How many of you collect old tackle "other than" lures?

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I have a few old reels that I like to keep on a little shelf in my workshop. Among those, my favorite is a Shakespeare Marhoff 1964S. It's my favorite simply because it's in excellent condition, and I have the original box for it. I also have a nice little Pflueger Rocket #1355 and a Pflueger Trump #1943.

However, I have picked up a few odds and ends of yester-year throughout my lifetime. Some, I had as a kid. Others, I picked up along the way.

What I have here is a sample of some of the "collectables" I keep on my shelf. Junk to some, but to me, I thought they were pretty cool reminders of years past.

"Gem" For Baitcasting Dupont Nylon fishing line in a double package. Both spools unopened

"Mason" Super Soft Spinning line

"Sunset" Braided Monofilament (Multicolored! When's the last time YOU fished with that?) :lol:

Mustad-Aberdeen Ringed Bronze 100 count #4 hooks in a little green package. Made by O. Mustad & Son, Oslo Norway. All of my hooks used to come in packages like this when I was a kid.

Pflueger Speede Oil in a glass bottle

Langley "De-Liar". I had one as a kid in my tackle box.

Old yellow handled fishing knife. I think this style is called a "Texas Toothpick", but I could be wrong. I don't know my knives too well.

Anyway... I like collecting this kind of stuff. Thought I'd share part of my collection. Anyone else collect this kind of stuff?

DSCF1443.jpg

Oh yeah! I almost forgot. I also have a few older lures. Here's a glass-eye Pikie Minnow, a Dowagiac Spook, and a "Foss Pork Rind Minnow" with box:

DSCF1442.jpg

All the best,

Glenn

I have quite a bit of stuff..I have given my daughters alot to keep for the Great Grandkids..I have some really old lures and reels .I have that same yellow knife and I have It In white also...got that scale also My old baitcasters used the braid ,That stuff would pull a truck..tough to cast..still got some..got some old penn reels also.JR

I have some old stuff a buddy found for me in Alabama. But other then that..not that much.

I do try and get a lure from each country I go to now though....have a pretty cool foreign collection going.

I have a moderate amount of "stuff". Some really unique and some bizarre. And, I have well over 200 old Johnson reels. Yeah, I know, "those green things". Well there are over 300+ different variations of Johnson reels (a lot of subtle, internal differences) that collectors want one of each! I don't hjave any loaded up to my library so I won't bore you with posts... I just like collecting them and would love to get them all (won't happen). An acquaintance, a retired doctor is only a handful short of every one. He's why no one else will ever get them all...he has a few of the "only one left" reels.

Finally, I have a few other miscellaneous old reels... I like a few of the classics from Pfleuger, Shakespeare, Fin-Nor, etc... And, I like the "bizarre"... I have some really weird ones... ideas that should have stayed on the bar napkin and never been produced. Others, are like the very first attempts by Zebco, useable but not very well refined.

BTW, Zebco was the Zero Hour Bomb Company.They made time bombs to fracture oil wells (funny idea!) They thoght they needed something else... They made their first reel in 1951. m (See link below) I have a few of these also.
http://www.zebco.com/historicalzebco.html

I've got some old Shakespeare, ABU's, Shimano, Daiwa, and Ryobi reels. I've kept a good bit of old Scandanavian fishing lures and tools from my Bestefar. (Grampa) Assorted gadgets and what-not fills the shelves in the man cave with a few shadow boxes, but a collector I'm not. I just enjoy the nostalgia mixed with the new stuff in my Fortress of Solitude. :D

I mostly collect Heddon. Crazy crawlers are my favorite. I have a few old reels, and some old novity lures. Yhe stuff you have Glenn is nice. The keyword in collecting fishing taclle is "mint" and boxed for any value. I have several worthless pieces, but I would not get rid of them. Collect what you like, and enjoy them.

Bubby:)

Latest posts

Back