Knives Of All Kinds!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dougiemac

Anyone into knives on here? I'm just starting to get into knives and wanted to get some ideas and opinions on what other members have, like, prefer, hate, etc.

So far I have a Benchmade Nimravus 140 and a Benchmade Mini Reflex (which is my EDC knife). I love Benchmades, but I'm really starting to like ESEE knives too.

Nimravus 140
bm-minvarus-wsheath.jpg

Mini Reflex
BM2550anw.jpg

What do you all like?

Also anyone keep a particular knife on your boat for fishing, filleting, etc.?

It's a hobby unto itself. There are thousands of makers out there, and the "this steel is better than that steel" forum wars are epic.

I tend to go for value knives, and I like to modify cheap knives or rebuild them into something a bit more useful. I'm a big fan of the older, US made Colonial brand pocket knives. Have always owned a few, and still have my first one after nearly forty years. The plain steel doesn't stand up to corrosion very well, but it makes up for that with ease of sharpening and scary sharpness. I also like Buck's USA-made price/quality balance. They make very good knives out of their non-exotic metallurgy.

What I carry every day: Leatherman Sidekick or Wingman. Excellents tool for the money, and no crying if I lose it, 'cause $25 bucks gets another one. Very good for days in the woods. The onboard saw cuts branches really well. The Sidekick isn't very tacticool, but it does what I need.

Last edited:
One that I am really proud of is a Buck, The Tiny Titanium MDL 565, with original box and papers.

My grandfather is a huge Case and Buck knife fan. He has quite the collection of those little pocket knives, that I refer to as "Gentleman's Pocket Knife".

I have a home made fillet knife that is from an old sawmill saw blade, a number of Case knifes that my father used, a number of file knives that are not pretty but work well and one twisted railroad spike. My wife should be back from HN this weekend so I will get pictures.

I have a few "old" Gerbers and use a 475 and ilet knife from the 1970s Guide series... M3 tool steel that gets very, very sharp on diamond paddles. I carry a CRKT or a Gerber EZ Out every day....

My pictures are not professional, so bear with me. The filet knife with the greenish handle is homemade.

Attachments

• IMGP0152.JPG
    IMGP0152.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 206
  • IMGP0155.JPG
    IMGP0155.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMGP0156.JPG
    IMGP0156.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMGP0161.JPG
    IMGP0161.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 187
  • IMGP0162.JPG
    IMGP0162.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMGP0171.JPG
    IMGP0171.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 188
I have a Kershaw Leek. It is US made and keeps a pretty good edge. The speed safe option is pretty nice

The wood handle is the only one home made. I have finally taught my wife if she wants to sharpen a knife, use the Arkansas Stone and remember go in the same direction always. So now she is a dragger, feels that it works better than pushing the edge and easier to keep the angle.

I've always wanted to make a knife or at least handles. Something very "manly" about working with sharp steel and carving wood and bone.

These are not pretty, but they are durable, strong and hold an edge for a long time. Plus I do not think the critters in the woods care if they are not pretty. All were made from a saw mill saw blade, the saw mill was shut down in 1958. I have oil stones and Arkansas stones, prefer the Arkansas stones. The wife keeps an Arkansas stone in the kitchen for her knifes. It did not take long to teach her the paper match book angle.

Attachments

• DSCI0588.JPG
    DSCI0588.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCI0589.JPG
    DSCI0589.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 166

Latest posts

Back