INCREDIBLE SERVICE--LONG

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Duncan

Reaction score
I am previous Nitro owner that loved my Mercury, but I have to say that I am a changed man. I bought a new to me 2006 Stratos 285 Pro XL with a 150 E-Tec in October. I loved the value of the boat and with only 12 hours on motor, I didn't think I could go wrong. Well, after about 2 months I started noticing hesitation on the hole shot. I took it back to the dealer to have it serviced and they told me no faults came back on the computer and that everything was fine.

Well, a week later the motor blew. Pulled plug on second cylinder and it was shattered. I decided not to call the dealership where I bought the boat, but to call a dealership that my friend has been loyal to. I called at 11 am on a Saturday, and they told me to bring the boat in. I told them that I was at the bottom end of Lake Norman and that by the time i could get there, it would be pushing 3 in the afternoon. I was shocked when they told me, "No problem, we'll keep our mechanic here until you get here and we'll figure out what we need to do."

Now, I have never been to this dealership before and they didn't know me from Adam. To say the least, I was shocked. I called my original dealer and told them the same thing as I was idling in. (The motor still ran even though the second cylinder was blown, by the way) The original dealer said, "Bring it up on Tuesday, we won't be here by the time you get here." (They are closed on Mondays) I politely told them where they could go and took my boat to the other dealer.

I arrive there at 3 pm and they look at the motor and tell me the same thing I already knew, but tell me they will call BRP Monday morning. I am really depressed because I heard E-Tec's blew up a LOT.

Well, I get a call Monday morning and the dealer tells me they have alerted BRP and they wanted the diagnostics faxed and would get back to them. The dealer told me to call back on Tuesday about 4 to see if they have heard anything.

At 9:30 am on Tuesday, the dealer calls me and says, "Your motor is here. Bring the boat down when you get a chance and we'll get it on for you."

I thought it was one of my buddies screwing with me, so I call them back, and sure enough, the motor is there. I take the boat down at 3 pm, and amazingly, they stay until 9:35 hanging the motor.

Needless to say, I was flabbergasted. Unbelieveable. I am so impressed with BRP and the dealership that I don't believe I can ever go back to Mercury or Nitro. Unbelieveable service and incredible attention to detail. Hats off to VERSATECH MARINE in Newton, North Carolina and BRP. I am now SOLD!

I can now see why some dealerships are a joy to work with.

Pass on to that dealer a copy of a letter I am sure you are going to write to BRP... And, post here in the dealer report cards. I have a mechanic who is that loyal to his customers and it makes any trip in the boat a lot more pleasent to know that if somethng does go wrong there is someone watching your back...

Congrats to that dealer..

Jim,

Sounds to me like you have found a new "life partner" and Versatech Marine a life long customer!! Congratulations, it is nice to know that this kind of service and dealer still exist.

Tim

Good ending but it has nothing what-so-ever to do with NITRO?!?!

I don't believe I can ever go back to Mercury or Nitro
I assume you mean NITRO because they only rig with Mercs?

Glad you are happy. I had a dealer service my Merc above and beyond the call of duty just to get me on the water. You take the good with the bad with any manufacturer. It is good to keep track of the happy endings as well as the nightmares.

TOXIC

Jim, in your message you stated you would not go back to the dealer you bought it from. I too, am not sure what this has to do with Nitro, Tracker. I am glad you found a good mechanic, but no mamufacture had anything to do with it.

Bubby:)

I'm glad you are happy, and this is a good story. I would not however use this as a reason to avoid Mercs, remember that your engine did take a dump at 12 hrs. It could happen to either of them.

Our Tracker Dealership at Bass Pro is going all out to provide customer service. I know all the guys there and I've seen them putting in the after hours to get a boat ready on time.

fatrap

PS. Sound like a great dealer. I've seen terrible ones on all sides of the fence.

I was thinking the same thing as Berry. Its great that they stepped up and fixed it but i wouldnt put down Merc because of it since the motor did take a crap at 12 hours. Really if the motor was under warranty BRP did what they should have and fixed it. The dealer should be commended for sure for going above and beyond to make you happy. Since the dealer is a good on id stick with them regardless of what brand they sell because in the end its them doing the service.

I have been on the other side of the fence with my last Evinrude that was in a constant statwe of broken and to top it all off OMC went under during the time i owned it too. My dealer at the time was also lacking in the CS dpt( my nitro/merc dealer does not lack in that dpt in any way). I was stuck with a turd with no warranty. My last merc, fantastic in every way. In my eyes the reason i bought antoher Merc is it never really broke, it just worked and that was reason enough to stick with them.

I'm sorry, but I guess I didn't pre-empt my post with what happened with me and my Nitro/Merc. I am not saying that Nitro is not a good boat or that Merc is not a good engine. All I am saying is that I will not go back to Merc after the service I received on my E-Tec. I would gladly go back to Nitro because I love the layout and ride, but only if I could rig it with an E-Tec. I know the E-Tec blew in 12 hours, but I was back on the water in less than a week with a brand new motor. I think that is pretty hard to beat. I had service issues with every Merc dealer I went to. Maybe I just went to all the wrong ones, probably will never know.

Also, let me say that I am not attepting to bash Nitro intentionally, but I guess that is exactly what I am doing to Merc. I am not trying to start the urination match on which motor is best, etc. I just wanted to pass along the great service I received from a dealer on an E-Tec.

I have posted many times in the past and am a frequent "lurker." Let me also say that people on this board seem to be very open and honest and very genuine. Hats off to you all.

Jim can you clarify something for me please

Also, let me say that I am not attepting to bash Nitro intentionally, but I guess that is exactly what I am doing to Merc. I am not trying to start the urination match on which motor is best, etc. I just wanted to pass along the great service I received from a dealer on an E-Tec.

I guess im confused at this statment a little. It seems like your lumping the engine maker in with the dealer and really they are two completly seperate entity's that have zero control over the other. I can understand a bad experience at any dealer but to bash merc because one Rude dealer gave you great service when your original Rude dealer wouldnt i think is more a reflection on the dealer and how they value thier customers then it is on BRP. If you had some bad experience with merc dealers id be flaming them not merc per-se. Personally if i were in your shoes id be flaming mad at BRP for my motor frying at 12 hours regardless if they fixed it or not, that stuff should never happen in my eyes. Kudo's to the dealer you used to make it right, they stepped up and got it done.

Personally if I were in your shoes I'd be flaming mad at BRP for my motor frying at 12 hours regardless if they fixed it or not, that stuff should never happen in my eyes. Kudo's to the dealer you used to make it right, they stepped up and got it done.

Wow do I agree..

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back