Jack Plate Size

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinpalms

Reaction score
Hello all, glad there is a Nitro site to ask questions. Here’s mine.
What Jack Plate size do you recommended for a 2018 Z18, 175 Optimax, 25 prop?

Hello all, glad there is a Nitro site to ask questions. Here’s mine.
What Jack Plate size do you recommended for a 2018 Z18, 175 Optimax, 25 prop?
I did hours of research and made a ton of calls on this and could not get one straight answer ( calling Nitro is worthless). I just added an Atlas Hyradulic to my Z8 and I will never own another boat without one. The only way I could figure this out was when I called TH Marine. My boat came with a 10" and I was told if I installed the 12" I would have cleaner water etc. The performance is amazing! Whether that be handling, running, getting on plane or even raising it up to trailer. Hands down the best upgrade I have ever done to any of my boats.

I did hours of research and made a ton of calls on this and could not get one straight answer ( calling Nitro is worthless). I just added an Atlas Hyradulic to my Z8 and I will never own another boat without one. The only way I could figure this out was when I called TH Marine. My boat came with a 10" and I was told if I installed the 12" I would have cleaner water etc. The performance is amazing! Whether that be handling, running, getting on plane or even raising it up to trailer. Hands down the best upgrade I have ever done to any of my boats.
Thank you for your reply, I too have had no luck either with Nitro or Bass Pro. I’ve searched the internet but couldn’t find any reliable information on Nitro boats/jack plates. I was leaning towards something in 6-8” but now I am more confused. I don’t have any problems getting on plane or handling but run some shallow water sometimes, so a hydraulic lift is more feasible. Can I ask what length boat (I assume it’s a Z8) and engine size?

not sure that they deal with nitro's, but there is a company called Hydro-tec that builds jack plates and they may have more insight on proper fitment for the size boat you have. worth a try at least.

Thank you for your reply, I too have had no luck either with Nitro or Bass Pro. I’ve searched the internet but couldn’t find any reliable information on Nitro boats/jack plates. I was leaning towards something in 6-8” but now I am more confused. I don’t have any problems getting on plane or handling but run some shallow water sometimes, so a hydraulic lift is more feasible. Can I ask what length boat (I assume it’s a Z8) and engine size?
It's a Z8 (20ft 2") with a 250HP Merc. I would absolutely get the hydraulic jack plate. I never had issues either with getting on plane or handling. That has a lot to do with the way I store my tackle etc. Did you call TH Marine?

I would go with a min of a 10" hyd jack plate. My third Nitro, the first one had a 6" and I added a 4" extension big difference. I have added a 10" on the other 2 with the same results.

It's a Z8 (20ft 2") with a 250HP Merc. I would absolutely get the hydraulic jack plate. I never had issues either with getting on plane or handling. That has a lot to do with the way I store my tackle etc. Did you call TH Marine?
TH runs mostly Yamaha engines, while mine is a Mercury. Don’t know if that makes a big difference but sent them an inquiry through online help, waiting to here back. My 2018 Z18is 18’8” with 175 Mercury, wouldn’t put anything larger on it from dealer or it voided warranty. I think the Z9 is 19’4” and will allow a 225 hp.

Twin Palms, I run a Mercury Optimax 250HP which came stock with my Z8 and it didn't to make a difference with TH.

Blue Nitro, as Jerry posted above, going with a larger hydraulic jack plate is a good call. The further back the jack plate the cleaner water you have which will give your boat a little more speed/performance.

Latest posts

Back