Is the "science" just not there??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward Lea.

Reaction score
Ok If I understand some of our northern members correctly thier states do not open the Bass(and other species) seasons until after the Bass and some other species spawn. While the other states don't have a issue with it.

B.A.S.S actually seems to promote fishing for Bedding bass.

Is the "science" just not there as to wheather or not this practice is good/bad or does the dollar over rule the "science". Do we have any fisheries experts on the board that could put a light on this?

not an expert, but here in pa, bass used to be closed until June. Now its kinda closed, but you can now fish for bass, just not keep any until June. I used to think it was funny cuz everyone still fished while bass was closed, cuz you could easily say I was fishin for pike, so they now let you fish for them, just not keep. I can tell you nothing has changed from then til now as far as effecting the actual fish

I think the science is there, but it is just not yet definitive ... or at least definitive or absolute enough that the folks in charge are forced into one belief over the other.

I think the prevailing wisdom is that fsihing the spawn is not harmful. I don't know if that is science talking or folks' "inalienable rights" to fish however they want.

Science or not...common sense teaches you it does have an effect.

Well now, if the science tells us that fishing the spawn has no effect, then how can common sense come up with a different answer?

I fish through the spawn, but I rationalize it by not sight fishing to surgically target beds.

There is no possible way to catch ALL the bass in a lake. It's a numbers game and we are a minority in it. It has no effect on most bodies of water.

I think we can safely say that bed fishing does not help the spawn!:unsure::unsure:

But, with catch and release as prevalent as it is now, does it help manage the population?

i am pretty sure that a caught and released spawner, will go right back to what

a fish does naturally, that is spawn. these fish have a brain about the size of

a pea, and they only know how to do a couple of things, eat, and spawn,

they swim off and go about their business...

Well, I know I'd have fewer children if someone had come along and jerked me out of my bed.

:lol::lol::lol:

I know I don't do it intentionally but, If I know I hooked one off the bed or suspect it...I make sure I release her ASAP in the same area. I think they do go back if not stressed too much.

My buddy works for skeeley loy out of Harrisburg pa, he is a wildlife biologist. he told me there are no facts as to that any kind of fishing hurts a fish or doesn't during the spawn. You can catch a fish normally not during the spawn and it "could" die, you won't know, so I fish, and sight fish, and enjoy both

I dunno...the resaerch they have done at the Great Lakes makes them believe in closed seasons for bass up north.

Same here Tee, i live here, they have a bass season but it means nothing, because you are able to fish for them even though they are out of season, the best part is, up North the spawn happens after the opening of bass, makes no sense, it used to be you couldn't even fish for them, now you can

In PA, it is catch and release only in spring, but it is also illegal to actively target fish on a bed.

Rich D

funny you mention that Rich, cuz I have talked to numberous people and they said that rule is so grey(illegal to target a fish on the bed), why? Cuz there is no definition for targeting a bedded bass( I was told this by the PAfish comm, at the sportsman show in harrisburg), this is why PA is one of the most screwed up states in the us, besides all the other things this crappy state does:unsure:

Seems there is no clear cut answer between the different states biologist either as the laws differ so much.

How does the Musky fisherman here feel about pulling them off the nest?

I really think the reason for the closed sesaon is the DNR doesn't want you to KEEP any...not necessarily fishing for them.

I don't like pulling them (bass, muskie don't make beds) off beds. I don't think it harms the fishery, I just think it isn't necessarily sportsman like. Kinda like hunting in the zoo... Just my personal opinion though.

Rich D

Marty - "Well, I know I'd have fewer children if someone had come along and jerked me out of my bed." :lol::lol::lol:

I like that, lets the Bush to add that to the different federaly funded birthcontrol methods (along with condoms, the pill, info about diseases, abstenance...) We get a bunch of Fathers to have GPS coordinates of all the kids in their area distinguished by male/female, they get police powers and when they see a boy and girl in the same place too long, they go over there, do the infered immaging and if they are "doing it" the quietly sneak in the house, sneak to the door of the room, crawl in and just as the boy is doing his thing he SPRINGS up and Grabs the kid by the butt, yanks him out of the bed and out the front door!!! LOL

Trep

Probly should clarify BED. For me site fishin is pre-spawn, when they are staged, and not yet laid the eggs. I don't keep any fish, so its not a problem for me. On Anna last year, you could spot one fish next to a stump in shallow water, throw a wacky rigged worm in there, and 3 more bass would rise up and take it, then I'd catch it and watch it swim back to the same location. What I don't agreee with, is watchin the pros sit on a fish that will not eat, layin on a bed, and entice the bass for 45 minutes until it finally reacts and takes the bait, that I won't do, but like the guide down there says, anyone who fishes during the spawn is fishin beds in shallow water;)

Simple....The rules are different on different bodies of water for a few reasons. #1. Local authorities control local water. If fishing is a huge revenue generator, there will be pressure for either catch and release or an open season. #2. Every body of water has different requirements for a succesfull spawn. For example as mini stated, there is no way you could damage the spawning population on a body of water as large as St. Clair, Erie, Champlain or any of the really big waters. For every bed you see there are hundreds or thousands that you don't. Smaller bodies of water with more concentrated populations, or recovering/new fisheries have to be managed more aggressively. This prohibits "sweeping" broad general federal regulations. There is also evidence that in the southern warmer climates bass may spawn more than once or have a greatly lengthened "spawn" that may stretch for many months or spring and summer split spawns.

Personally, I only do CPR fishing during the spawn (catch/photo/release) unless it is a trophy or citation that must be weighhed on certified scales.

TOXIC

I do CPR on everything except walleye, crappie, bluegill, perch, etc.,etc,etc....:D

Those get the skillet!:lol:

I don't know why Toxic is worred 'cause he don't catch that many fish anyway! LOL At least when he catches one during the spawn he kisses it before he puts it back in the water!

There are studies done by the Ohio DNR that say the biggest threat to smallmouth spawning on Lake Erie is the wind. NOT humans....

Mini

the study you refer to deals with the effect of gobies on one bed. Not on the fishery as a whole.

Mini...not tryin' to get off topic but, did you see the new Culprit hard and soft bodied Gobies?

They look cool:cool:

Latest posts

Back