I blew it today need help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD Johnson

Reaction score
Well we took the girls out today and I had a ball but I screwed up.

I didn't really feel like going but I had promised Jennifer and Kourtni so I had to do it. :D

I had the tube on the bow and when I tried to pull up to the doc to pick my wife up I thought the corner of the dock was back farther than it was with the slightly obstructed view.

I hit the corner of the doc and even thought it had plastic bumpers the sharp corner knocked about a fifty cent piece size chunk of gel coat out. :angry: It is right above the corner of the side and the bottom about eight feet back from the bow.

Is there a patch kit available or should I just take it to a pro?

I'm supposed to take it down to our daughters place on Smith Lake Friday, will it hurt anything?

Thanks guys

jdj

Have the pros do it... A good glass guy can patch in that hole and you will never find it again...

Iwas afraid you'd say that, now I'll have to give up the boat for a month. :(

Why do it now? Wait till after the season is over... Just get a large piece of adhesive backed rubber and put it on over the "ding" like a big band-aid...

silicone caulk will keep it from taking in water until you can get it fixed

make sure it is a marine silicone

Is the gelcoat sparckle or just solid color, I just fixed this same size hole if you recall on my Ranger, MarineTex Epoxy, $10 and hard as nails, can be sanded smooth, can be mixed to acheive desired color.

And you can still repair on gelcoat with metal flake, it just won't match.

CJL - Gotta remember that JDJs rig is a Nitro and not a Ranger so he wants it to look good! LOL Couldn't resist!

I guess since Trep has switched teams, I'll have to carry the banner....

I never have that kind of problem with my TIN rig. :lol::p

Harpo

Thanks for the reminder Chris, I'll try to find some Marine Tex and patch it for the season. The boat is solid teal color where the chip is. I'll post a pic of the chip tonight if it isn't raining.

The color can be seen in my library. I can't remember how to post the pics right now
Boat%20Regstration.jpg

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/16996/Boat Regstration.jpg

If It's just the gel coat you will be fine...Get a pro to fix It If your keeping It....

So sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you get it fixed soon, and that it doesn't cost you a bunch of money that could be used elsewhere.... like rods, reels, tackle, etc.... :D

In the future, remember one of the first rules of boating:

Never approach a dock faster than you are prepared to ram into it. :eek:

That was (seriously) the very first thing I was ever told about driving a boat.

All the best,

Glenn

I agree Glen, I really was barely idling until some kind person roaring away from the dock wide open and pushed me toward the corner of the doc which is why the chip iis so low on the boat, the wake raised me up.

Thanks for the tip though.

jdj

JD, When you get ready to fix it, I would suggest C & O Marine in White Bluff, just west of Nashville. They worked on my 929 in 2004, and did an excellent job, could not even tell where the damage was. They are good people too. They were fiberglass repair before getting into the marine bussiness. Good luck! Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

JDJ,

That looks like the same thing I had, maybe a little bigger, but mine was at the worst spot possible, right where the bow roller and bow touch.

In any event, that's a quick fix with Marine Tex, call the Marine Tex Customer Service # in PA, ask to discuss the color matching and you will get some information, make sure you get the White Marine Tex, as this is the one made for the application and can be tinted while mixing. I would suggest mixing a small portion as a sample and let it dry, to see if it matches your hull color.

Hope this Helps,

Chris aka "CJL" not Carlos :lol:

Christopher!!! not Carlos, LMAO, just kidding JDJ it's all good.

I did not have to use tint, becuase my hull is gray, I got some White Marine Tex and Some Black Marine Tex and mixed them together to make gray ;).

If your not good at the finish touch or messin with stuff, you can smooth the Marine tex on and cover it with Saran Wrap, then smooth it more, leave the Saran Wrap on as it dries, it will not stick to it. And also put masking tape all around the repair so you don't apply where it's not needed.

Try to look on the bright side, be happy your boat is glass and can take a beating just imagine if it was a tin rig, you would be lookin at a big ugly dent forever. :eek:;)

Back at ya bubba

Sorry Christopher, dang sometimers desease. It ain't the drugs I swear. LMBO

Thanks for the tips

jdj

Thank you sir, I'll probably have it fixed to insure the color match. My wife says I'm color blind because I can't tell the difference or care about the difference between all these fancy shades of blue red or whatever else they want to call them these days. LOL

Latest posts

Back