I need to replace some tackle....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Parker

Reaction score
On my way back to the ramp on Friday (30 mile run), my tackle box blew out of the boat. I didn't even see it go even though it was right next to me.

Has this ever happened to anyone and does homeowners insurance cover it?

:(

Been there done that. I have a $1000 rider because my insurance company said I needed pics of the tacle or reciepts for stuff bought. They gave me $300 I think, had more than that in crankbaits. Gone to a moduluar system also.

fatrap

Gees, makes me losing a fleece coat a very minor issue. I'm showing this to my frau--:D:lol:. I'd have to ask my insurance agent. I'd be embarassed to ask USAA [and my fellow policy holders] to cover something like that.

Trouble now is that you'd like the box to be big enough to get a whole lot of new stuff, but alas, it has to remain small enough to blow out--:blink::blink:.

Word to the wise folks. We had a large part of our community have their insurance canceled a few year ago. There were 3 bad years of storms in a 5 year period. People had their cars and houses hit hard and after insurance paid out they canceled all of the folks insurance. Reason was 3 claims in a 5 year period. Even if they had been with the same insurance company for 25 years and no claims they were canceled. :angry: Most of them now will not put in a claim unless it is catastrophic loss. I have repaired our roof twice in the last 3 years from hail damage out of our own pocket. Some of the folks canceled had their house hit twice and their car hit once while at work in another town that took the hit that year. Cars in the parking lot while people worked. The three claims were very legit claims. So be careful on when you really want to put in claims. It took the local insurance agent a lot of work to move all these people to other carriers.

I forgot that Progressive actually lowers my boat rate every year if I have no claims. Ed's right you may want to look at this very carefully.

Hey Ed. do you know that Bass Pro stocked trout in some of the local ponds in the Council Bluffs area?

fatrap

Other than the tackle i think we found a pretty good pattern for the tournament later this week. Didn't catch anything of size, but I heard that 8lb won a tournament there last week. I got at least that, every day. It rained for two days and we had bluebird skies and 20 mph winds the last day.

Oh, and we found the Hooters.... not bad .....

Steve, you've probably already done this but I'm going to suggest it anyway.

Did you go back and look around on the banks in the area where you think the wind could have carried the tackle box? If it was on Letterman I would bet that a tackle box would float for quite a while. So maybe it blew ashore. Long shot for sure but it could be worth a try.

Ed's right about filing too many claims. Three or four years ago my daughter slid on a wet street and slid over a curb and hit a big landscape rock in a flower bed. It did about $1400 damage to her car. The body shop played with the figures so I only had about $200 out of pocket instead of the $500 deductible but the insurance premium went up over $100 a month for the next 2 years. It would have been much cheaper for me to just paid the 1400 bucks and never told the insurance company about it. My son had a little scrape with another teenage girl a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, the father of the girl understood my point of view and agreed to let me pay for the damage and keep the insurance company out of it.

If you don't find your stuff let us know. I'll bet most of the several hundred members here at NTOWS could find some crankbait, spinnerbaits, plastics, and terminal tackle that they could do without and send you to help you get your collection started again. I know I've got some stuff I could live without.

Good Luck

Harpo

I would chip in on that, I hate to through tackle away and have plenty I don't use I could ship your way...

BF

I don't know about making multiple claims but I have boat insurance that should cover that loss..

Give Steve some of my tackle because he let his blow overboard? Not a chance. If he's that dumb that's his problem!!!! KIDDING, KIDDING,.. I would be more than happy to contribute to the Re-stock Steven Parker's tackle box project even though he let his fly out of the boat... Steven, I know I have some lures and I also have a Shimano tackle bag, brand new, that you are welcome to. The tackle bag is medium size with five plastic boxes...You're more than welcome.

Uncle Billy

Harpo,

Wanna be the point man on tyhe donations.... Might be fun for him after the loss to get some donated stuff...

I know I have some very good green carp stuff I won't ever use... I'll send it somewhere...

You guys are absolutely amazing! Your generosity and caring for the members of this board surpasses anything that I have ever seen.

Unfortunately the tackle box and contents are gone. They are in Louisiana and I have returned home to Alabama. I called the insurance company and the guy said that they were not covered. Bummer :(

Maaaaaaan, that's a real case of the trots.:(

I for one would appreciate the opportunity to help you get back on the lake with some tackle and baits. I'm getting to the point where I'm fishing just certian baits and I need to cull out some perfectly good stuff that just doesn't get wet anymore. I know you're looking forward to spending countless hours and dollars in BPS and Academy replacing it all but you're going to need some stuff right now. I don't know if you are comfortable with posting your mailing address here on the board or not? If you are then that would be great but if you'd rather, anyone wanting to help could e-mail you and you could reply with a mailing address.

Let us know what you think.:)

Harpo

Steve,

I see from your profile you were/are in law school... How is that going. My son graduates in May from Northern Illinois University Law School here in Dekalb, IL. He has managed to get in a fair amount of fishing, but he's not married with kids. :wacko:

Greg,

Law school is going fine. I just passed the half way point, but so far all is well.

Harpo,

I don't mind at all giving my address:

1213 Stoneykirk Road

Pelham, Alabama

I would be more than willing to pay for anything that is sent, if you'll just let me know what you think it is worth.

Thanks again

Great!! Give me a few days to go through my stuff and get it to the UPS Store. I wouldn't consider taking any money for it. Anyway, I still owe Sim a pay it forward.

Harpo

Same here... I owe lots of people a "pay it forward"....

I can probably come up with something. Who knows, i just may need an Attorney when I'm going through Alabama some day. "Your Honor", my Lawyer is Steven Parker! I'm sorry Mr. Barham, I didn't know....Case Dismissed. :lol:

Uncle Billy

I haven't had a chance to go through any of my stuff Steve because of that death in the family but I wll real soon. Probably after the week-end, ok? My big sister is a wreck and I'm spending most of my time with her.

Uncle Billy

I've made it through hard baits. I've got to reinstall my water pump and lower unit today and then I'm going to start going through spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and soft plastics.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back