In Memory Of My Birthday( TREP)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR F

Reaction score

THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY THIS:

'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when

you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.

'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. !

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going

to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about

how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my

childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :

Some parents owned their own house,NEVER wore Levis , set foot on a

golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving charge

card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears &

Roebuck.

Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because

we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50

pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 19.

It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air

at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God;

it came back on the air at about 6 a..m. and there was usually a

locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.

I was 21 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.'

When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid

off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that,

too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

I never had a telephone in my room.

The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a

party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure

some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered

newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It

cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get

up at 6AM every morning.

On Saturday, he had to collect the 42 cents from his customers. His

favorite customers were the ones who gave him 50 cents and told him to

keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed

to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the

movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were

responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without 20

profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may

want to share some of these memories with your children or

grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend :

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December)

and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top

was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it... I knew immediately what

it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to

make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat

on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we

didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.

Ignition switches on the dashboard.

Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.

Real ice boxes.

Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.

Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.

Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about.

Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum

2.Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water

3. Candy cigarettes

4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles

5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes

6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers

7. Party lines on the telephone

8. Newsreels before the movie

9. P.F. Flyers

10. Butch wax

11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and

were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were

only 3 channels [if you were fortunate])

12. Peashooters

13. Howdy Doody

14. 45 RPM records

15. S& H greenstamps

16. Hi-fi's

17. Metal ice trays with lever

18. Mimeograph paper

19. Blue flashbulb

20. Packards

21. Roller skate keys

22. Cork popguns

23. Drive-ins

24. Studebakers

25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young

If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older

If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,

If you remembered 16-25 = You' re older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best

parts of my life..

Don't forget to pass this along!!

Especially to all your really OLD, and not so old friends...

'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down

together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put

on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'JR

JR - PRICELESS!! Boys in our house still have to ask "permission to leave the table.

"! I think the things my kids like right now from my childhood (i'm ONLY 43 remember) is my music (AC/DC, Van Halen, Ozzy...) and Cars (Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Challenger) - Its a start!!! LOL

Oh, and JR is older then me!!!! BBWWWWAAAAA :lol::lol:

Don't remember any of this....I heard old folks talking about some of these things, but never witnessed them. What about listening to the Lone Ranger on the radio, before you had a tv? JR, it has been quite awhile since I had a perfect score on anything ... until today.

Bubby:)

I can remember 19 of the 25... but wait a minute - I grew up in Southern Louisiana. My home down was at least 10 years behind the rest of the world. I should get a little credit - maybe deduct 4 to get me into the "don't tell your age" catagory? :lol:

The only reason I knew about Packards and Studebakers was that my uncle Leonard used to restore them and show them... so that should bring me down to 17... Darn it! Still in the older than dirt catagory! :p

All the best,

Glenn

HA Ha Love It I actually go back before TV...It came on at 4 pm went off at 11....I guess I am old...HA HA..Just thing Guy's and Gal's what you have to look forward to..By the way My first car was a 1950 chevy....I actually drove It to school...I was a Little young at the time...:D JR

I'm 54 and I remember 19 but like Glenn, I'm from way down South and we were 10 years behind the rest of the world. I remember when we got the first fast food in town, Hardee's and we had to go out of town to find a dinner with juke boxes at the table, once a year when we went to Augusta, Ga to Christmas shopping. I've "tried" to raise my three with those same values of old.

24 out of 25 and I am only 49, but since I was born in Indiana. Well I guess that covers it.

BF

All 25! And, we did have a fast food restaurant, "The Maid Rite". The Geise family has owned since the 20's... It's a loose meat sandwhich that is unique to my hometown, Quincy, Illinois (there are "other" Maid Rits sandwhich shops, even franchised, but not the same taste). The recipe is still a "secret" (although I know it as a result of dating one of the granddaughters in college and she let it slip while complaining about making it). ANyway, it is a colorful place. Henry Geise shot and killed a burglar in the shop in the 50's.

TV came to my town three weeks after we bought a set from my uncle at Sears... a "Silvertone" console. We watched the test pattern with the indian head on the top for hours as neighbors came by to see it. Some folks in town had 30' telephone poles so they could watch snowy black and white TV from St Louis (100 miles away); but we waited for a local CBS affiliate to come on the air in 1954.

I remember glass bottles for soda because we would scrounge around the factories a few blocks from home to find bottles for the 2 cents deposit. Five bottles got you into a Saturday Matinee movie and another dinme got you candy or a soda and small popcorn.

My first pack of cigarettes (I was 13...LOL) cost 20 cents! Our papers were only 5 cents when I delivered them for a year... I was 9yrs old! (I sort of lied about my age to get the route, had to be 11. I just applied and never said how old I was. I think Mrs. Walton knew but looked the other way since she knew my Mom was a widow).

And do I remember Drive-ins... Fondly, very fondly!!!:wub::unsure:

Party line... our number (before dial phones) was 1365B. After that our number was 223-3165. My Mother had that number from 1949 to 2005.

Wash tub wringers and "wringer washing machines"... "Ding" and I got to run down the stairs and switch the laundry nd put in another load. Drain the second to last tub and make the final rinse tub the first rinse tub... drain the washer and refill it with hot water... How about "Little Boy Blue Bluing" to make whites whiter?

Corner grocery stores with stuff on shelves behind the counter that the grocer got fo you...

I'm older than JR... And, apparently from a bit more rural background...

Fast food for us was rabbits and deer! We didn't have a fastfood place until I was a senior in high school. Does anyone remember "Burger Chef"?

Chris.... I worked for a partnership that owned five Sandy's stores. I worked there long enough to become a Lead and Asst. manager... They sold out to Hardee's many years later...

I have AC/DC flip flops!!:lol::lol: Remember Kings and Lums restaurants. Shakeys Pizza where you got a Styrofoam hat with your pizza? I remember my Dad loosing it because my Uncle blew up our milkbox with m-80's:lol:

TOXIC

Boy, I must be old. I remember those and more. How about outside outhouses? This was at my grandma's house. No a/c in schools, standard shifts in cars, a.m. radios in cars. I can on, but I will just give out my age.

Barry from La.:)

I was asst mgr. at burger chef here.....HA that was a few years back....

JR,

We got our Burger Chef in 1976 and thought we were in hog heaven. Only "fast food" we had until a Pizza Hut moved in around 1980. Now when I go back home you can't recognize the place for all the FF joints up and down both sides of the highway. I liked it alot better before fast food.......

OMG!!..Burger Chef and Jeff!! LOL!! We had one of those in MI. where I went to college...I did like their fish sandwiches!! Are they even around anymore???

THEN,....some GENIUS put a Burger King in the same parking lot as the bar we use to hang out in....the bar would close at 2am..and then we'd all make a bee-line to the "BK Lounge" and chow!! They stayed open 'till 3am just for the bar crowd!! Man,..the poor workers had to put up with a ton of "stupid drunk tricks" for that last hour!! Those were the days!!!:lol::p:rolleyes:

Last year on one of our trips up to visit her parents,..my wife and I drove around the 'ol campus (we met there) and all around town reminescing about our FSU days. We drove by all the dorms, houses and apt's we lived in,..the bars we frequented and all around town. Man, that place sure has changed over the last 25-30 years!! One of my frat bro's has been the Head Football coach for almost 10 years now and another one is a CCHA ref. I see him on TV occasionally if he's reffing that game.(OHH the stories I could tell of our Frat/Sorority days back then!!:blink::wacko: ) GREAT TIMES for sure!!

I was working at the chef In 1961 or 1962...Lost memory..getting old you know...

Burger Chef went TU many years ago. I was told the last one in existence was one that was taken over privately in Hagerstown, MD (it's now an Advanced Auto Store). It was just a couple of blocks from where I lived after I got out of the military. It wasn't the same as it was in the old days.....

I have not seen a burger chef since the late 60's early 70's. They did not have them on the east coast when we moved here in 73? But I had never heard or seen soccer or lacrosse before then either.

BF

P.S or field hockey, heck even ice hockey before then.

Latest posts

Back