Kerr /buggs island

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Macaluso

Reaction score
Havn't been on the board for sometime but thought I would ask for some information . I'm headed down to Kerr for the NJ federation team tournament this weekend . I havn't been down there in almost 9 years and was wondering if anytone had recent information on what baits and colors to use .

Not recent info, but when I've fished it this time of year the north facing cuts off of Little Island Creek (past the power lines) are great spawning coves. The points & pockets toward the main creek channel hold stagers with bedders in the shallower backs. My two favorites are side by side on the map. One turkey foots in the back, the other Y's. C-rig lizard the beds (probably stained good with the rains) and crank/jig/T-rig the stagers. The stagers can be pounded on with a South wind blowing and a white double willow (small blade #3&4) spinnerbait. The Hyco and most above the RR bridge will be blown out I'm guessing. Wish I could be more help. Good luck! ;)

Pkn Pepper green with a chart. stripe (sunny) and a Blk/blu mixed skirt with a little dark mylar on overcast days with a 1/4 -3/8 football head and a Zoom super chunk in lemon pepper green (sunny), electric blue super chunk (overcast) is my favorite there. Fat free shad in citrus (#5 and #6 sizes) on 10-12 flouro or mono has repeatatively worked for me there. (I took a couple nice BASS checks there doing the described.) Depending on the water level, you may or may not see the massive hardwood stumps in the back and trailing down the points. Keep a bright bream pattern popper tied on as well. You can lock an anchor fish early before the sun clears the trees on the popper. Good luck! ;)

P.S. Coming out of the creek and heading up towards the Hyco, the points with adjacent pockets on the main lake (West side) can pattern the same way. If the stumps are there similarly, the fish will be there too! These areas are great early with the bluegill Rico/Splash-it popper.

If the water is in the buck brush, I normally target the centers of that brush with heavy jigs (1/2 ounce or bigger - favorite being a home-made 5/8 ounce). Favorite color is Green Pumpkin with a Chartreuse Pumpkin Zoom Big Salty Chunk.

If the bass are not firmly in the middle of the bushes, but hanging alongside them, I've also done well this time of year on swimbaits. Wherever I was sure to hang up a spinnerbait, I threw the swimbait instead. They really mashed the Luck E Strike Bass Magic 4.5" version in Golden Shad color. I think it mimics the Blue-Back Herring very well, and the bass mashed it pretty good. I rig them with a Lake Fork Tackle Swim Bait hook (5/0, 1/8oz).

Favorite locations switched from trip to trip. I've never been able to go back to a specific area at a later date on Kerr and dupicate things exactly. Close... but not exact.

All the best,

Glenn

I was there this weekend. Water level is 301, little to no water in the bushes. Most guys had best results on points, but fishing was tough.

HP

Latest posts

Back