How NOT To Strap Down Rods

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Murray

Reaction score
Rich...please make a new Message Category, "Stupid Things That Lazy *ss People Shouldn't Do".

Pre-fishing a Tx on Friday and spent lots of time runnin' and gunnin' to graph the lake (no maps available so tried to make my own). Laid two rods down on the deck with the tips under the Rod Buckles. Mentally chastised myself for doing this, but justified it because of the short run I was making. Pulled out onto the main lake, hit a series of HUGE waves and both rods slid from under the buckles, down the side of the hull and into 50' of 55 degree water.

Both were brand spankin' new All Stars with new Curado's (one of them a Christmas present from my little bro'). Only had about three casts on each. Couldn't decide whether to cry, swim after them or beat the dog (kept telling her to fetch 'em up but she just looked at me like I was crazy -- pretty accurate prognosis).

Please learn from my mistake and take the extra 3 seconds to secure your equipment properly!

Oh, man . . . that's a bummer!

My brother-in-law's canoe flipped last year on a river run and he lost nearly all of his spinning rods and reels. Never recovered them.

Can we all have a brief moment of silence for Adam's rods?

(pause)

Who knows, those new rods and shiny reels may still catch a fish or two because . . . (as Neeley would say)

??????

It's hard enough to get good Christmas presents only to lose them like that. I would say forgetaboutit but I know those two poles will haunt you every time you float by them (voice of experience).

Sorry for your loss

Bear

Did you GPS the spot as soon as they flew over??...or at the very least get a good "visual" location with some land point or something,...man, i'd go back there with a lead weighted treble hook and drag for those bad boys,...you'll be able to get them back!!

Hey I got a great idea....put some weight on Trep and let him dredge 'em up!!! LOL

He's too much like a pencil bobber!!!,...You need a sounding Bouy like me or mini!!! LOL

Got a pretty good idea where they're at...gonna wait 'til these winds die down and go do some trolling for them. Any scuba divers out there?? Mini's new partner might look pretty good in a wet-suit...I'm willing to cough up the airfare if she wants to come down and help me (with the rods -- uhh, never mind!)

Try one of those large magnets they sell in BPS catalog...ifn' there's anything on the reels that the magnet will attach to?

Find a diver you can give 50 bux too. Sometimes they will do it, and it's a lot cheaper than buying 2 new rigs. Sorry to hear that. Had that happen with a cell phone once but it landed ON the gunnel rail and I scooped it before it went over, 1 in a million. Or try like Mac said. Get a offshore bottom bouncer about 4-5oz and some good 14lb to get it down there. Tie on as many trebles as law allows, don't want to get ticketed for snagging!

Better idea...have Ken take his meds, give Mac some also, get them on your boat, go to the spot you thought the rods fell out, open a bottle of Corona on Ken's teeth, then throw the bottle in the lake about the location the rods are and watch Mac dive in. Just remind him about the rods before tossing the Corona... OH, use the skeg before launching boat for the limes..

Enjoy!

Barb

ROTFLMBHO...my employees are really gonna think I'm on something!!!

Ken I was thinking of Mac, he'd sink a lot faster and he'd scare all the fish away. You put me down there and the neighboor hood Musky might find me too tasty to pass up LOL

I was wondering about ya'll and work...seems like your replies come awful quick! Mac, shouldn't you be designing my next 4x4 or something?? Lemme know if either of you are hiring, I need a job where I get paid to surf cool sites like this one!!

Adam,...luckily my boss doesn't fish!!..LOL As far as your next 4x4,..it's already in the can,...we're working on your 2nd one from now!!..LOL

There's always a snorkel and fins in my boat, but 50 ft is pretty deep! Send Trep!

If I could stuff myself in a wetsuit,..I'd look like 1/2 the people on TV who pass themselves off as "fit"....LOL

'Course gittin' into my waders is alot like stuffin' a sausage,...without a machine!!! LOL

i think rob has the right idea. and i was thinking 50 bucks even before i read his reply. stan

Latest posts

Back