jackplate question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zack Wilson

Reaction score
I am thinking of putting a jackplate on my 01 pro team 175 with a 75 hp merc. Do you guys think this will help improve speed or ride at all? Right now I am spinning a 13 1/4 X 21p stilleto at 5100prm if I could raise the motor up a little I am hoping I could spin it 5250. I suppose I should get a water pressure gauge also. Where does that hook to my moter? and also what kind of water pressure should I have a wot. Thanks

Zack -

The amount of improvement that can be seen from the installation of a jackplate is highly dependent on the hp of the motor and the hull design of the boat. Results are most noticable on fiberglass bass boats designed to ride on a "pad" in the back of their hulls and with motors of 150 hp or better.

In the case of a Pro Team 175 pushed by 75 horses....... About the only improvement seen would be in the cash flow of the person you bought it from!

Save your bux for jerk baits and gas at the Nitro Streakers Rally!

Water pressure should be about 10 to 15 pounds while running.

me!

P.S.

It sounds to me like your boat is set up just about perfectly! Even as concerns the maximum rpm's you're turning...... Running constantly at the 5250 red line would be asking for disaster.....

High rpm's wouldn't hurt a motor - but excessive rpm's will destroy it.

As long as your prop were constantly in the water - you would probably be fine........ But just go over one wake or wave and let the prop come out of the water....... Bingo! You've over-reved and you're spending thousands for an overhaul or a new power plant.

Enjoy your boat as she is! You've got an exceptional fishing platform there! Properly cared for, she'll give you many, many years of enjoyment!

me!

Scott's right Zack,...Don't waste your time and money on a jack plate for that boat,...it isn't going to improve anything performance wise,.......if you want more performance,...trade up for a glass boat in the future or a tv-18 with a 135 opti,......now THAT would be a fishing machine!! Just my opinion,.....good luck this season!!
Mac

Rick -

The "cavitation plate wings" (a.k.a. hydofoil) would be a worthwhile investment. They are especially helpful on boats with smaller motors to get them out of the hole and on any boat that you want to keep on plane at lower speeds.

Spend the rest of your bux on those lures and, while on the water, Diet Dr. Pepper!

me!

Rick,..I doubt you'll lose any top end,.....and the gain in holeshot will make it worth it,..especially when you have a full load. That'd be the way I'd go if I were you.......good luck.
Mac

Zack
I put a Hydrofoil on my 912 with a 225 hp & the difference was great. I lost no top end and it really helped on the hole shot. It was the best $40 I've spent in a while. I thought about a jackplate but I got everything I wanted from the Hydrofoil.

Latest posts

Back