Jack Plate Gonna Be Worth It?

• Thread starter George Arbuckle
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 4 inch jack plate for my 1994 160TF that has a 40 hp Mercury 4 cylinder. The reason that I'm even bothering with such a modification on this small motor is because it actually runs real well. Boat goes 30 mph on GPS at 5500 rpm with a 12p Stiletto stainless prop, two passengers, and gear.

After reading all the posts on here about jack plates and engine height, I measured mine and was surprised to find that I'm a full 7.5 inches below the pad. Despite this, the hole shot is real good which I attribute to the help of a Stingray Hydrofoil. Being someone who can't leave well enough alone, I know there are improvements that can be made here, but, the question is how much? In my opinion, this set up is already performing beyond what I think it should. Can setting the height closer to the standard 3.5 inch make a noticeable difference at these lower speeds?

I suppose ultimately, my goal would be to set a good height, loose the hydrofoil, maintain the good hole shot, and pick up a few mph. Do we think this is realistic?

Thanks for your input.

George.

With this size motor I would leave it alone (just my opinion) If it's preforming beyond what you think it should why fuss with it? :wacko:

Part of me agrees with you Greg, and you're probably right, but like most here, I gotta mess with this thing till I've got every last bit out of it.

My experience with that boat (r&d test boats) is you arent goin to achieve much if any gains at all. If anything there is a chance you lose some and possibly create a porposing issue. The 16ft boats were notorious and still are for that. I think the performance you're getting now is pretty good. Save your cash and drop a 60 on her back when you can and you should get into the low 40 range. The 160tf was always one of my favorite boats. Sure the bigger boats are nice but theres just something about a 16ft boat with just the essentials that the solo angler in me has always loved. Great on gas and great for bass!

Latest posts

Back