kill switch?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg McNeely

Reaction score
Nitro 180FS with a Tracker (Merc) 115. I'm re-habbing this boat for my step son. I noticed no "safety" type kill switch or a place to clip one. Only a "run" and "off" toggle under the shift/throttle. Last three boats I've owned had a "if you fall out of the boat" clip on kill switch. Am I looking for something that doesn't exsist?

That is the kill switch. You need one of these to go along with that toggle switch:

merclanyard.jpg

The black plastic end slips over the toggle switch and when it's in the run position, the toggle switch has it captured. The other end, of course, clips to your life vest. In the event the driver leaves that location, it pulls the black plastic part out of the capture of the toggle switch, killing the engine.

All the best,

Glenn

It also allows you to inadvertently bump the switch with your knee killing the engine while still looking like it is in place. This of course only happens when you are in strong current and desperately need your motor to start! :lol:

Yep, that's similar to every one I've owned. I spoke with him on the phone and he had no idea what I was talking about. He has run it without the clip since he's owned the boat.

How difficult would it be to by-pass this thing?

I'll have to take a close look in daylight, but I think maybe someone put a plastic shim

in there somehow.

Not difficult to bypass. Just remove the lanyard and flip the switch to run. Thats all the kill switch is,just a toggle with lanyard attached.

Has anyone sat and cursed because you cant figure out why your motor wont start after it had just run? Lol! I done that once and thought I was goin to spend the night on the water before I noticed the toggle was slightly pulled down :-( Whew what a relief and glad noone was with me to witness my humiliation lol. My dad has also done this,called a buddy to come tow him in then figured it out shortly after his buddy let him know he was on the water and would be there shortly. He didnt have the guts to reveal his fauxpaux to his buddy lol.

But if you fish a lot in rough water you really need the kill switch.

I read about a guy that was idling in gear by the ramp - no life jacket, no kill switch. He fell out and was killed by his own boat. It doesn't have to only be rough water to recognize the need for a kill switch. You can die just as easily at idle speed in glass smooth water as you can at speed in rough water if you aren't paying attention and aren't heeding proper safety. Food for thought.

All the best,

Glenn

Yeah, this "project" boat has become quite a project. Daylight now, so I'll get a better look at it. Yep, I've had the kill switch mystery disconnect. In my past and current boats, if the clip isn't on, no start. It appears to be pretty "optional" on this one.

Just my observations: I have a heck of time putting the black clip on the kill switch and then trying to flip the switch back up to "RUN". Switch refuses to engage. It's like the black clip is too fat or something. Minor thing but annoying as hell. I'm going to replace the black clip with a thinner clip. (2011 Z6)

Gary, Just remember and be aware that the clip has to be large enough to "trip" the toggle when it is pulled out. I've McGuivered a few in a pinch. You might be able to "shave" a little off the one you have.

Hi. I am late here but I have the same question and the picture TritonGlenn posted is unavailable. I just bought a 2008 Nitro 288 Sport. It has the Run-OFF toggle switch below the throttle lever but no killswitch lanyard or anything else. What do i need to purchase to have a lanyard that will kill the motor in the event I become ejected from the boat? Thank you.

I made me a cord from an old long telephone cord coil. Much more durable than the strings you buy and enough weight to keep it form blowing around in the wind.

You can get this cord clip sets of various types at Wal Mart Sporting goods and build your own cords if you prefer.

Latest posts

Back