Interstate batteries..opinions??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Rizza

Reaction score
Just found out that I can get Interstate batteries where I work for the same price as they get them for. Part of the deal was that employees get them for the discounted price.

I can get a 31 series deepcycle for $70... I've used Delcos in the past and have always had good luck with them.

Just wondering if anybody has any any opinions on Interstates.

Steve

Im not a fan of the interstates at all(or thier sister batteries like everstart, die hard etc). They have come in my last two boats and both times they didnt last a season before i would have a dead cell and had to replace one or both.

I have never had one i liked in a car either.

just my .02

Steve, I've had 2 interstate group 27's in my TV-18. Just replaced the second one after 6 years with an everstart Max. Was happy with the everstarts, just more convenient to buy everstart.

Just my experience.

BruceM

Had an interstate deep cycle size 27 in my tracker. Lasted only a bit past two years. Too short in my view. The interstate starting battery, however, is still going (three years so far). I replaced the trolling battery with a BPS special.

JC

My boat is an 01 and the original Interstate starting battery is still going strong. I replaced the original Interstate TM battery when it was in it's third year.

When I sold cars the general opinion of Interstate batteries was they were pretty good batteries....especially for the money.

Harpo

I've used Interstate for the past 18 years M24's M27's and all that time I found one bad battery that the Warehouse replaced with no question.

Interstate is one of the more popular brands and is carried by a lot of stores

#1 thing is to check the manufacturers date on the battery and make sure it is fresh and if possible find out where the local distributor is and buy them there.

I replaced my Interstate T/M battery one season after I bought the boat new. Bryon Fary (NTOWS member) replaced the cranking battery this year, he bought my old boat. I had to replace the Interstate T/M batteries in my old Champion and Nitro way sooner than I should have. I'll never have another one. Thankfully my G3 dealer didn't sell Interstates.

Steve

Interstate is made by Johnson Controls - which of course makes batteries for several different 'sellers'. I'm not a fan.

Alternately though, my Everstarts I put in last year have done well. One of these day's I'm going to opt for some of the 'better' batteries, but I simply haven't as yet. Since I fish 'around' the Carolinas, I choose the WalMart branded batteries, for I can get them replaced easily almost anywhere.

Tex

Never had any luck with interstate batteries...never own another one. delco-marine has been one of the best batteries i've owned yet. Bought one (delco) for the jon boat back in 89-90 and i put it in my nitro a yr. after i bought it new in 98 to replace one of the interstate batt. and is still starting the nitro.I had to replaced the other interstate the next yr. with a delco.

Steve

Haven't had very good luck with Interstate batteries here either. I used to race a dirt late model and would go through them like crazy until we switched to AC Delco's and never had any more problems. When I bought my first boat it had Interstates in it and I only got 1 season out of the trolling battery and then my current boat came with Interstates and I got a year and a half out of the trolling battery and switched to AC Delco's and am on the third year with no problems yet with them.

Funny you should ask the question about Interstate. Had Jim C down on Wednesday for some fishing and we were talking about batteries. I have four (4) Interstates in my boat (1 crankin' and 4 trollers) and the boat is now 4 years old. All batteries are going strong. I just make sure they are topped off with distilled water and charge them after the second or third trip on the trollers. The crankin' battery has never been charged (other than by the engine) since I bought it since I fish all year long.

When my batteries go I think I will stick with Interstates!

i must be doing something wrong .My 2 trolling and 1 starting interstates came with the boat new. they are still going strong since oct 98.I charge them as soon as i get off the lake and use distilled water to fill them. I have a 3 bank pro mariner charger that I leave on all the time that I am not on the water. i have been waiting for them to go bad but they havent.

because Im writing this they probably just died ,but they have always been good up till now.

good luck

ray

I had interstate's that came with the Nitro and they did not perform well or last more than 2 years. I switched to Delco's and they seem to last much longer and are even sealed.

I don't like Interstate batteries at all. My 1998 Nitro had them and they were junk and I swore I would never use them and then my 2005 came with them. Well 7 years had passed and they still suck. The reserve power is terrible so they will be getting replaced with AC Delco Yoyagers soon.

BTW, I keep them charged and maintain the water levels. They just don't hold up well for me.

I truly think that it all has to do with the care you give the batteries no matter what brand and yes, you can get a "lemon". Keeping them "hot" with a maintainer and filled with distilled water is the key. The amount of pounding they take while running makes a difference also. My two cents.....kenny oh, I have interstates in my 02 Tracker (one tm and one start), seem to be working fine but the tm unit is getting weak I think....when it goes, I will get an everstart, too easy at wally world...

Thanks guys.

I have always had good luck with Delcos. For the price I can get Interstates for, I figured I'd ask around.

I'll probably just stick with what I know works.

Steve

I've received Interstates with every boat I've owned (my 05 Triton is my 5th rig), and in every one, they were removed. The first boat's 24 starting and 27 trolling batteries were dying within a year. The second boat's starting and one trolling died almost completely within a few months. The third boat, fourth boat, and my current boat all had them removed upon delivery. I started replacing them in the third boat with various brands - including EverStart, Autozone's brand, Advance Auto's brand, and finally Douglas Marine 31 group, which lasted longer than the others, but still had some issues (cases for one). All were replaced at one point or another. Then I tried Trojan's SCS series of trolling motor batteries, and a 27 group Trojan starting battery, and I never changed to another brand.

I hear a lot of people talking about "convienience" in replacing a battery that goes "kaput" on the water. Well how about not having to worry about that? Wouldn't having a reliable battery under all conditions be a lot better than the "convenience" of a local Wal Mart to replace a battery that dies on day one or two of a important tournament??? I'm sure someone, somewhere, has had a Trojan die on them - I'm not saying that Trojans will never fail, but if they do, it's probably because of lack of maintenance, and even then, my Trojans have held up better than any battery on the market - even going two days between charges on a two day tournament that we were camping out for - my SCS225's (30 group) were still pulling strong at the end of day 2. For batteries, I totally believe that you "get what you pay for", and Trojan isn't that much more expensive than a lot of others - in fact, it's not the most expensive one out there - I think I paid $114 for my SCS's last year for the new boat.

So for my opinion on Interstates - Nope. I have two 1 year old 27 groups sitting on a battery tray in my garage... gathering dust.

All the best,

Glenn

I know where you are coming from Glenn.

Last thing I want to happen is to be on Lake Erie in a 17 ft Tracker with a dead battery, watching a storm move in.:(

Where can you get Trojans (no jokes please:wacko: )? I have never seen them for sale anywhere.

Steve

Our local Gander Mountain store carries them, in the Chicago area.

Steve,

Most cities have a actual battery store somewhere - not the local WalMart, Auto parts store, etc... but a real battery store. Most of the time, people don't even notice them, because they don't "frequent" a battery store. :D This is especially true if you have any kind of farming or heavy equipment companies in the area (big rigs, etc...). If not, if there is a golf course in your local area, call them and ask their maintenance people what they run in their golf carts, and where they get them, as Trojan is a major supplier to tons of golf courses. Or you can just check their website for a local distributor: http://www.trojan-battery.com/

The very first time I was looking for Trojan, I called them and they made arrangements for one of their local distributors to call me. They were delivering Golf Cart batteries to a local course, and told me they would throw mine on the truck with them. They ended up delivering them to me, no extra charge.

All the best,

Glenn

You're very welcome. I hope you are happy with whatever you decide to install in your rig. If they are maroon in color, then that's all the better. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back