how to keep livewells empty

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris Phillips

Reaction score
Had my nitro 911 cdc out for the first time tuesday. The two rear deck livewells and the one in the floor filled up with water. I have swithces galore mounted on the dash and toggles mounted in the center console (shift area) that say empty, recirc, and auto. I throw all my bass back so I'd like to know how to keep my livewells from filling up as soon as the boat hits the water and keep them empty!!

Thanks Again

Not sure if this will work for you, but on my boat (with a single livewell), I have Empty, Recirc and Auto as well. If I leave the switch on Recric, it keeps the water from entering the livewell.

Jim nailed it for you. On your 911 you should have your switches set to recirculate before entering the ramp. That should keep your livewells dry unless you get some trash in your valve(s) keeping them from fully closing. Good luck! ;)

Depending on the year of the boat.....the rears will work as advertised. The front on the earlier models was BELOW the waterline and you could not keep water out of it unless you plugged the overflow regardless of where the selector was positioned.

More recent years did away with the from livewell and they broght it back when they made a Z9 CDC. The top of the livewell was raised to deck height, eliminating it from being below the waterline.

Enjoy that 911! One of my favorite boats I have owned. I had 4 of em! (not at the same time...lol)

I'm so glad someone else asked this question.

I have a 2011 Z6 that always gets water into the livewell. The plug is in the bottom and I haven't yet identified where it's coming in from but if stop and fish for say 45mins or so, I have a quarter filled livewll that I then pump out. Always been this way, any ideas?????

thommo - With the plug in I'm at a loss how the well can fill on you. Possibly when in reverse it's pushing through the pump? That's just a guess and the best I have to offer. That is highly irregular with the fill plug inserted in the bottom of the well. Good luck! ;)

Yer, I though so too, when I go out on the weekend, I'll just open the lids and watch for a while, I was going to store some stuff in there when I noticed this but just assumed it was normal until I read this post.

Got mine sorted, the genuine plug is basically a piece of crap and just slowly leaks. I replaced it with one of the t type that you can wind up the pressure and snap it closed, problem sorted! The only time otherwise is you can force it up the overflow by launching very quickly or backing up hard, particularly if there's current or waves.

I have the cheap type and very seldom get water in mine. The fill/aerator is at the top of the live well (live well is forward of the steering console) and the only other place for water to enter is the over flow tube/drain tube.

Latest posts

Back