Just got my Nitro 700 LX (1998). It leans HARD when under power.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hdirks562

Reaction score
Hey everyone! After 5 years of driving my 50 year old fixer-upper tri-hull glastron, I finally bought a bass boat. I noticed a few issues when I took it out the first time, and I’m wondering if I could get any advise. For reference, I have a 120 Force Mercury on the back, and I have only driven this boat with me in it, no passengers.

1.When I come out of hull shot and the bow starts to come down (15-20 mph) the boat leans HARD to the right. It doesn’t turn right, it leans right. Ive read this can be fixed by trimming up and speeding up, I just have no idea how to judge when to start trimming up. I slow down right when this happens, because it goes against every common sense bone in my body to speed up if my boat is leaning.

2. It feels like the motor is too low in the water. When I am cruising slowly but not on plane (10 mph), water is splashing up between the motor and the transom. I’ve read that this can happen if the motor is too low, and that a low-mounted motor can cause some leaning. I also understand I’m trying to diagnose a bit that I clearly don’t know how to handle yet, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the motor is fine.

Thanks!

It's in the shop right now, for other issues. No updates on the leaning issue, but I have a feeling it's mostly user error.

I remember riding with an old buddy in his triton that had a weird lean only boat I was ever in that did that. I know once we got going fast it went away but cruising slow it had it. Never did ask though what the issue was.

I would be interested to know if/when you figure it out

I just recently purchased a 2004 nitro 640 lx with a 90 Evinrude, and the first time out and still a little leans some to the left. I ended up raising the the manual jack plate that was already installed on the boat to the highest position and also installed a hydrofoil on it as well. Gets up on plane much faster and doesn’t lean as much. Hope you like boat.

It's in the shop right now, for other issues. No updates on the leaning issue, but I have a feeling it's mostly user error.
Could the leaning be from a weight balance issue? Do you have more weight in the storage compartments on the side its leaning to? Mine slightly leaned to the left because it had 2 big deep cycle batteries on the left side and only one on the right. I just replaced the two left batteries with lithiums and now it straightened out. It was never a drastic lean.

Mine leans to the left when not trimmed at high rpm. The guy that built my motor said high torque motors will do that. I start trimming immediately when the boat starts to level out. Problem fixed. Also having the motor a little higher on the transom may lessen the effect. Do you know if your motor can be set higher on the transom? Might be worth asking the mechanic to raise it a couple of bolt holes and see if it helps your performance.

Latest posts

Back