keeping garbage out of the livewell pumps - Ideas?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
I put the Mayfair livewell pumps in to replace my blown Rule ones 2 weeks ago, took her out last weekend and they run just fine.

Here is my question - The Rule (factory installed from Tracker) had little X shaped inserts where the pipe exited the boat on the bottom of the transom to keep large debri out, the Mayfair pumps did not come with anything like this and I don't have the old ones. What, if anything, do you guys use to keep stuff out of the pumps? I'm thinking of cutting a piece of window screen and using a stainless steel wire to tighten it/attach it around the pipe leaving the transon? Other ideas??

Trep,

When I had my livewell replaced under warranty I had my dealer install a livewell intake screen for $16. There are several styles commercially available in different price ranges. They should be easy to install. I had my dealer install it since the boat was already there anyway.

Marke

Ther is a large plastic nut that tightens down on the threads of the livewell pump. This large plastic nut has threads on the outside of it so the wire screen can be screwed on to it. I am also in the process of replacing my two Rule livewell pumps with Mayfair pumps.

Trep, I installed the one that Bass Pro Shops sells and I like it. I bought it over the winter at the Baltimore store, picked up a sch. 80 hex nipple at local plumbing supply, used some teflon tape incase I want to take it apart later. Weeds have not been a problem yet. Thought about adding some finer mesh also. Said no to myself for right now. Working too good like this. I'll purposly go up into the heavy stuff and wedge my boat on there to keep from drifting around and had my pump in the automatic mode without it clogging.

Mal - You probably won't have the same problem I had getting the pumps into the same space as the Rule's. The bildge in the 175 is not very big, and the drivers side one went in real easy, the passenger side was a pain, their was not a lot of room and I had to really work the pump in as the Mayfair is larger and has a slightly different angle to the hose exits from the pump.

Go slow, measure TWICE!!

I think the only problem I might have is I cut off the pipe leaving the boat realitively short so there is just a small extension past the nut. I'll see if I can pick up a few that attach like Dennis's link in BPS and see if they will fit.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Trep, I think you should have a flow-rite system in your boat. Check out the link below and get two of the screens, one for the intake on the transom and one for inside the livewell at the drain. That way your pump is protected from both directions.
http://www.flow-rite.com/marine/price3.htm
fittings.gif

Does anyone know if parts can be ordered direct from Flow-Rite, or do you have to get them though your dealer?

Sam - Do you know if those screen inserts for Flow-Rite systems will work with the Mayfair pumps I installed? They are the same sized pipe?

Latest posts

Back