knot tying

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward Lea.

Reaction score
I joined north american fisherman as a lifetime member a long time ago. I am here to blow thier whistle or suggest anyone subscribe to them they are the same as anyone of 50 other fishing mags. I did receive this in the e-mail today and thought it was interestinig enough to pass on.

February 4, 2009

Knot Wars: NAF Editor's Sweaty Palms Ruin Knots

NAFC Executive Director Steve Pennaz and the North American Fisherman-TV crew unearthed a discovery that will leave you scratching your head (with your sweaty hands) in disbelief.

While testing various knots for NAF-TV's popular Knot Wars segment, Pennaz noticed that "Fish N' Fool" knots tied by NAF Managing Editor Ryan Gilligan bombed when tested with FireLine. Gilligan's knots kept slipping and came undone at 9 pounds of pressure - not even close to the line's break strength.

When Pennaz tied and tested the knot himself, however, it performed extremely well, with the knot holding steadfast until the line itself broke at 22 pounds. Pennaz watched Gilligan tie the knot perfectly, exactly as Pennaz had, yet the knot failed again.

The explanation?

At times, Gilligan's palms sweat profusely. It seems the natural oils in his skin, carried by the sweat, caused the FireLine to slip and the knot to fail.

"We had him tie the knot again - the exact same way - wearing a pair of latex gloves, and it held and performed well," Pennaz explains. "The lesson here is to be extremely careful with oils and suntan lotions while you're fishing. Thoroughly rinse your hands and keep them dry when you're tying knots, especially with superline."

Thanks. I had in the past assumed the fishing gods did not like some guys. Also, as many here have heard me say many times in the past, GLUE YOUR KNOTS!!!

I always carry a six pack of Mircle glue. Put on knots, helps keep plastics in place. Glues your flip flops to the carpet. Great stuff.

fatrap

Latest posts

Back