I knew it was going to be a tough tourney, when . . .

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, I'm back from my weekend on Keowee. Judging how it started on Friday, I should have known.

We (wife and I) got up there around 11:00AM, had lunch and then headed to the lake. Got launched (wife did a good job running the boat while I ran the trailer), and headed out to one of my favorite spots.

I had all my rod's under the passenger console, tied with velcro straps. This is not how I ususally transport them in my own boat, but it's easier to load/carry them from the house. Got my wife all rigged up with her stuff, and she immediately got ready to do battle with a Bandit crank bait off a point.

I got out my rods, and was standing on the front deck taking off the straps and laying down my rods on the deck. NOTE: I don't ususally do this on my boat.

Next thing I know, I'm standing there watching one of my favorite combo's jump overboard, and head towards the bottom to a 65 foot deep grave. Since I didn't have all my 'stuff' out, I didn't have a crankbait out that I could use.

Alas, I was able to watch it down to about 30 feet. I've gps'd the spot - but don't think that it's really feasible to get it back.

The fishing was tough on Friday, as all that we did in 3 hours, was watch 'followers'. Nothing bit. Just followed whatever bait that we used. My wife was leading one around with a crankbait. It followed it just out from the boat for at least 45 seconds.

On Saturday, tourney day, I drew a really nice guy in a 96 Nitro 896 (200 Mariner). Boat ran fine, rode good, and was a nice ride. However, we just were never on fish. He managed three squeakers (12-13") on a c-rig with a small finesse lizard. I got one short, and one about 30 minutes before weigh-in, that never really bit well (c-rig also). As soon as I got him up, he spit the bait. I don't think I ever really had him hooked.

That was a 150 point fish. As it went, I only got 50 points for the tourney (no fish). My first of the year, and we get to drop one tourney - so it likely won't really hurt me; as long as I do okay in the last two tournaments.

I just never was able to convince my partner that we were too close to the shore/points. On Keowee, with crystal clear water, you have to be well off the banks/docks/structure to not spook the fish. When fishing the c-rig pattern (which he did almost all day), we were never more than 20-30 feet from shore. Just too close.

We came back to one of my favorite points (twice in one day), and I made mention of the fact that we needed to be out further. We moved out another 8 feet. Unfortunaely, we just were not in the right area. When we fished docks, we stayed out far enough, but he tended to 'run down the bank', rather than fish throughly.

If I fish the federation trail next year, it will be from the front of the boat.

Going to Lake Hickory (NC) this weekend for a club tourney.

Tex

Tex,

Was the c-rig the pattern you used the most while fishing there? I dont know if you got the chance to read the post you had wrote before you left but I said to give the drop shot a chance on that lake but I have never fished it before so all I could do with those types of conditions is throw out ideas.

Hope you had fun at your tourny.

T.S.

Travis,

I never tried the drop-shot. Drop-shotting on this lake does work, but typically in deeper water. Our problem was that we never fished any deeper water.

Also, I believe for that to be effective, the 'boat' needs to be in a drop-shot frame of mind. We were not.

What I really wanted to do was run primary/secondary main lake points, sitting in 40-60 feet of water - trying to bring the spots 'up' from where they were suspending. Not a technique/pattern that my partner was willing to do.

Tex

Tex-

I take it that you never got "your" time in front of the boat???

Concentrate on the next 2 and pull the 'dump chain' on this tournament...

az

I could have had my time in the front. It was offered to me, with no problems. Since we were fishing most of the water that I wanted anyway, I was somewhat content.

I believed that even if I would have been on the front of the boat, I would have been asked to keep it at the distance/postiion that we were at.

My partner for the day was fishing c-rig with an 8lb line on a spinning outfit. He has some hand/finger problems, and cannot cast very far at all (he's 71).

It is understood, that you are able to have the 'front' of the boat half the day to offset any 'structure/positioning' benefits that may happen. However, that does not mean that you get 'control' of the boat - as in 'where' you are fishing.

No real gripes. Just one of those things that happpens. I pressed my case for being in deeper water further off the bank, just didn't work out.

Tex

Tex, check your Feds rules. MY fed states that the non boater gets 4 hours on the front and that 4 hours the boat is in "control" by the non boater. That means the non boater gets to pick the spots you fish and the boat position as long as there is no chance of damaging the boat.

Jim,

I'll double check that. I need to have a conversation with our Tourney Director on the whole boater/non-boater situation. His explanation to the troops at blastoff Saturday, was insufficeint - in my mind.

Since I was with a Federation Director/Rep., I'm certain that it would have not been a problem, based upon his comments. It just would have put him into a pretty bad spot.

I have to take some of the responsibility myself. Something that I'm trying to do better on ( I did speak up more than usual), but still need to improve on.

Tex

Jim,

You were right. Here is the paragraph:

Operating a boat in a negligent or unsafe manner or in violation of any State or Federal law may result in penalties or disqualification. Each contestant will have the right to occupy the front seat for one half of each Tournament day and to select fishing locations for half the Tournament day. Each boat will be provided a means of Tournament identification, which must be displayed upon request during Tournament hours. Riders will pay boaters a minimum of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) each day for their share of expense prior to blast off.

Tex

$25 !! I didn't get any! My partner quit on Saturday so my professional career is over. 3 tournaments...one 1st place...one 2nd place and one skunk buck.

Teri - You still WON!!! No one can take that away from you!!!

Tex - Thanks for these posts as you learn and grow in the club and Regional T's, it realy helps a guy like me who doesn't fish these yet to learn enough for when I get the time to join a club!

Guys, is that boater/non-boater policy current? I've heard that as of recently you're not required to give the non-boater the front at all. Maybe that's just an Illinois thing. But I wouldn't think so. I'm not saying I have any proof or saw that written anywhere, I just heard it.

Teri,

Not over unless ya want it to be. You seem to have the "knack" and I think you should pursue another partner maybe??

If I am meddling too much just let me know to honk off.

Carlos

Jim,

I got that from the SC Federation Regulations (on-line) yesterday. We can only change rules once a year. Other Federations may have other basic rules.

The one rule that I understand is NOT negotiable, is that everyone must fish with a partner. No 'singles' allowed, or you cannot 'advance' through the Federation Ranks.

Tex

Hey Carlos, HONK OFF !! LOL.

I may drag someone to the next tournament and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back