How much did it weigh?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
Jeanne and I hit Lanier today, fishing was still slow but we did a little better than we have been lately. The highlight of the day was Jeanne boating a 24" striper. He ran off 50 feet of line in a blink, like it was nothing, against a very firm drag, before she got him turned around. We didn't have a scale good enough to weigh it. It's girth was average looking. Any guesses for weight? We were thinking somewhere between 8 and 10lbs.

Also want to say thanks to Jostasu for his long-ago post about vertical jigging, which I remembered and decided to try next to a tall tree stump in 25' of water. Rewarded with a 13" spotted bass within a few minutes of trying the technique. He took it on the fall, John, as you said, and I saw it happen when the line went slack before it should have. Thanks!

I would guess that is about right on the weight of the Stiper. I think you need Jeanne to start posting on the web site to let us know how it is doen. She seems to alway hook the bigger fish..:eek:)

Jigging isn't the most glamorous way to fish. but it is affective at times. Glad to hear it worked for you..

John

Hey Jeanne,

You and Rich ought to come out with me next year in June.

This one was 29" and 10Lbs. The keeper limit is 28" and the average fish is between 24 and 27" and 5 to 8 Lbs.

Love the Stripers

Marke
Keeper_Striper_web.jpg

Devyn was a little scared, but Brandyn was all over it. Jill was a bit upset because they just got out of the bath tub and had clean pj's on.

Marke
My_little_helper_web.jpg

Great job Rich and Jeanne! The lake has cleared up immensely and the fishing is getting much better. Above River Forks Park just below the riverbend at Gainesville Marina has surface stripers chewing up smaller shad. There are some decent spots in with them. We beat on them pretty good swimming a .6oz. Flex-it spoon in and around the commotion this morning. Early on a 3/8oz chrome/blue chug bug and a High Roller caught some better sized fish, but not near as steady as the spoon bite. Congrats again!

I think what Jeanne meant was, "Most of the time Richard is piloting and NOT finding the fish..." :)

Marke, be careful what you offer...we are from that part of the world, and ya never know who might show up on your doorstep saying, "Marke, you goin' fishin' today?" :)

Nice striper pics!

Jeanne -

With the results you get, maybe I should be lookin' for a fishing date with you instead of Penny Berryman! (Yeah, if you have to, you can bring Rich........)

Marke -

Nice Catch!

me!

Nice Striper Marke! Nothing like catching those bad boys especially when their hit'n on top. If you ever get down this way, I'll take you out on Lake Texoma on the Oklahoma/Texas line. Its pretty well known for it's stripers.

John K.

YEOW....Imagine the words you would've come up with if you would've broke off or came unbuttoned an hour into it!! What kind of tackle do you use?? I've never stripper fished.

Mac

Mac,

You've done plenty of "stripper" fishing....it's the stripers you haven't tried yet!!!!!!

Adam,

I've fished it several times and have always had luck even when they were'nt really turned on. Some of the best luck I've had was off of Wa****a Point. Although, like you, during the summer time it's hard to stay away from those islands. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!!

Are you from these parts?

John K.

Latest posts

Back