Installed my first Keel Shield today - nice!

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
When I had my old boat, I kept saying that I was going to install / get installed some kind of keel protection. I never did, but vowed my next boat would have one. My 05 'toon came with a factory installed Hamby's, so I didn't have to worry about it.

However, a friend of mine called me yesterday because he had won a Keel Shield, and asked if I could come help him today. He and I worked it out to start about "9ish" this morning. He called shortly after 9:15, as I was walking out my door to drive over to his place (about 5 minutes up the road). He didn't have alcohol, needed for the prep work, so I stopped at the local Food Lion grocery store and picked up a bottle for him.

I arrived at his place at 9:45, and we started reading directions together (two heads are better than one most of the time :lol: ). We started to tape it in place to trace the outline and discovered painters masking tape wouldn't hold it in place... so another trip up the road to the store was needed for some regular masking tape.

Got back and taped it in place after taking some required measurements as per the directions. Marked around it, and then removed it. We masked it with the painters tape around the marked areas, and began a double job of prep and scuff. He went over it with alcohol, and then I did. He then scuffed it with the pad, and then I did. He then wiped it again with alcohol, as did I. Then he did the :wacko: part - that activator stuff. Thankfully he had just put a fan in the garage, as we would probably have both killed some brain cells. That stuff has some serious vapors coming from it. All this time, the Keel Shield was sitting in the sun outside on his truck tailgate. When the activator was dry, the KS was good, soft and flexible. It went on perfectly down the center, and we smoothed it out per the directions. Then we cleaned up the outside edges and all residue with the alcohol again.

Done by 11:45. So it took two people, taking their time, shooting the breeze between steps, including a trip to the hardware store for tape - almost 2 hours. Looking back at it, if we had done it quickly (i.e. - if we already knew how to do it and just breezed through the directions with the tools we needed on hand), I'm sure it wouldn't have taken us about a third of that time.

So... If you are considering installing a Keel Shield - I highly recommend it. Very good directions, squeegee, activator, etc... all included in the kit. All you need to have on hand is some strong masking tape, alcohol, and a crayon/grease pencil. I also liked having the blue painters tape on hand for the outline, as it is easier to work with and remove than standard masking tape. I think it can easily be done alone, but it is handy to have an extra set of hands / eyes for the install, and I highly recommend it.

There it is - my first install. OK, the doors are now open for business. "Glenn's KeelShield Installation", Chesapeake VA... Soon to have a new office in San Antonio TX(Hey! Two months and I'm already expanding!) :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Well, saddle up big boy!!:lol::lol: I have to go to Anglers Choice to do an install!! They need a little refresher on how to Git er' Dun!! We could do the install/demonstration then head to the lake!!:p I actually use thin boxing tape to hold the shield on while doing the grease pen thing. I've done a lot by myself and it is 50% easier with 2 people ESPECIALLY when you start peeling off the shield tape and you have to get it centered THE FIRST TIME, cause if you don't, it ain't commin off for a second try. One of the most overlooked important steps is to squeege it down soild. If there are any air pockets it will work loose over time.

TOXIC

Oh no! Tox and I doing demo's together!!! Look out Anglers Choice! I hope they don't have any camera's rolling! :lol:

Just let me know when bro... and I'll make arrangements.

All the best,

Glenn

Here is a post from the boat owner, along with some pictures of the install:

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=292667

All the best,

Glenn

Ain't nuthin but a thang!! No different than us doing BPS work only this IS a little more work. I'd really like someone I know covering my back. I'll give you a shout out when I talk to them (Anglers Choice). Email me your tournament schedule, I want to do it on a weekend if possible but it all depends on when they want me there. It's one long arse drive for me but I will pull my boat down if necessary. Maybe we outta go to Buggs Island and camp or sumthin?? Kind of a last hurrah before you shove off!!

TOXIC

When you said he didn't have any "alcohol" I was thinking the other kind:(!:lol::lol:

Tim

:lol: It would have taken us at least three times as long with that kind of alcohol! :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

It may have taken you longer, but some of the best stories always start out "Well we bought a 12 pack and....":lol::lol:

Tim

Latest posts

Back