 14-15' (due to dam construction/repair), however it you pay attention, it's not too dangerous out there. Just need to be careful.

Fished with one of the two anglers in our club vying for Angler of the Year honors (most overall weight). The guy I fished with has been fishing with us since April, so he missed the first two tourneys, and also missed Lake Norman in September - but still leads the effort by a pound or two. Good fisherman.

However, lady luck was not smiling on our boat on Saturday. He pre-fished on Friday, and found a number of good spots, not far from the ramp (5-10 minute ride at most). He's smart enough not to attempt to really 'catch' them the day before, but they just weren't there or biting on Saturday. He got one keeper (about a pound and a half), mid-afternoon.

I managed two in the boat (both short), and hooked several other small fish that I just shook off where possible.

Good news for me is that even with a zero on Saturday, I should still finish in the top 10 for our club, which puts me in next years 'Classic', that we fish. One of my goals.

I didn't meet many of my goals this year, but still had a good year on the water. I'm catching and weighing in fish quite a bit more regularlly, and have committed to fishing more next year. One of my problems is, that I just don't get on the water and fish - enough. From April on this year, I only really fished once a month. Not enough.

I'm now doing some analyzing, and some review of my performances. I'm going to be doing some wintertime bassin', just to keep working on my presentations, improving my techniques.

And no, my boat is not going to be 'wintered'. We get cold in Jan/Feb, but Feb. is when our fishing starts really picking up again.

Tex

TT,

Don't over "anal"ize your performance. Fishing is just as much an art as it is a science. That is why the "gut" is just as good as the "brain" in our sport. The two have to work together. More time on the water in all kinds of conditions will help. Now turn off the computer and go fish!!

TOXIC

Tox,

Couldn't agree more. However, my analysis will revolve around what I learned, and what I need to do next. One of the items that I discussed with my wife last night, was just what you mentioned. More time on the water, fishing. I just need to take more late afternoon's/evenings next year, along with more 3-4 hour early day trips to the lake.

Tex

Tex:

Murray's my home lake...it's been a great year. And with apologies to the homeowners association, I don't care if they ever raise the level back. The fishing's been the best in years. Everything's marked real well now. Our club fished two night tourneys on it this summer, and as long as you were careful and watched your graph, there were no problems.

Murray is a great fishery. It took 100 lbs. over four days to win the FLW in March!

Jim

Latest posts

Back