Is fiberglass bad for a bass boat?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClubMonki

Reaction score
I own a Nitro, and yes of course it’s glass. Great at speed and it feels nice to be on. But bass boats get close to rocks, they need to move easy and I read glass don’t have the longevity of other boats. Why did Tracker go with Glass for the Nitro line instead of steal or aluminum witch seems much more turable? Excuse my ignorance. I am new to my boat.

Fiberglass is more durable than many realize. I have owned numerous boats, glass and aluminum. Lots of pros and cons on both sides. I settled on glass for bass fishing due to a more stable ride, less movement when you move around inside the boat and with less vibrations in rough water. Glass boats tend to be somewhat more refined with better box lid protection from water intrusion. There has been improvement with that in recent years but a lot of metal boats still have leaky lids. I found my metal boats to be hotter- inside and out, during bright hot days on the water.. Metal boats generally move around well in shallow water more easily with less draft so that can be a plus in many situations. That can also be a problem on windy days. There are times when I would love to have a choice of metal or glass depending on where I will be and what conditions. Not practical to maintain that option. It is a matter of personal preference.
Most important think is to be out there on the water- the fish won't care what you are fishing from...

iv owned both. i loved my front steer lowe line big john boat . it would fly. and run in shallow water.however i managed to break frames several times . rough water.
my present nitro 160 ricky clune edition is much smoother and faster and fishes just as well. when im asked i will say glass boats have 2 speeds fast or slow , not so good in between.

Nothing wrong with a glass boat matter of fact, I would say 75% of all bass boats are glass especially those equiped with high horsepower motors . Any boat properly taken care of will last a long time. Unfortunately older Nitros and Trackers were and are considered bargin basement entry level boats when new thus they were not taken care of very well at the outset. It is still possible to find a real cream puff older rig. If I was looking for a NEW Bass Boat at this time I would not hesitate to purchase a Nitro, alot of bang for your bucks.

And glass boats are repairable. Don't ask how I know. A little time, some resin, and a good supply of 1000/2000 grit wet/dry..........

If anyone gets IN-FISHERMAN magazine there is a article on boat hulls in the March - April issue. It highlights new hull designs both in fiberglass and aluminum hulls.

And glass boats are repairable. Don't ask how I know. A little time, some resin, and a good supply of 1000/2000 grit wet/dry..........
Yup. Easily repaired for $500
Arghh.jpgArghh 2.jpg

A good way to learn how to repair the fiberglass is to look it up on youtube, but be careful which one you follow. Some guys do so much editing that you don't see the step by step they took. Some don't know all the steps in mixing the resin. I would definitely recommend using the PVA sprayer and learn how to apply it. Learn how the resin and gel work together. Get the color matching before you add the resin.

Latest posts

Back