Jack plate question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
Ive noticed a very small gap at the top of the jack plate where it bolts to transom. I'm not gettin any water in, but it doesn't look normal to me. I have a 2000 882, so I think over time they may have loosened a little. Is there a safe way to relieve pressure on the motor so I can get in and tighten the bolts up or should I take it to a professional? Thanks for any advice.

Eric

Every now and again I trim my motors down gently onto a block of wood to reduce the stress/shear load against them and tighten the transom and jackplate nuts. It is important to tighten only the nut sides without moving the bolts that are sealed through or you'll allow water intrusion into your transom. If the seal is (or gets) broken, make sure to completely reseal and allow curing before use. Good luck! ;)

Worked like a charm, thanks Dan. I would like to go ahead and re-seal them, 100% silicone or any other recommendation?

Thanks again,

Eric

A good non-permeable marine RTV sealant is what you want. 3M 4200 is most common, just make sure to apply liberally throughout the transom holes AND bolt shaft. Reassemble and look for excess to squeeze out while tightening. Remove excess with a wet paper towel for easy cleanup. I strongly suggest at least a 24hr. cure time before use. Good luck! ;)

Picked some sealant up and job is done. Thanks for the tips, Dan....they were greatly appreciated.

Eric

Latest posts

Back