Hub slinging grease

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idriller

Reaction score
2020 Z19 Pro on the tandem axle. Purchased new in July, notice the starboard rear hub was slinging a little grease on the inside of the rim. Took it back to BPS and they said they replaced it. Got the boat back and went to the lake and noticed the same hub was slinging grease again. Just wondering if others have had similar issues.

I wrote about having found a cracked front cover after about three years. The rear seal was acting as you described. I would think that replacing the rear seal would have solved that problem. I'm thinking- just be sure that it's not just residual grease that got thrown off as a result of them not thoroughly cleaning the back of the hub when they did the repair? Are these still the Vortex hubs being used? MIne have performed perfectly other than finding cracked cover cap. They do need to be checked periodically. They are screw on wirth a an O-ring seal behind the threads and made of a very thick plastic type material. Im thinking that I might have cracked one rotating my tires at some point. The other three have never leaked at all- I haven't serviced them or tried to a add grease and they still operate smoothly with no heat build up.

To much grease in the wheel or bad seal on the inside, when someone puts to much grease in a wheel it will sometimes blow the back seal out, especially With bearing buddies where you pump the grease in.

I pulled the wheel, caliper and rotor off and cleaned it up real good, gonna take it out today and see what it does.

To much grease in the wheel or bad seal on the inside, when someone puts to much grease in a wheel it will sometimes blow the back seal out, especially With bearing buddies where you pump the grease in.
It doesn’t have the bearing buddies on it. I hoping they just packed to much grease.

I wrote about having found a cracked front cover after about three years. The rear seal was acting as you described. I would think that replacing the rear seal would have solved that problem. I'm thinking- just be sure that it's not just residual grease that got thrown off as a result of them not thoroughly cleaning the back of the hub when they did the repair? Are these still the Vortex hubs being used? MIne have performed perfectly other than finding cracked cover cap. They do need to be checked periodically. They are screw on wirth a an O-ring seal behind the threads and made of a very thick plastic type material. Im thinking that I might have cracked one rotating my tires at some point. The other three have never leaked at all- I haven't serviced them or tried to a add grease and they still operate smoothly with no heat build up.
Yes they are the vortex hubs.

Well I went to lake close to the house, so its about 20 miles round trip. So when I got home I checked it and there was not any grease On the rotor like before. So I guess the shop just didn’t clean all the old grease off when they repaired it.

Latest posts

Back