Just my opinion

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Loos

Reaction score
I felt compelled to write to defend the people of this web site after reading the responses to the post below where John Triton asked about comparing the Nitro and Triton. (This by the way is a good question for our web site). We have such a great cross-section of people. Not every member works for BPS, Tracker, Mercury, etc. Most of the members of this page are just fisher - men and women and all-around outdoor folks using their own cash for their

Bear:

"Therefore, my reason for writing this is to ask the question, with this help offered to all, why do some people just refuse to use it."

The old adage that "you can please some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time" really rings true.

I think the problem lies with trying to reconcile the EXPECTED resolution with the POSSIBLE resolution. Sometimes a person's expectation isn't within the realm of reality. Warranties explicitly state what is covered and what will be done to correct the problem. When someone expects a covered problem to be resolved through a solution outside of those possible under the warranty arrangement, then people get mad.

For example, let's say that the transmission on my truck won't shift out of PARK. I take it to the dealer and say, "This truck is a piece of junk, I want a new one." My expectation for a resolution doesn't match up with the possible solution to my problem.

People don't accept the help that's offered here because it doesn't get them the resolution they WANT or EXPECT. You or I can't give someone a new boat every time there's a problem. (However, if you can, give me a call!)

Another twist to the situation here is that some people expect Tracker Marine products to be below par and to have all kinds of quality problems. They will look for the first sign that the boat is coming apart and say "See? I told you Tracker/Nitro boats are junk." Flip the issue and look at Ranger. From reading other boards, people expect Ranger to put out a quality product. They don't go looking for everything to come apart, but when something does happen they say, "Well, all boats have problems. Mine just has a few less than other brands."

You can be the nicest, most considerate customer service rep in the world (Ken and Craig are two great examples), but if they can provide the resolution someone wants or expects, on a product that some people are expecting to be sub-standard, then no amount of good-will will get them over their disappointment. In these situations, I've learned to say, "I'm very sorry you're upset and that I can't help you get what you want. I really hope you will be able to get over it." (The only time I DON'T use that one is with the missuz.)

The other day I cruised for a couple of hours through some of other boat-related boards. I haven't found one that is as much fun, or as helpful, for boat owners of all brands as this one is.

I'm going to stop now. My soap box is beginning to collapse from all the weight of my opinions. LOL.

Mark

"You can be the nicest, most considerate customer service rep in the world (Ken and Craig are two great examples), but if they can provide the resolution someone wants or expects, on a product that some people are expecting to be sub-standard, then no amount of good-will will get them over their disappointment."

I meant to type "but if they CAN'T provide . . . "

"OH, Woe is me, all these people calling and e-mailing me with their problems, don't they realize I have a life too and enough problems of my own? I have a G.E. toaster that's only 17 years old and the mickey-mouse thing went on the fritz the other day and now it only cooks one side of the bread. I've called the company hundreds of times and nobody calls back. I've e-mailed, I've written letters, I've called the BBB, now I'm ready to get an attorney and sue their pants off!!!"

Just kidding everyone....but seriously Bear, don't apologize for stating your opinion. I agree wholeheartedly and am proud to be a part of this great group of people. Unfortunately, sometimes that one bad apple leaves a bad taste in your mouth (how's that for a mixed metaphor?)

In answer to your question...I don't have one, but let me repeat what dear old mom always says..."God helps those who help themselves."

Mark,

You would not believe how many people EXPECT a loaner boat while theirs is in the shop...or they want reimbursement for the gas money they spent to bring it in.

I even had a guy one time that demanded I reimburse him 5 bux for minnows he bought and couldn't use because his boat broke down!!!

You're absolutely right Bear,...this site is awesome and so is virtually everyone that posts here. The wealth of knowledge, talent, informed "sources" and people to contact for help is 2nd to none on the internet! Unfortunatly, there are people from all walks of life who will resort to all sorts of tactics and deceipt to further enhance their perceived "position" or agenda, as long as they think they can get away with it. Sometimes it works,....MOST times it doesn't,...sooner or later they will get caught up in their "woe is me" saga's and the real truth always comes out. Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy, so when we have problems,....be as honest and truthful as you can be and you're virtually gauranteed to a successful solution to your problems every single time. Unfortunately there's enough morons on this planet that haven't figured that out, that we have to waste time "enlightening" them. Ohwell,...gives us something to do when the water's too hard to fish!..LOL

Ken,...slip the bread into your CD drive (uncooked side up) before you open the NTOWS 2moro,..the heat from all the hostile negative and whiney emails will cook it for you!!! LOL

A fitting conclusion to today's events I hope. I really have nothing further to add. I said my peace in earlier posts, and everyone above has pretty much nailed it. My only addition is that life is too short. I've learned that the hard way the past six months. I would rather have friends than enemies and good times rather than bad. It's all what you make of it. Wow that was deep! LOL

I'll share this one here because I know most of the members will understand.

My wife and I drove the 200 miles to Springfield to take delivery of our boat. Our salesman was out deer hunting, but he called in advance and told me who to ask for when we got to BPS, and prepared me for the delivery procedure. Everything went fine and we hooked up to head straight back home. We parked the boat under the lights in the garage so the rest of the family could come over and see it. That's when my wife noticed that the cover to the steering wheel had come off somewhere between Springfield and St. Louis. It wasn't anywhere in the boat, so we just prayed that it didn't hit someone when it blew off.

The next day, I called the BPS sales staff and told one of the salespeople what had happened. She said she'd take care of it. I didn't hear anything back, so I got the number of the Tracker service department and called. The woman who answered told me she had my name and address and that the part was on back order. No problem. I asked how long she thought it would take (i.e., what should I EXPECT). She said two to three weeks.

I waited a couple of weeks and called back. Spoke to a different person. They said the same thing: "It's been ordered." This time I asked, "How long should I wait before I should be concerned that something is goofed up." She said, give it another week to ten days before you call back.

It was a week later, and I still didn't have the cover. I said, "Here we go, I'm going to have the kind of problem everyone complains about." I went to my local Tracker dealer - where I should have bought from in the first place, just for this kind of a reason - and saw a complete steering wheel WITH A COVER on the parts shelf. I said to myself, "I'll call BPS in Springfield, and if they haven't sent the part I'll see if I can make an arrangement to switch wheels at the local Tracker dealer. (i.e. an un-realistic EXPECTATION).

It would be great to be able to train salespeople on how to explain repairs and warranty work to customers. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Mac - I thought that extension plate on my computer was a cupholder! It's a toaster, too?

Ken - and the loaner boat should ALWAYS be bigger and faster, too! Right? By the way, I was in your shop late on the evening of Decembern 1st. Just had to look around. Next time I'm up there, I'll have to shake your all hand proper like.

Mark

Oops, forgot to finish the story about the cover!!!!

I got home after work. Lo and behold, true to BPS's word, the box with the cover was on by front porch. Three weeks to the day, and their original estimate was two to three weeks.

(I'll preview my posts from now on before posting them.)

M.

Thanx for the advice Mac...only a butt-hole like you would come up with something like that....and I'm still not giving you your 5 bux back for the minnows. LOL

Hey, I just thought of a new one..ROTFLMBHO!!!!

Looks like you've been re-dubbed Mac. I'll have to look into getting you a special trophy for the rally. I guess when you stand head and shoulders above the crowd, you make for an easy target. Now for some of that don't know nuthin' expert advice I hear you give, exactly how do they get the creme in those little twinkie cakes? And how can I complain about my '89 TF and get a new boat? I better stop before this gets out of control.

As far as the 5bux,.....well,..remember that RANK smell in your office last summer,.....well,..now you know where I put those minnows!! LOLOL

Don't know if I'm going to be at the Rally, but it looks like I might be able to make it,...but I'm sure Neeley would be glad to standup and accept any kind of "B-H" award on my behalf. As far as the new nick-name,...well....i've been called worse, by MUCH better people...just don't EVER forget that I have the memory of an elephant!! (No comments about the physique NEELEY!!!) LOL

Rob,

What a coincidence....I just saw the secret of Twinkies on the Food Network....they cook them upside down and inject them from the bottom!!!

Also, the original filling was Banana flavored but they switched during WWII due to a banana shortage.

See there guys, I can help out with more than just boat problems.

...and the butt-hole of one too!!! You gotta see the bathroom pic of Mac at my vacation home up north this year!!!!!

Ok, we gotta stop, I'm busting a gut here.

Let me know if you can go Mac....we'll ride together.

Jeez Ken, you had some spare time since that op? The food network? Started scaring me there for a minute. You actually knew the answer to that.

Mac as the new president of the board of trustees of the butt hole committee, I think your first point of action should be to put together next year's annual meeting at a local Hooters. Neeley can be the grand marshal.

Brought to you by Corona...the official beer of butt-holes everywhere!

Meahwhile, in a galaxy far far away, poor Rich must be watching and just shaking his head.

Yeah,...Like I have time for that,.....I'll resign my chairmanship,...hopefully SOMEONE here can pick up the slack!!,.......any Slackers out there that can help Rob out?!..LOL.....seeya,...i need to go to the Procto's office,......time for a family picture!! ahaahahahaaaa...seeya!!

Speaking of butt-holes, where is Trep thru all of this? LOL If WE fit the role, then hey, need I say more? He is probably being smart FOR ONCE, and strategically distancing himself from all of this. Sorry Trep, you didn't think I was going to let sleeping dogs lie did you. Hey how's the shoveling going?

Trep, don't hurt your casting arm moving all that snow hahahahaha

Rob,

Food network is one of my favorite channels...I'm somewhat of an amateur chef, although it's kinda hard to cook right now with only one arm.

I feel it safe to say that this past week is proof positive that many of the already fragile states of sanity on this board have fallen prey to cabin fever early on in winter. Exactly where we will end up by March remains a mystery! You guys are just too much!

All right Rob, SOME of us have to WORK For a living you know! We just got reorg'd at noon, and i've had to tell my employee's what there new jobs are (luckily no one got layed off), and answer questions. I got a new job too (still with IBM), but it looks like I still get to work from home, so i'm not running away! Just may have to post less often as I get up to speed on my new job and team.

THis has to be a record, 23 reply in under 4 hours.

Ken - What is shoveling? doesn't everyone's snow melt the next morning LOL

TrepMan

Feel your pain Trep, we are doing the same. New corporate philosophy is "lean" thinking. So I'm going lean on the work too. LOL Unfortunately, we are facing a lay off. I tried to generate enough to keep everyone, but the total was still not enough. Can't save the world I guess.

Rob,

I think ewe oughta store some snowballs in the freezer and bombard Trep at the Rally!!!!

Now look what you've done Ken, you've brought the SHEEP into this one! I thought I left those behind at Purdue, where Men are Men and Sheep are Nervous!

Well...Better Purdue than Iowa...Iowa...where the men may be men and the sheep are cheerleaders...

Only kidding...some of my best pets (and foods) have come from Iowa...

Anonymous (in case any of the really big mean people who post here are Iowa alums...but then they couldn't read...so what the hell...

Latest posts

Back