Interference issues with HB SI units

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffry Skidmore

Reaction score
My buddy just bought a new Min Kota digital 82# tm. He's running a 998 SIHd on bow, the transducer is mounted on tm foot. Set up exactly the same as with old tm. Issue isthat when he powers u new tm, it blanks out SI & DI. Not only on the bow unit 998, but also on the 1197 unit at helm. The two units are not networked, & are powered by cranking battery. Sonar / GPS not affected on either unit, only SI/DI, and on both units. Anyone got any ideas as to how to resolve the issue? Thanks in advance.

My buddy just bought a new Min Kota digital 82# tm. He's running a 998 SIHd on bow, the transducer is mounted on tm foot. Set up exactly the same as with old tm. Issue isthat when he powers u new tm, it blanks out SI & DI. Not only on the bow unit 998, but also on the 1197 unit at helm. The two units are not networked, & are powered by cranking battery. Sonar / GPS not affected on either unit, only SI/DI, and on both units. Anyone got any ideas as to how to resolve the issue? Thanks in advance.

Does he have an onboard battery charger that is connected to the trolling motor batteries and the starting battery?

Tell him to contact Humminbird Customer Service and explain his entire setup and symptoms.

It is not unusual for RFI to affect one technology and not the other since RFI can be any frequency. Imaging and traditional sonar have 4 frequencies----83, 200, 455, and 800 kHz.

Follow up. It is a MotorGuide tm. I spoke to HB CS, and they are sending a " ferrite collar" to install on transducer cable. Will let you guys know how it works. Thanks to HB CS for their prompt and friendly service. Greg, you guys rock!!!

Follow up. It is a MotorGuide tm. I spoke to HB CS, and they are sending a " ferrite collar" to install on transducer cable. Will let you guys know how it works. Thanks to HB CS for their prompt and friendly service. Greg, you guys rock!!!

The ferrite ring fixed the RFI for a friend of mine that has a Minnkota Fortrex.

I had to add a ground wire with my Motor Guide Tour setup.

Thanks Wayne. Howdid you connect the ground? He has a MG Pro 82#. We are planning to work on it Saturday, and id like to get my Robertsons in a row in case we have to add the ground.

Thanks Wayne. Howdid you connect the ground? He has a MG Pro 82#. We are planning to work on it Saturday, and id like to get my Robertsons in a row in case we have to add the ground.

Use a stainless steel hose clamp that fits around the upper shaft of the trolling motor. Put it between the mount and head.
Attach a stranded 16 or 18 guage wire under the clamp (remove about 1" of insulation) and connect the other end to the NEGATIVE (BLACK) wire of the unit power cord wherever that is connected.
If that doesn't work, remove it from the unit power cord and attach it to the NEGATIVE (BLACK) wire of the trolling motor. If the boat has a plug in for the trolling motor, you can attach it to the back (under the deck) of the trolling motor receptacle.
Do the testing on the water with the motor deployed since water is part of the grounding. Testing on land tells you nothing.

One more thing, if the transducer cable is routed along the trolling motor power cord/steering cable, remove that and run the cable along the mount to the deck, then to the display.

He has the transducer cable zip tied along TM power/steering cable. I mentioned that he needed to re-route that, but he's not seeing the correlation because of the effect on the console unit. I'll have to try again to convince him to re-route it. I had him do it when he bought the 998 from me, so we'll see what happens. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back