Installing underwater lights on the transom

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Betty Smith

Reaction score
I'm contemplating a suprise for my husbands' upcoming b'day. He's going fishing with his brothers just a little after that time. Anyways, we've both been admiring those underwater transom lights that you see on the big boats. Could anyone recommend a type/version for a 17ft bass boat? I found a switch that isn't connected to anything where an old fishfinder used to be. I'm thinking that putting some transom lights on Johnnys' boat would really up the "cool factor" on his new bassmobile. Not wanting to spend a ton of money, but would like to find something that will look nice. How do the surface mounted units hold up? Are the through the transom type better?:D

I've never seen that on a bassboat. Usually they are mounted through hull on the big boats I think. It would be very hard putting an external light on the transom that didn't interfere with the operation of the boat. Nice thought but bad idea!!;)

TOXIC

Blue water LED makes stick-on submergable LED, i have 1 in each live well, and one

below the water line, on the transom, looks pretty cool in the dark.

Two old sayings come to mind."Don't throw the Baby out with the bath water" and "Don't cut a hole in the bottom of a boat or a roof that don't leak" I like the idea of led strips.. Can run length wise with the hull and not effect operation. Doing it as a surprise might not be a good idea?

BF

Duh......I totally forgot about the submersible LED's I was thinking Swamp People lights:lol::lol: Google Bluewater LED's. Great guy to work with.

TOXIC

My idea is to light up the wake as he goes zipping along at night, also to light up the sides of the boat. I've purchased 6 strip lights, but they still have to be wired into a battery somehow. The hole in the boat needs to be 3/8" only, so I'm sure sealing it won't be as hard as all that. What would the best configuration be to light up the wake? Thanks, guys~!~:D

I'm with Bruce, I wouldn't drill a hole in your boat. Maybe run the wiring through one of the drain holes in the transom well.

Before you buy them check with your state to see if they are legal to use. Some states do not allow them. Most do not allow them to be illuminated while underway, especially at night.

the lights you see on the lake at night are for navigation. Any additional lighting can confuse others.

Bruce, I see what you mean, but I've caught Johnny admiring the pics. of lights on the big yachts. I think I'll take the boat in and have them installed professionally. If I can seal the motor mounts, I don't think it would be a big deal to seal up a 3/8" hole for the wires. But before I do anything, I'll take your advice and ask him what he thinks.

Mini,

I've never seen anything in the regs. that says you can't use them. Maybe if I just mount them on the transom, it won't matter!

Betty:D

Bruce, I see what you mean, but I've caught Johnny admiring the pics. of lights on the big yachts. I think I'll take the boat in and have them installed professionally. If I can seal the motor mounts, I don't think it would be a big deal to seal up a 3/8" hole for the wires. But before I do anything, I'll take your advice and ask him what he thinks.

Mini,

I've never seen anything in the regs. that says you can't use them. Maybe if I just mount them on the transom, it won't matter!

Betty:D

Thanks, Mini. I will check first. I haven't seen anything in the regs. that says we can't use them, but you never know. Something new could have been written in the interim.

If nothing else, we can wire them for use in the bait wells, although I would really like the idea of having a little more light on the boat when we're out fishing late. We have one little courtesy light on the whole boat and it isn't really good for much. I'm thinking that you might be right about cutting even a small hole in the transom, but it wouldn't hurt to add some lights on the deck so we could see.

thanks,

Betty:rolleyes:

There are packages made for the deck lighting and the livewells, all the wiring and instructions in one box. Check with Bluewater.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back