kids rod and reel

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
I took my 4 year old son fishing for the first time. He was using one of the Shakespeare character combos. We caught plenty of bluegill, but managed to hook about an 8lb. catfish. The result of this is a reel that now sounds like a coffee grinder. What would be a good rod/reel combo for his age group to use for multiple species? Thanks for the advise.

Eric

My son has a zebco 33. It was also my first reel. That said, an 8lb fish is probably top end for that as well.

Find a Daiwa Silvercast spincast reel and set up with a rod for him. I got a Silvercast when I was probably 12 years old (I'm 37 now) and used it for years, until I got into baitcasters. I recently got it from my mom and dad's house, cleaned it up, changed the line, and put it on a rod for my oldest daughter and she is now using it. And it still operates like it did from the day I got it.
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0053614123050a.shtml

I'll second the Silvercast. My boy has fished with a couple for the last two years and I have yet to do anything to them but change line. Incredibly smooth and tough and without that daggum loud clicker on the Goldcast series retailed at twice the price! Best bang for the buck. IMHO

When it comes to choosing a fishing rod for a kid make sure it is something you would not be afraid to use yourself. If you go cheap and it breaks you will have to deal with the tears that will surely follow

Just about anywhere you can find a $30 spincast combo that will work for years. Stay with any of the brand names. ZEBCO, Shakesphere, etc. My wife still uses a 20 year old Diawa combo.

fatrap

I agree with both reels mentioned above. Good quality and reliability (especially for the kids). If you want a slightly higher quality spincast Zebco for a youngster (or adult) that is equipped with gears that can handle a good size fish, go with the Zebco Omega.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_44496_100001003_100000000_100001000_100-1-3

I'm still waiting for my ScaleS and Tales combo!! I am a firm believer in getting kids into adult rods/reels asap. My choice is a Browning Midas spinning combo with a shorter rod. It allows them to throw a variety of lures and is a short learning curve to baitcasters. The push button type take longer to transition. I put the pushbutton away for my daughter at 4 yrs old. She has won mote tournaments than me right now!!

TOXIC

When my son was 4 he got a Wally Marshall spinning rod...after a day of practicing he got the hang of it pretty well. Now a year later he has it down. They sell them at BPS and I think it is intended to be a crappie rod; it is a perfect size for him. I think it is 5ft long at most and the spinning reel is solid enough with a good drag.

Latest posts

Back