How to remove lower cowling on Optimax

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Ratko

Reaction score
I am preparing to change the spark plugs in my 2001 175 Opti. I found all four (4) screws to remove the cowling but there is one in the back waaaayyyy down there that I do not know how to reach. Does anyone have experience with this screw and how to reach it? (#6 spark plug is not accessible without removing cowling)

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Mike

With some cowlings most bolts need pulled allowing room to get to the last one with a flex head or pivot jointed ratchet. Just go slow and don't force anything. You do not want to have to order another one of your cowling pan$. Good luck! ;)

It takes an 8mm socket (1/4 drive) on a U-Joint Adapter, a long and short extension plus patience. Once you do it a time or two it becomes very easy. My ratchet head swivels also which helps. If you want a pic of my set up let me know and I'll post it.

RH

It takes an 8mm socket (1/4 drive) on a U-Joint Adapter, a long and short extension plus patience. Once you do it a time or two it becomes very easy. My ratchet head swivels also which helps. If you want a pic of my set up let me know and I'll post it.

RH
Ron,

A picture is worth a thousand words (and will probably save a thousand attempts).

Thank you...

Mike

Any good tool store should have all the pieces in stock. Here is the picture. Attach the extensions in the order I show. If the short one is down on the U-joint then falls off it is a PITA to recover way down in the cowling. The longer one is easy. Guess how I know...

wrench_zps92e96878.jpg~original

RH

Who would have thought that 4 screws (only 2 of the 4 actually) could be so hard to get out - especially the front one inside the cowling?

I got them out and the lower cowling off with a tool similar to the one Ron posted. Getting them in was another story. Darn gravity.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

An 8mm Flexhead wrench is best for the front one although if you use the U joint and just the 6" extension is just as easy. The first time is the hardest then it gets easier each time. Ya got to wonder who designed that set up though...

One thing I have learned that might help is to use a piece of plastic from a Wal-Mart bag over the head of the bolt then put the socket on. This will make the bolt fit in the socket snug and not as apt to fall out. You can then guide the bolt in the hole without worrying about it falling out. Of course, magnetic holders in your sockets work too. It works good for starting bolts you can't reach by hand. Just be sure not to cross thread it.

Bart,

The plastic bag is a good idea. I sometimes use chewing gum.

One thing I learned this past week it to put the two difficult screws in the port side of the lower cowling before I put it back in place. That way the most difficult task is complete before I begin. Fishing the socket head in is much easier than holding on to the screw sideways in my finger and trying for the hole blind.

Getting the lower cowling off is much easier now that I made the mistakes and found ways to avoid them.

Mike

Latest posts

Back