How would you handle this?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
OK a little off from boats and fishing but this is the best group I think to give me sound advice on how to "dispose" of a problem! As you all know I am a NY licensed guide. After fishing season I turn to birds, upland in particular. I do however hunt deer for my own enjoyment. Over the past several years, I have had several encounters with poachers and turn them in. When I find bait piles, a urination cleansing process follows, also any salt licks found are disposed of. Spot lighters turned in. This has resulted in me being less than popular by the locals that choose to hunt illegally. I have had a tree stand stolen, land that I was hunting posted improperly to keep me out, until I confirmed that the signs were not supposed to be there and I then destroyed them as instructed by the real land owner. Most all of the events have involved about a half dozen of the same people. Folks that are jealous because despite their valant attempts and breaking the law and harvesting a nice buck illegally, I always bag something admirable and with integrity.

WELL boys and girls this year they took it too far. A word was spread and got back to me via my taxidermist that my 9 point was the 2nd or 3rd buck I shot this year and that last year I took 6. Well apparently I am a much better hunter than I thought since I never even bought a tag last year or took my rifle out because I was too busy guiding for birds. This bum info has finally begun to impact my local business. I contacted DEC, since they know me for turning in poachers, and that I am DEC licensed. They insured me that no investigation was pending and that they are sure that it is the same people just blowing smoke. Should I be fortunate enough to prove where the rumors came from, I have full intentions to sue for slander. However since no official report was made DEC can do nothing. They also informed me that had there actually been a complaint, it would be confidential and no info could have been released. That is bogus! It is small town, and I am liked more than not, so I am sure that the source's identity will eventually make it's way back to me. What would you do? I thinking of asking the go fishing and hold my anchor! LOL Only kidding, don't need to be accused of attempted murder now too!

Rob

Rob,

I can relate to what you said because I lived and hunted for years in a community in NC where poaching was a way of life (spot lighting most popular). I never took a deer or any other game illeaglly, but also never turned anyone in. The community I lived in was one where shine was still made and sold, and segregation was the unwritten law. The Sheriff ran unopposed for 28 years and all the Deputies were kin. If I had ever turned anyone in for poaching I'm sure I would have meet with an unfortunate hunting accident. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

And don't get me wrong. I have no problem fighting for what I think is right, as I served 22 years in the Marine Corps of which 19 months was in Nam. I just believe that when you enter that fight you want the odds on your side.

I have no idea of your situation, or who you're dealing with, but get the odds on your side first.

Russ

This does sound like an ugly situation, and it's too bad it's impacting your livelihood. The bad thing is these folks that are slandering are criminals, and criminals can be unpredictable. Tht's dangerous for you. The good thing is, the bad guys usually always screw up. I like to believe that what goes around comes around. That being the case, these jokers will probably get nailed for a DWI or something. Perhaps you could help that process along a bit by keeping a low key eye on these guys once you find out who it is.

Would it be possible to have the local Conservation Officers kind of keep an eye on these guys? DOes NY have a hunter harrasment law on the books? If not, perhaps you could get one of your local legislators to assist in getting something written up. That's not a quick fix but a noble cause to help protect all legal and honest sportsmen.

I am glad that you are a good outdoorsman. Unfortunately being good outdoorsman comes with the heavy burden of being responsible. Telling lies is done by the weak and ignorant. The weak and ignorant lie because it is easier than being truthful. I have never understood why lies never have to be proven but the truth does. Until these fools are caught at their own game, avoid them while in the woods. They sound like snakes. And until they are stopped, just stand in the light and ask anyone to prove your improprieties. Good folks will understand your dilemma and respect your honesty. Just for the record, I would love to have a neighbor such as you. Keep up the good work.

Barry

Rob -

The ONLY time I have ever felt threatened and in real danger while out was when I confronted some poachers.......

It was a weekday and I was canoeing my favorite stream, the Current River, fishing for trout. I was accompanied by a lady I was seeing at the time. The section I fish is a "Trophy" area - fish must be 15", a limit of 3 per day and only artificials (no soft plastics) may be used. I am almost strictly catch-and-release. I love to go during the week in the summer 'cuz you don't get all the crazy drunks........

This day I was fishing one of the larger holes in the middle of nowhere and 3 canoes with 6 guys drift to the head of the pool....... They start chumming the hole with fish food pellets - then, dropping their lines in, pulling out many small, recently stocked fish and throwing them into their coolers! I had to say something - and I'm afraid that I WASN'T very diplomatic......

Needless to say, my words were not well received........ Two of the men, in one canoe, started dipping into the stream and throwing rocks at me........ Now, you've seen pictures of me at 5'6" and 140#....... Rena, my lady friend was no threat either at about 5'0" and 100#....... BUT - she had been briefed on what to do if anything like this ever took place when we were out in the woods....... She was next to the canoe, reached into the cooled and pulled out my 357! She fired one shot into the air to get their attention! (Mine, too, since I hadn't seen her actions!) Then started walking over to me with the pistol. Then 6 poachers quickly pulled up their lines and took off down the river........

true story! We reported them when we got back - but, to the best of my knowledge, nothing ever happened.

Poaching is a way of life for many people, Rob. I hate it as much as you do. I have confronted blatant acts and reported them - and will continue to do so........

But I don't have to live in the area...... No one knew who I was but the people who hauled my car from put-in to take-out....... And I didn't have to make a living in the area.........

Your business could very well be a result of the economy; everyone else's is....... Your GOOD clients will consider the source of the rumors; the bad clients will also know what started the rumors.......

I applaud your convictions and your guts to stand behind them....... I would only caution you that it is sometimes better to leave direct action to the authorities by simply reporting the offenders without other action on your own part.

God Bless, Rob!

I'm proud to know you!

me!

An after-thought, Rob.......

Give this post some time to collect other reactions and stories....... Then print out the complete post and send copies to your Clients........ They will appreciate AND enjoy it!

me!

The truth has stood tall!!! After the real threat of being sued ran it's course (which took all of about 4 hours since I told a few key motor mouths) the story was revised. Someone by the last name of Langlois not LaMoy was the alleged culprit, and of course one of the individuals I suspected conviently "mixed up" the name with mine. Once he knew he was in over his head, the correction was quick. I may still pursue it just to be certain it NEVER happens again. Ane next year when I get that 12 pointer that escaped unscathed again this year, I will put it on the hood of my pick-up not in the bed, and I will parade by this fellow's house repeatedly! People of integrity expect to be believed, and when thy're not, they let time prove them right!

Rob

Latest posts

Back