JMX 1000H reel take maintenance

• Thread starter Carlos Hathcock III
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Hathcock III

Reaction score
Have a question.

How in the heck do you take the reel apart for cleaning? I can not get the side of the reel off that has the handle on it. I can get the screws out of the covers and it is loose, but I can not get the handle side off...

Any ideas?

Carlos

I did that one time on an old Quantum....it never worked again.

So the question you should ask yourself is do you really want me to tell you how to do it??

;)Harpo

I may be wrong (Won't be the first time) You should be able to do all the lubrication through the removable side.. the spool should pull out exposing the other side of the reel!!!

Thats how the Shimanos do it!!! Not much help!!!

Thanks guys,

I can see inside the crack and maybe able to get in there, but looks leek there is old grease that I would like to get out.....it took a BIGTIME saltwater bath last fall..... Will try that as a last ditch effort KB, but thanks man!!

harpo, ummm thanks man, but maybe no thanks HAHAHAHAHAHA:cool:

If this is like the Shimanos I have 'worked' on, look for a littlle screw near the main gear... this holds the main shaft in place... take out the screw, remove the shaft, the rest will probably fall apart in your hands.

What can't you get off? The handle? Or the handle side plate? To get the handle off of the ones with the solid handle, you pull the star drag back towards the cover, and then the handle rotates backwards to screw it off - don't force it, it should unscrew fairly easily. To get the side plate off, if you have all the screws off on the handle side - look on the other side with the cover off. There should be a small screw head right by the worm gear. Unscrew that screw, as it is also the top part of the level wind guide. It screws in to the opposite cover.

All the best,

Glenn

Tony,

Is that screw inside of the handle area?

Glenn, I am unable to get the handle side of the reel off for maintenance. As a side note, the handle is also not coming off and I was figuring that was what was needed for the side plate to come loose. I tried to rotate it backwards, but it did not budge.

Small set screw is out, but still will not come al the way off. only screw that is left is the one in the thumbar..

Any other ideas guys???

Thanks ya'all

Carlos

Carlos, as a last resort, you can try the old shipfitter method....a BIG hammer, j/k. Hope you get that thing off of there .

WW HAHAH Dude, it is a GOOD reel, I do want to reuse it after I take it apart HAHAHAHA

thanks though

Carlos,

You have to pull the star drag in towards the reel cover, away from the handle. Then the handle will rotate backwards. It's the same way on my Pfluegers.

All the best,

Glenn

C - Get hold of BPS and ask for a copy of the schematics for the reel. I keep all the schematics of my reels so I can tell how things come apart and hopefully back together. Sometimes you can find them on-line.

Bill,

Good idea. I wil see what I can find. I was given the reel as a gift and then last fall dunked it BAD in saltwater when I was striper fishing...

All cleaned up now and works as good as new!!! Rocket fuel is some good stuff!

Carlos

If it is, it is a diffrent color then the regular XMsn fluid. but, hey, it works!!!!

carlos - Glad you got it fixed! Just now had the chance to see this thread. Sorry I couldn't respond or send a schematic when you needed it. I've been busier than a three legged cat in a litter box lately! (LOL!) I liked the Rocket Fuel as well, but found re-application often a necessary requirement to keep the RPM's up. The Quantum Hot Sauce has been my primary lube for a couple years now, mostly because it seems to hang in there longer. Good luck!

Dan,

May have to keep that in mind! Will keep an eye out for it to slow down on me, but now that I know how to take it apart, it will be a piece of cake!!!! Sue was lookign at me like I had an extra horn growing out of my head when I was flipping it in the living room though!!!

Ken, no way man! That sucker is tooo nice!!!!!!!! But it did take a severe dunking!!!!

:D:D:D:D Marines ???????..Should of joined the army..

Latest posts

Back