Ike's Rules - New DVD from Iaconelli

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
I just watched the new DVD from Iaconelli - "Ike's Rules". It is the first of a series of DVD's that he is putting out there. I know there are many people who don't like him but I must say that if you read his book and then see his video, your opinion of him might change.

The info is well organized and refreshing. It is nicely choreographed and fairly smooth from start to finish and very entertaining. The main premise of this video is to prepare you to fish a body of water you never fished before and what you need to do to prepare mentally and physically for this.

Mike introduces this method of doing homework which includes taking a map and circling seasonal patterns and routes in-between seasonal patterns to identify areas of high percentage where the bass might be. Once he had done this, then he physically starts breaking down that area with lures that can help identify structure, cover, etc... and explains how to use them.

The only thing I thought could have been better is the final sequence where he catches a bass under heavy cover. The video went from him looking at a drop off to figuring out the structure and cover for that area and then jumping to this later area of the lake that didn't seem related to what he had just done. He talked through it and there was text explaining the steps that got him there, but it would have been nice to have visually seen how he determined this was the best location after fishing the first area.

All-in-all, for a novice who is interested in fishing new bodies of water or for someone looking to come up with a method for pre-fishing tournaments, it was very interesting. Oh yeah, you would be interested in seeing the difference in his teaching personality versus his tournament personality. He is much more calm, yet entertaining and it shows through that he is an excellent teacher. I would recommend this as it is a nice change from many of the other videos out there today. I am hoping he does one on braking odwn the water column and how to fish the different zones in a water column once you located the bass.

Ike's%20Rules%20scaled%20down%20with%20logo.jpg

Bill, The Mad Kayaker

He went over 'some' of this at the Bassmaster Univ. I attended this spring (maps and such). One thing I really understood after listening to him, was just how detailed and prepared he is. You wouldn't think it, looking at some of his 'personality' - but it was pretty obvious he is VERY organized.

Tex

There is actually a Bassmaster University? Man, I have a lot to learn about bass fishing.

Good one Uncle Bill.:) but I gotta' warn you, I need the Bass fishing 101 course for beginners.

Oh, sorry about those Redskins. Maybe the Ravens can keep it within 14 pts tonight.:eek:

Aaron, that site Harpo suggested is great. Give it a try. In regard to being a beginner, etc., trust me, I don't fish tournaments anymore, power fish anymore or really do anything except

try to get out there and enjoy myself. We'll have to get together one day.

Bill

Thanks Harpo, Just the info I need. Maybe I'll soon be able to post a hawg soon. Guess I better practice the Neeley smile.

We'll hook up sometime Bill.

Hey, if anyone has the Iaconelli book and are willing to lend it out I'd like to read it. Not enough to buy it however.:)

Bill

re: Ike's Rules - New DVD from Iaconelli by Aaron,10/31/2005 19:45 ET

Thanks Harpo, Just the info I need. Maybe I'll soon be able to post a hawg soon. Guess I better practice the Neeley smile.

MVM and Bass 009.jpg

Uncle Billy, I have the book and it is a great read. It's on loan right now but when I get it back I can send it your way. Aaron you missed it man, last spring they did a two day Bassmaster U at HCC. Mike was there and Woo, Denny Brauer and three other guys, the one guy put me to sleep both days, the other two I know by name but I just can't remember at this moment. I learned alot that weekend. I can even give you a copy of the notes I took if I ever bump into you.

BF

Thanks Bruce.. Let me know when and I'll throw my address in here.. Heck, you, Aaron and I are going to have to meet up some day. Maybe up on the flats. I've never fished there.

Bill

Remember guys, you can admire and appreciate the man's skills and still not like his antics. That takes nothing away fron his skill with a stick............Ike that is, not Neeley!!:lol::lol::p

TOXIC

That's not what you said when you were playing with MY stick.....:lol:

And I do have skills.....girls like boyfriends with skills, you know, like bowhunting skills, numchuk skills, BIGBASSFISHING skills

Like I said the book is a good read. It's fun, it''s fast. He does not try and tell or teach you how to fish. He tells you how he got there. He tells you his version of how he got where he is now.

BF

If it's laying on the road in front of the house, the bus will run over it before I'd pick it up.

Nothing that guy has to say would I be the least interested in.

The most eloquent re-phrasing of my opinion I

I know this will upset some of you, but I admire anyone who can live their dream, reach the pinnacle of success, attempt another summit and continue to make a decent living all at the same time. The odds are against anyone doing that, not just fishermen. I have never seen Iaconelli be negative about anyone else without provocation - maybe he does this when the cameras aren't on him? I don't know. I have seen others in the top rankings do this.

Does he sometimes go overboard in his enthusiasm? If I just caught a fish that was going to bring me money I'd do the same thing. If I won the $340M powerball last week you got to believe I would be jumping up and down and yelling at the top of my lungs. Hell, If I won the lottery for more than $50K I would be screaming.

I can tell you that when I fish with friends and one of us catches a large bass, we may not be screaming at the top of our lungs, but we are giving high fives and jumping up and down.

Before I got a boat, I would fish out of my kayak and one time a large bass towed me a good 15 yards into coontails. A guy was watching from his deck and started laughing at the whole scene. When I finally got the monster (at least to me!) to the side of the kayak, I was pumped up and if the guy wasn't there, I probably would have screamed at the top of my lungs.

I respect all of your comments and wouldn't hold it against you and don't want to get into a holy war about the guy but did want to give my two cents. When I see him on television, read his book or watch his DVD, it does not make me want to stop fishing - I certainly hope he doesn't have that impact on you. For me, he has an inspirational story and that motivates me. At the end of the day, we all want to fish and catch big fish, right?

Anyway, one final thought - whether you like him or hate him, he has generated alot of interest in fishing. If you don't believe it, look at how many replies there were to this post compared to others in the past few days. In addition, from this post, Aaron is getting info on Bassmaster University, Bill is getting to borrow the book to judge for himself and I got to see some nice pictures from Neeley of fish i only wish I could catch. That is all indirectly connected to talking about Iaconelli - not KVD or Brauer or Clunn, all of whom I like as well.

Bill, The Mad Kayaker

What kills me about the guy is how his "antics" and TV personality are only "on" when the camera's are "on". He was one of the Pro's up at the LifeLine event I fished in 3 weeks ago and there were NO TV camera's there and you would've thought he was at a funeral!! I talked to him for a few minutes in the hallway and introduced him to my wife and the 3 of us chatted for a few minutes. (He actually remembered fishing with me at Beaver Lk in an FLW event 3yrs ago)...anyway,...he was as "normal" as could be and he was very polite and courteous to everyone who approached him. I guess I just don't get the TV persona vs. the real person,....I don't see "other Pro's" acting that way...when it comes to 95% of the other Pro's...what you see is what you get....on camera or off camera,...they are who they are!!

I deffinitely can respect the guys fishing ability and his preparedness going into events.....that's REAL,...but I can deffinitely do without the screaming and dancing and BS

antics.....that's as hokey as it gets IMHO.

Anyway,...I hope he comes back to the LifeLine event next year too,....he agreed to leave a personalized "motivational" voice mail for a clients training seminar to motivate his sales force....and part of it included yelling "NEVER GIVE UP!" ....the audience was laughing hysterically....and his "offer" brought in an extra $500 for the charity....so THAT was worth it!!

Will I buy his DVD??....probably not.....

Carry on,

Mac

As I remember his degree is in marketing? I have never seen the tv side? I don't have cable or a dish, no espn, espn2, oln ect. I have met him a couple of times and like Mac said he is a nice guy to talk too. At the bassmaster U last year I got a tast of how driven he was, his daughters were there and to see how he included them in his part of the program was awsome. Either way once Uncle Billy gets done with the book it will be open to anybody who would like to read it.

BF

Bruce - When Uncle Bill is done, i'd love to have a read. Just let me know where to mail the Postage and Handling fee!!!

Trep, When Uncle Billy is done he can ship it right to you and you can either send on to the next person or back to me..

BF

Bruce - You Da MAN!!! We need Rich to start a new "Resource" on the website - Snail Mail Library for books and DVDs!!! LOL

i will say this about ike, like his antics or not, he is getting his name out there and is probably the most reconized name in fishing right now, and i personally find it hard to put a man down for acting like he does when he backs it up week after week. i hope he fishes the potomac tourny next year so i can follow him and see him in action.

mike

Funny this came up about Ike and his antics, I belong to another bassfishing website wich is local to New Jersey and the Philly area of PA.

Just this pastweekend, there was a pick-up Tourney on a Lake in South Jersey where Ike began his bass fishing. By Pick-up I mean, anyone can show up and fish, got money, your in type of deal, word-of-mouth type of pick-up Tourney. Anyway, guess who shows up in a vintage 1989 Ranger Bass Boat, probably a 373V or something. Mike Ike shows up with one of his friends from NJ, mind you this is an electric only lake in SJ probaly less than 600 acres. He pays his money to fish the 8 hour tourney and throws Cranks & Traps all day just like everybody else. Some people are watching in awe as he fishes the T, seems like from what I read, the guy is a machine behind the pole. In any event, no antics, no screaming, no bling-bling boat or clothes, just him and his buddy in a tourney with local south jersey boys. He wins of course, but mind you, he only got two fish between him and his partner. He hangs out after the Tourney, signs some auto's and takes a couple pictures with the younegr guys who wanted them from the Tourney.

From what I read, he was very nice and freindly and never did any stunts and such. He left that day with many more fans, the younger guys in the T especially think he is a great guy and they don't mind his antics. The guys who fished against Ike this past weekend in NJ are just in awe over fishing a T with him, sad to say I missed it, and would have loved to fish a T with Ike. I seen the pictures form this past weekend and was just another Jersey Boy fishing a local T.

I really think, there is more behind the man than just the screaming and antics everbody hates. I would bet someone is putting in his head that he must do that, to his gain, the antics has put him on the map, whether you love the guy or love to hate the guy, if you fish for Bass you know Ike. For him or his agent, "Mission accomplished".

CJL:cool:

See, now that's the Ike I'd like to see.

I know 90% of his antics are for the camera... and some are pure emotion... but when he plugs his DVD or Book at the weigh in stage of the classic... I get peturbed.

Latest posts

Back