Identification of device

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamb478

Reaction score
Hello all, i just acquired a 1999 Nitro 185 Sport and i have a device that i assumed was a radio though when i went to remove it since it is inoperable i discovered that there is what looks like an alarm wired to it. It is located just forward of the engine controls. The boat has the factory installed Mercury Optimax 150. Can someone please help me identify this device and provide a description? See attached. Thanks

Attachments

• ECF8E100-8862-466B-A2E6-208AFB8B4830.jpeg
    ECF8E100-8862-466B-A2E6-208AFB8B4830.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 55
It looks to be an engine hours meter. The alarm may be for maintenance intervals.

I agree with the above about looking like an owner installed hour meter. How did you determine an alarm was attached if the device in inoperable?

My 98 Nitro 185 has something like that up on the dash on the top right side. It is a depth finder with alarm. Mine says Hummingbird on the top of it.

I agree with the above about looking like an owner installed hour meter. How did you determine an alarm was attached if the device in inoperable?
I pulled the device out and the are two sets of very small diameter red/black wires coming off of it, one set attached to a small red circular device that matches the other alarms in the dash. The back of the device has a “port” if you will for a two wire plug to attach which i assume is the power in and ground. Here’s a close up shot. It doesn’t look to be owner installed, the hole in the hull looks to clean and perfect…other owner installed items are pretty rough looking
EBA64D31-6F26-40B9-B210-D74422BC26A3.jpeg

Follow the wires. If it is a depth finder they should lead to an hull mounted transducer in the bottom of the boat. Mine is set up that way. Power actually goes to the transducer first then a cable goes from it to the gauge.

Depth sounder. I had one just like it on my old boat. Yes the up/down arrows to set the shallow depth alarm.

Latest posts

Back