I Accidentally Connected My Crank Battery Incorrectly

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 51826

Reaction score
So I shot my self in the foot today taking my boat out for the first time this season. I own a 2017 Nitro Z18 and I discovered that I connected my crank battery incorrectly when trying to start my boat. I should've knew something was wrong when my trim up and down was in reverse. When I trim up, my motor actually trims down and vice versa.

Well it was too late by the time I figured this out. When I tried to start the engine smoke comes from underneath the driver console. I'm afraid to try it again and now I'm thinking I might just take it into the shop to have it looked at.

Has anyone ever done this before and what should I be looking for? After I corrected the cranking battery issue by connecting it CORRECTLY (I'm embarrased), when I turn on my graphs, fish finders, and lights, there's no smoke. It only smokes when I turn my key ignition.... Maybe its the ignition?

Note: When I did find the issue while on the water I tried starting up the engine and it started up successfully. I had to kill the engine once I seen smoke coming from the underneath the driver console from what I assume is the igintion key location.

What a rookie mistake today...

Latest posts

Back