Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fayette

Reaction score
First and biggest problem: The steering cable has corroded in the guide tube (Stainless cable and Auminum guide tube). I was told this is common and if I take it to a boat dealer for the repair, The estimated cost is $500 or maybe a little less. It don't look to hard to replace if I can find the steering cable replacement. My Nitro is a 1998 16' Rick Clunn Edition, (Hull ID BUJ19527J596). Can anyone tell me the part # or the correct length replacement?

Next problem is the driver overboard engine shutoff switch. It is intermittent. It looks like this is going to be a nasty fix as it is built into the remote throttle control. Does anyone know of an aftermarket safety switch that will reposition to the dashboard, or elsewhere, ? Any help on this one?

Lastly, There is a faint odor of Gasoline when opening the rearmost hatch where the batteries are. The previous owner told me that smell was normal. What say ye on this one?

First and biggest problem: The steering cable has corroded in the guide tube (Stainless cable and Auminum guide tube). I was told this is common and if I take it to a boat dealer for the repair, The estimated cost is $500 or maybe a little less. It don't look to hard to replace if I can find the steering cable replacement. My Nitro is a 1998 16' Rick Clunn Edition, (Hull ID BUJ19527J596). Can anyone tell me the part # or the correct length replacement?

Next problem is the driver overboard engine shutoff switch. It is intermittent. It looks like this is going to be a nasty fix as it is built into the remote throttle control. Does anyone know of an aftermarket safety switch that will reposition to the dashboard, or elsewhere, ? Any help on this one?

Lastly, There is a faint odor of Gasoline when opening the rearmost hatch where the batteries are. The previous owner told me that smell was normal. What say ye on this one?
The steering cable you can get at all marine dealers EBAY need to know the length. but you may have to remove the motor to instill call tracker with you hull number. Mine cost $400.00. Go to search or check eBay for the switch

Do search on-line for boat parts. Great Lakes is one option for older Tracker boat parts.

It may be safest to replace the entire throttle shift lever with the integrated kill switch.

I had problems with gas odor in the compartment of my 2004 882 Nitro as well - this is not normal. The source will most certainly be a leaky gas hose somewhere. I had all my hoses replaced including the gas fill lines and lines to the outboard. Ethanol fuel and age of fuel lines will create leaks over time. Older boat fuel lines did not stand up well to the Ethanol fuel mix. Have your boat engine mechanic replace the lines with proper hoses designed for Ethanol fuel mix and have double clamps installed on all fittings. The worse problem on my boat was with the fill lines - fuel was seeping through the hose as I was filling up.

The steering cable will be marked with a part # and that will have the length of the cable. It will be on one end or the other. And yes you do have to take the motor off the transom and swing it away to pull the cable thru the steering tube . You may have to beat the cable out. Yes they do make a after market safety switch that you can install on the dash. However you will have to get the wires off the old switch by cutting and relocate.

Latest posts

Back